Nighttime Golf Tournament

fracisco

Reaction score
Handicap
Came across this photo in today's L.A. Times of a night time golf tournament that was run in the 1950's in the no longer around Inglewood Country Club.

Got a kick out of the mobile lighting team.

fa_1075_nightgolf970.jpg

http://framework.latimes.com/2014/01/08/1952-golf-tournament-at-night/

Bagger Vance style. Looks pretty cool and had a decent crowd.

How fun would that have been just watching the lights alone!

I like the guys driving around with lights on their heads

Ha, I was expecting to see glow-the-dark balls and glowsticks on the flags when I clicked on this.

What a great picture! Love it!

That is cool.

My son would love one of those helmets for bedtime.

My understanding from asking around is that the Inglewood Country Club was redeveloped into the sports arena known as the Forum, longtime home of the Lakers & Kings before Staples Center was built. There was another golf course nearby in Fox Hills that was redeveloped into a mall. Fortunately there are still some old courses around that were built in the 1920's, and are public, notably Rancho Park and Chester Washington. I can't find any pictures of either the original Inglewood CC or Fox Hills GC.

If you get a chance, click through the link. The golfer teeing off is Joe Louis, and the winner was Lloyd Mangrum, golf’s leading money winner of 1951.

I like the guys driving around with lights on their heads

They don't mention it but I'm pretty sure the guys with the lights on their heads had to drive around while playing the kazoo.

Cool, classic picture!

Those helmets would be nice for reading at night. My questions is why are they not forecaddying? That's a great find though!

They don't mention it but I'm pretty sure the guys with the lights on their heads had to drive around while playing the kazoo.

Cool, classic picture!

It also doesn't mention that they were all active members of the local Shriner's charity group, and they participated in local parades on the weekends (just kidding on this part).

Very cool photo. Sure would have been a fun tourney to watch.

When I was growing up, my buddies and I used to play nighttime golf at Rolling Hills GC in Tempe, AZ. Of course, the lighting system was a bit different than at Inglewood GC, but it was still fun to play.

That's a really cool picture. I played in a night golf scramble for the first time with friends this year, had a blast and we placed second too.

nice!!! Im picturing them riding into bunkers lol,,,that would be a great picture blown up on my game room wall

:act-up:Not being a jerk..but you guys can play golf ..I will drive around on the bike with the lights...I would have a blast doing that

Back