NIke buying Taylormade?

They're already participating in golf. Their hard goods brand failed for a few reasons. Being built from the ground up, poor economy, less than stellar sales. It was hard for them to compete with the likes of taylormade which if I remember correctly may have been the biggest equipment OEM at the time. If they can buy and turn a profit I don't see why they would care. I think if it helped solidify their soft goods products it would be a great investment for them. But, that's just my thoughts. Like you, I really don't have any insight into Nikes business decisions.

I think the biggest reason they dialed was because non golf people were dictating what their amazing r&d team could do/put out.

they had an all star team and Nike messed it up by trying to control too much instead of letting golf peopledo the golf thing.

Don't Callaway, Titleist, Bridgestone, and Taylormade make their golf balls in the States?

Titleist has their main ball plant here yes. Bridgestone has one yes but also over seas. Taylormade..... they’re mainly done in two different plants over seas. Callaway I believe is mainly here tour ball wise. Not sure about their super soft and other lines. At least this is pretty darn accurate as of a year or so ago.

Titleist has their main ball plant here yes. Bridgestone has one yes but also over seas. Taylormade..... they’re mainly done in two different plants over seas. Callaway I believe is mainly here tour ball wise. Not sure about their super soft and other lines. At least this is pretty darn accurate as of a year or so ago.
Titleist makes tour balls both in the US and overseas. Taylormade makes some golf balls in South Carolina. Bridgestone makes most of their balls here.

When I first heard TM was up for sale, Nike was the first company I thought about. They certainly have the cash. Will be interesting follow.

I don't see Nike getting back into the golf hardware business. The profit margins are just too low. Their ROI in clothing and accessories is much higher. Just don't see Nike making the move but stranger things have happened. :eek:

I wouldn't mind the decision to bring them in.

Mostly because I think it'd give Nike a shot in hell of actually having an idea what golfers would willingly wear on a golf course, in materials that help them - not the garbage they've been calling golf apparel for the last few years.
Nah, I’m afraid they’re stuck where they are now with the worst visual designs in golf apparel. They give loudmouth a run at times. :ROFLMAO:

Nah, I’m afraid they’re stuck where they are now with the worst visual designs in golf apparel. They give loudmouth a run at times. :ROFLMAO:
Loudmouth is at least comfy. Nike is not.

See, I would still argue that until I die having worn loudmouth in the heat. :ROFLMAO:
I had a friend that had a shirt. It was at least 4 way stretch. I have no idea what their pants were like. Nike seemed like the last company on Earth to offer 4 way stretch shirts.

Loudmouth is at least comfy. Nike is not.
See, I would still argue that until I die having worn loudmouth in the heat. :ROFLMAO:
Loudmouth...comfy? Huh

I like Nike's apperal. Some clunkers in there, but I'm general they fit my well, now Puma has ridiculously comfortably clothing.

I had a friend that had a shirt. It was at least 4 way stretch. I have no idea what their pants were like. Nike seemed like the last company on Earth to offer 4 way stretch shirts.
Strange, Nike has long used tech materials.

I don’t believe or trust anyone who’s Youtube video title has incorrect grammar.:facepalm:

I'll sell my Taylor Made clubs and never buy them again if this happens. ;)

Strange, Nike has long used tech materials.

Their TW line was a blend of non-tech with tech along with a few others like that.
Yet they refused to make the move to good natural fiber like wool (and when we asked they said it was too costly currently). That was a number of years ago though.

Their TW line was a blend of non-tech with tech along with a few others like that.
Yet they refused to make the move to good natural fiber like wool (and when we asked they said it was too costly currently). That was a number of years ago though.
I say we go back to 1998 cotton. Are you with me? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I say we go back to 1998 cotton. Are you with me? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

i am not wearing cotton end of July beginning of august...

Financially, I think it would only make sense to them if their golf branded soft goods would benefit, but they seem to remain pretty relevant in that space without any hard goods. The other possibility would be if they saw a way to acquire on the cheap, increase profits and then sell it off again, which is a lot of work and considering the latest golf boom I don't think it would be on the cheap, which is perhaps why TM is on the market again. Third possibility would be if they just wanted to be back in the space for personal reasons, but then they would be acquiring a company that was under Adidas not too long ago and I wonder if that would play into Nike's ego at all?

I spent a little time consulting for a chemical company who worked with apparel brands. Almost everyone has a technical fiber they use. The cost seems to get caught up in the treatments they use to offer anti sweat, comfort or whatever.
I dont see Nike wanting back into golf hard goods. I think they will at some point cut off more retailers and control more and more of their sales. Whether that is online or in-store remains to be seen. Doing footwear and apparel fits into their wheel house and they source it better than nearly anyone.

Why did Adidas pawn it off and why would Nike think it would do better?
Didn't Adams sell to Taylormade because of a patent dispute so TM just purchased them?

Loudmouth MIGHT actually more material forward than Nike at this point.
I’ve intentionally not bought Nike polos or shorts for about 8 years now so I wouldn’t know :ROFLMAO:

I’ve intentionally not bought Nike polos or shorts for about 8 years now so I wouldn’t know :ROFLMAO:
I remember when adidas came out with the great material for ultimate, my course stocked Nike purely as a comparison to sell more adidas hahahaha

Savages.

I haven't bought or worn anything Nike in almost 30 years. My dislike for them goes way back before all the more recent stuff.

They broke into the hockey market with their skates and sticks when I was playing adult rec league hockey in the '90s. Our local mom and pop hockey shop wanted to carry their equipment because it was hugely popular with the kids. The Nike sales rep came in, audited their books and said they didn't do anywhere near enough sales volume for Nike to do business with them. So they screwed a small business, and of course all the kids who would've bought from them went and bought their stuff online - money that would have gone to a local family trying to keep their business afloat. That was the start of my Nike boycott, and it's been absolute and total ever since. The more recent stuff they've done just reinforced it.

Here's an example of how strongly I feel about it - we traveled to Vegas for a golf trip in November a few years back and it was unexpectedly frigid. I hadn't packed any long pants, jackets or anything. I was freezing and absolutely miserable while we were playing, and one of the guys said he had a spare long sleeve pullover in his bag if I wanted to borrow it. Of course I did! He pulled it out and it had the big Nike logo on the front of it. Nope, no thanks. I played the rest of the round in short sleeves, freezing my a** off, rather than wear that Nike pullover.

I haven't bought or worn anything Nike in almost 30 years. My dislike for them goes way back before all the more recent stuff.

They broke into the hockey market with their skates and sticks when I was playing adult rec league hockey in the '90s. Our local mom and pop hockey shop wanted to carry their equipment because it was hugely popular with the kids. The Nike sales rep came in, audited their books and said they didn't do anywhere near enough sales volume for Nike to do business with them. So they screwed a small business, and of course all the kids who would've bought from them went and bought their stuff online - money that would have gone to a local family trying to keep their business afloat. That was the start of my Nike boycott, and it's been absolute and total ever since. The more recent stuff they've done just reinforced it.

Here's an example of how strongly I feel about it - we traveled to Vegas for a golf trip in November a few years back and it was unexpectedly frigid. I hadn't packed any long pants, jackets or anything. I was freezing and absolutely miserable while we were playing, and one of the guys said he had a spare long sleeve pullover in his bag if I wanted to borrow it. Of course I did! He pulled it out and it had the big Nike logo on the front of it. Nope, no thanks. I played the rest of the round in short sleeves, freezing my a** off, rather than wear that Nike pullover.
Different strokes. I adore Nike golf shoes.

If Nike ever plans to get back into the equipment game, I’m not sure there will be a better window.

Back