Nike pushing for tights on the PGA Tour?

Time will tell. Marketing isn't a 100% guarantee that it will make someone buy it. But getting people talking is the first step to then getting people to buy or sparking interest. To be fair, the Puma jogger thing just happened during a time where the vast majority of people aren't out golfing. And it's certainly not the hardcore golfers that are going to be buying them either. So we'll have to revisit this by the end of the year and see what happened.

Remember the Taylormade PSi irons? Neither does anyone else. If you don't market them to get people talking, they will fall by the wayside. Even a silly conversation/argument about these is a big step on getting them in the back of people's minds.

Again, I don't think the comparison is realistic. A typical set of irons vs something that isn't seen.

Maybe if Taylormade drills a few holes into their next set and adds tassels, then markets, we'll have a comparable hahahaha

It's all for good discussion. Think there's some great points in this thread and the concerns brought up is why I don't think the PGA will approve of it.

I'm with you on the pants front. I haven't either, I just can see how someone could shape an argument around it.

I think the best argument around compression leggings would be about skin care and I strongly respect and support anyone trying to avoid the sun. In terms of general compression, I've been known to wear compression underwear and find it beneficial but not exactly necessary, just don't see the added benefit of extending it beyond the knee which leaves me at fashion over function and generally indifferent on wearing them over pants.

Again, I don't think the comparison is realistic. A typical set of irons vs something that isn't seen.

Maybe if Taylormade drills a few holes into their next set and adds tassels, then markets, we'll have a comparable hahahaha

Tassels...you might be onto something.

It seems that there are those who do not think it would look good and I understand that. My question is for those people do you think the Loud Mouth pants that JD is allowed to wear look better on tour then a nice pair of shorts and leggings?

I started wearing them more late last year after a visit to the dr.

I have started wearing them more and also using sin block which is something I ignored for a long time even when playing baseball/softball tournaments where we spent hours in the sun.

there are enough stories of golfers I know or some on tv that have had some degree of skin cancer. I have started using an umbrella when I walk to help keep the sin off me and have been considering picking up on of the uv umbrellas instead of using a regular one for the added protection.

Do you think the USGA would approve them if they added 17 yards?

As long as they don't help with greenside spin or putting, sure.

will it ruin the game? no. does it look stupid? yes. but there's a lot of acceptable golf fashion that looks stupid. if that's what somebody wants to wear, go for it. i don't see it violating any etiquette rules. but i don't want to see it on the pga tour.

Its funny to me how sleeves under short sleeve are "accepted" but the exact same thing done on the legs is not.
Golfers are such a funny bunch.
I remember when the mock shirt was this same exact conversation because it wasnt a collar.
I remember when soft spikes and sneakers were going to ruin the game.
I remember when flat brims and orange loud clothes were taboo.

This is all in the last 20 years. Crazy thing is I wear none of them (I think most are awful looking) and still kind of chuckle at how against it people are.
The mock turtle neck was downright laughable. These same conversations with the same "board members" at the same clubs all said the exact same thing. Two years later, they were everywhere.

I still don't see how compression tops are comparable to bottoms?

For whatever it's worth, the guys at this club never condemned Fowler's look. They actually embraced it from the beginning. The club hosts a major junior tournament won by some of the greatest names in professional golf when they were juniors, both male and female. I should also mention this tournament isn't sponsored by AJGA or any other organization because the club insisted players wear soft spikes 5 years before many of the junior organizations.

I think the best argument around compression leggings would be about skin care and I strongly respect and support anyone trying to avoid the sun. In terms of general compression, I've been known to wear compression underwear and find it beneficial but not exactly necessary, just don't see the added benefit of extending it beyond the knee which leaves me at fashion over function and generally indifferent on wearing them over pants.

What's funny, is despite my argument 'for', it's nothing I would ever wear. Then again I can't stand the look of a compression top under a short sleeve polo. I don't find myself be restricted by simply wearing a long sleeve polo or sweater and prefer the more classic look on the course.

It's something that's done in other sports, such as running. I don't know all the ends and outs of the benefit of compression on the muscles, but people do it.

I still dont understand how its not considered the same thing.
They are both compression apparel that go underneath your regular apparel.
One being on the top and one being on the bottom and it causing a major riff is crazy to me.

joint warmth and helps with muscle fatigue are benefits of wearing compression clothing as well, plus the sweat wicking feature. Sun protection is an added benefit assuming they have uv protection material

I still don't see how compression tops are comparable to bottoms?

For whatever it's worth, the guys at this club never condemned Fowler's look. They actually embraced it from the beginning. The club hosts a major junior tournament won by some of the greatest names in professional golf when they were juniors, both male and female. I should also mention this tournament isn't sponsored by AJGA or any other organization because the club insisted players wear soft spikes 5 years before many of the junior organizations.

and I don't see how the two are separate, just something with two different opinions.

Great discussion though.

Hey Canadan,
Why do you like Swiftwick socks? Do you think the compression has a benefit?
The same could be applied here, no?

Then again, I make the argument. Why allow compression tops under golf polos?

The intended purpose of the top is for core warmth, that is how Under Armour started it's business. Leggings or tights aren't necessary or practical for core warmth in my opinion. As for the private club, they can make whatever determination they choose I suppose. It's their club.

Hey Canadan,
Why do you like Swiftwick socks? Do you think the compression has a benefit?
The same could be applied here, no?

I love swiftwick. I don't know much about compression, but I enjoy how they don't move when I play.

That's why I think when you lead with something 'new' like this, lead with all of the reasons why it aids golfers, not just to tell them to wear whatever the heck they want. I think this conversation would be much more beneficial with a clear understanding of the benefits of compression in the calves and knee areas. Then it's not 'look at the dude in Yoga pants' it's 'maybe I should try out a pair to see if it helps my game'

But, I'm not a marketer. I am sure Nike knows what they are doing.

The intended purpose of the top is for core warmth, that is how Under Armour started it's business. Leggings or tights aren't necessary or practical for core warmth in my opinion. As for the private club, they can make whatever determination they choose I suppose. It's their club.

Again, I would argue that compression is not only used for warmth.

It's something the club would have to have in writing, would be my guess or expand the fitness clothing rule. I know that in enforcing our dress code, I can't simply ask someone to change or leave because I don't like the look of what they are wearing.

And this is my point. Six, if Nike came out with detailed marketing about 'compression pants' and how it would genuinely benefit your golf game, would you be taking the same approach to all this? I personally don't think you would, as it becomes an element of game improvement over a description of 'leggings' or 'tights'.

and I don't see how the two are separate, just something with two different opinions.

Great discussion though.

Something else we can agree on! Great discussion. I have enjoyed it.

And this is my point. Six, if Nike came out with detailed marketing about 'compression pants' and how it would genuinely benefit your golf game, would you be taking the same approach to all this? I personally don't think you would, as it becomes an element of game improvement over a description of 'leggings' or 'tights'.

Didn't Freddie mention some of the benefits in the other thread? I may be wrong, but think it was touched on.

Didn't Freddie mention some of the benefits in the other thread? I may be wrong, but think it was touched on.

He mentioned they were targeting certain areas of compression, yes. What does that mean though?

It's something the club would have to have in writing, would be my guess or expand the fitness clothing rule. I know that in enforcing our dress code, I can't simply ask someone to change or leave because I don't like the look of what they are wearing.

You are dead right. It is not only for warmth, nor is UA the only ones making it, or even the first company that made it.

Admittedly, I think this club is skirting a fine line claiming these to be "exercise clothing", especially when it is allowed for the women to wear. But if they deem this to be the case and they put it in writing and distribute it to the membership, they can enforce it however they choose.

He mentioned they were targeting certain areas of compression, yes. What does that mean though?

I'm not sure. Certain muscle groups, perhaps? Someone who knows the benefits of compression on muscles may be able to expand on this more?

I'm not sure. Certain muscle groups, perhaps? Someone who knows the benefits of compression on muscles may be able to expand on this more?

And I think that goes into the whole drawing comparison to compression tops thing... I've never worn a compression top with the intention of supporting my joints or muscle groups. Ever.

Back