Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

nice pics mcook, wish we had some of that weather here...

Test Date: 09/08/11
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo 5,6,7 irons with PX graphite shaft 5.0 flex
Testing Purpose: Testing to see the workability of the Splits
My Club: I am using the testing clubs but my prior set was the W/S Di11's
Ball Used: Range balls in good to very poor condition
Environment: Outstanding. A little cooler with no breeze. Ground is very wet due to rain the past few days. For whatever reason I tend to chunk the ball a little on wet ground

Well this week I have moved up to the Split Cavities as my focal point. Nike states that the Split Cavities give you pin seeking control and workability. Let’s put the SC’s to the test. Tonight I will focus on the workability aspect.

Got to the range and managed to snag a primo spot down at the end.

Hit some wedges and short irons to loosen up. Felt like I was swinging well so I should be able to give these irons a good test. Hit some shots with the 5 iron and I was catching the ball high on the face. Moved the ball back a smidge and my contact was more solid. It is astonishing what a difference there is for me between the 3,4 Pocket Cavs and the 5I Split Cav. I have no confidence issues when pulling the 5 iron. Directionally I can push or pull it, but I will make solid contact with the ball. Heck I have more confidence in trying a fade punch shot with the Split Cavs than I do any shot with the Pockets. Here is a small side on video of me after having moved the ball back a little and also a close up video of ball contact

So as I said before I feel like I am hitting the ball solid enough that I can try working the ball. Generally I play a straight shot but I also like to have the workability in the bag. Sometimes a shot just calls for trying to draw the ball to the pin. So I take the Splits and hit 3 balls with each iron. First shot will be a draw, second shot straight, third shot a fade. Of course that is if all goes according to plan. Here is the results video

Well that went pretty well. Not every shot went perfect but I will say that none of the shots were OB. Ball contact was pure. Some shots were a tad chunky but probably no more than 5 yards lost. I’m talking a few grooves too high rather than out on the toe.

For my next trick I thought a test of flight was in order. We all have those times where we need to hit the ball lower. Sure I can say it’s because of the wind but we all know it’s usually a shot played from the woods just trying to get back to the fairway or a miracle shot from deep in the woods trying to hold the green. Lets take a look

Again I will say I was pretty happy with contact. The shank was awful but almost all the other shots were very nice just in terms of contact. Had a little bit of trouble trying to keep the 7I low. Not sure what was going on with it. Ball just wanted to go high.

As usual my ball marks were in toward the heel. Feel like I had a solid night. I usually struggle a little bit when hitting on wet ground. Had no such issues tonight. In fact the first round I played with these I shot a 77 in very wet conditions. These sticks are true mudders. Divots were pretty good with just a couple of deep ones that were mainly the first few shots. The poor range after my session

Another solid review CL! Definitely some messy turf that you were slinging around. Funny seeing you describe a shot as "chunky". Oh, the irony. :D

Tappin' from my iPad!

Great update chunky

Great vid vids there chunky. Looks like ya were hitting them clean mate.

Great updates mcook and Chunky, I loved the picks of the course and the updates buddy, and CL, great video updates. You guys are doing a hell of a job in this testing thread. I love coming in here and reading all the reviews.

After a weekend away, a cold, and 5 straight days of rain, I finally managed to get out onto the course!! Started off rough with two doubles but managed to mix in three birdies and finish 8 over.

I was hitting a lot of thinned shots on the range which made me a bit nervous about how the round would go, but I don't think I hit more than one thinned iron during my round itself. I didn't really make a concentrated effort to work the ball, but continued my attempt to avoid any sort of a draw.

Note to make: I play the tournament tees at my course which play at about 6600 yards. I drive the ball pretty well, so my 50-54-58 wedges (125 and in) get a pretty solid workout..

:: My first hole featured a 7 iron which I had to hit over a tree, and then possibly fade a bit to get it onto the green. I hit it straight.. into a bunker pin high, about 175 yards out.. But it was excellent contact and felt great.
:: The next hole featured a pitching wedge in the rough on a downhill lie that never really jumped. Came out soft and fell short of the green.
:: Hole 3 put an 8 iron in my hand from 160. The flight was high with a very slight draw that landed about 5 yards short, and sucked back about 5 feet.
:: The next hole I used a VR Pro iron was hole 6, with another pitching wedge from about 130. I hit it about two ball lengths behind the ball and while the flight was fantastic, it came up about 15 yards short of the target.
:: Hole 9 gave me 185 yards on a lie that was slightly above my feet. I overdrew the ball, although I hit it all kinds of pure, about 5 yards past the hole and left of the green.
:: Hole 13 put a 6 iron in my hands from about 175 yards. I didn't put a great swing on the ball, with it drawing out to the left and short of the pin, but on the green.
:: Hole 14 was a 7 iron from 170 that again overdrew and I knew it as soon as I hit it. A better connection though, and it ended up pin high but just off the green.

:: Hole 15 was what I was dreading.. Well, that and hole 16 are two holes that quite often put my 4 iron into my hand, which I have been struggling to find the right swing with. Today was a great success though. Going for the par 5 in 2, I knew I could draw the ball a bit, but the 4 iron has been overdrawing on me in a big way. The shot was about 195, and I put a great swing on it, with the ball drawing around the front bunker and just long of the hole. It looked and felt great!

:: Hole 16 was about 180 but sitting on the front of the green so I opted for a 5 iron to be safe. I struck it extremely well, very small draw, and landed it about 10 yards+ past the hole, with the ball flying right over top. Was extremely happy about it.
::Hole 18 was a 6 iron from 170 (front of the green, lots of bailout in the back).. I blocked it out to the right -- probably avoiding my draw -- and never really gave it a chance.

In summary, I think it was a great day with the VR Pro Combos. There were not too many shots I'd want back, and while I would probably argue that a bit more forgiving club could have helped my overdraws today, I don't think it would be enough to trade the feedback and topline that I love so much about these for. I do have some concerns about the distance control as it seems like I am finding a club-length worth of distance variable in clubs depending on how well struck they are, but it really hasn't been much of an issue.

Looking forward to at least a couple more rounds this weekend. Hopefully I can limit the draw and the darn double bogeys.

I was just wondering if any of you that have had these for a while now have gone back and looked at your old set, or compared them to any of the other new sets from other manufacturers? The reason I ask is that tonight I was at the mall and needed to kill some time while I waited for my wife so I went into Dick's. I pulled a few irons off the wall just to look at them - mainly the new R11's, but I looked at a few others too. I couldn't help but notice how big and clunky most of them looked and how thick the top line looked. They didn't have a set of the Pro Combo's for me to do a direct comparison, but they all appeared HUGE. Am I the only one that thinks that?

I have been wanting to at least try the R11's, because even though I really love the Pro Combo's, I can't help but feel the extra forgiveness of the cavity back might be good for my game. I don't normally try to work the ball, so I am not sure if getting a players iron was the best thing for me or not. But now that I have seen the R11's in person, I am not sure I could go back to a larger headed club with a thicker top line. I am shooting my best scores ever with the PC's, so maybe I should just stick with them.....hmmmm. Decisions - decisions.

Not sure where to begin. You guys are taking this to a new level. Fantastic job.

Not sure where to begin. You guys are taking this to a new level. Fantastic job.

+1. loving this thread. These irons seem to be perfect for a mid-handicapper! I would love to hit these a bunch!

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

I was just wondering if any of you that have had these for a while now have gone back and looked at your old set, or compared them to any of the other new sets from other manufacturers? The reason I ask is that tonight I was at the mall and needed to kill some time while I waited for my wife so I went into Dick's. I pulled a few irons off the wall just to look at them - mainly the new R11's, but I looked at a few others too. I couldn't help but notice how big and clunky most of them looked and how thick the top line looked. They didn't have a set of the Pro Combo's for me to do a direct comparison, but they all appeared HUGE. Am I the only one that thinks that?

I have been wanting to at least try the R11's, because even though I really love the Pro Combo's, I can't help but feel the extra forgiveness of the cavity back might be good for my game. I don't normally try to work the ball, so I am not sure if getting a players iron was the best thing for me or not. But now that I have seen the R11's in person, I am not sure I could go back to a larger headed club with a thicker top line. I am shooting my best scores ever with the PC's, so maybe I should just stick with them.....hmmmm. Decisions - decisions.

I played the Mizuno MP-63 irons beforehand, so the size variable was minimal at best. I will tell you that playing the Mizuno's, playing the MP-32's before them (blades), and now the Nike's, swinging anything larger (like MikeDean's TM CBs or Burner 2.0s) just looks super clunky and awkward.

I don't think you should avoid swinging other irons on account of their size because you're absolutely going to get more forgiveness out of some sets, but it will definitely take time to get comfortable standing over a bigger club. At least that's how I feel about it.

What's funny for me, is the biggest issue I had in hitting both irons was the difference in the grooves. The VR Pro grooves are super narrow, whereas the Mizuno's are fairly spread out and wide. It was just really weird looking at them.

Very nice write up Canadan. I'm still not sure I would want to give up forgiveness for a little more feel but man they are good looking.

Very nice write up Canadan. I'm still not sure I would want to give up forgiveness for a little more feel but man they are good looking.

You might if you felt the way I did after a couple of my shots today lol... Literally struck the ball and thought in my head "OHHH YEAAAAHH!!!!" like the Koolaid guy haha!

You might if you felt the way I did after a couple of my shots today lol... Literally struck the ball and thought in my head "OHHH YEAAAAHH!!!!" like the Koolaid guy haha!

I know the feeling, and I love the look and how these irons play, I just love a middle of the road iron that gives me some forgiveness and some feel.

I know the feeling, and I love the look and how these irons play, I just love a middle of the road iron that gives me some forgiveness and some feel.

I was just messing around haha.. There has been some incredible changes being made to the cavity back style in the last couple years, and it sounds like you've really found something in the R11s.. I think as the year progresses I'll check out a larger iron to see how much better my game could be by making the switch, but right now these irons are just flat out working.

And also, I love love love the look. Topline, grooves, clubs in the bag. All beauty.

I was just messing around haha.. There has been some incredible changes being made to the cavity back style in the last couple years, and it sounds like you've really found something in the R11s.. I think as the year progresses I'll check out a larger iron to see how much better my game could be by making the switch, but right now these irons are just flat out working.

And also, I love love love the look. Topline, grooves, clubs in the bag. All beauty.

NO DOUBT!!! Just a fantastic set of irons, and BEAUTIFUL!!! They were the highlight of the demo day for me in may and I only got to hit the 6 iron.

I agree, the look and the feel of these are great, and I am playing the best golf I ever have, but there's this little voice in the back of my head that just keeps saying "you could be doing better with more forgiving clubs". I think I should just tell the voice to just shut up because I think it's just a little club ho coming out in me.

Plus my wife would probably kill me if I bought another set of clubs so soon. Lol.

I agree, the look and the feel of these are great, and I am playing the best golf I ever have, but there's this little voice in the back of my head that just keeps saying "you could be doing better with more forgiving clubs". I think I should just tell the voice to just shut up because I think it's just a little club ho coming out in me.

Nothing wrong with that dude!! What have your scoring averages been since getting the VR Pro combos vs your previous set?

Nothing wrong with that dude!! What have your scoring averages been since getting the VR Pro combos vs your previous set?

I have only been back to playing for a few months now after a ten year layoff, so it's really hard to say. When I started back I was using the Ping ISI's that I bought 12yrs ago. I only used them for a month or so before I traded them in, so I can't really compare the scores from them this year to the nikes, but when I quit I was shooting in the low 90's and the occasional round in the 80's. Now I am in the low to mid 80's and just broke 80 for the first time the other day.

I have only been back to playing for a few months now after a ten year layoff, so it's really hard to say. When I quit I was shooting in the low 90's and the occasional round in the 80's. Now I am in the low to mid 80's and just broke 80 for the first time the other day.

Breaking 80 for the first time EVER and contemplating an iron change?!?! Man, that is OEM style!!! Nice!

Also, congrats on your accomplishment!

I've looked at other irons while testing these. I just can't help myself. I'm one of those weird golfers that the thickness of the topline has no effects on me. It does not distract me to see a thick topline at all.

I played the Mizuno MP-63 irons beforehand, so the size variable was minimal at best. I will tell you that playing the Mizuno's, playing the MP-32's before them (blades), and now the Nike's, swinging anything larger (like MikeDean's TM CBs or Burner 2.0s) just looks super clunky and awkward.

I don't think you should avoid swinging other irons on account of their size because you're absolutely going to get more forgiveness out of some sets, but it will definitely take time to get comfortable standing over a bigger club. At least that's how I feel about it.

What's funny for me, is the biggest issue I had in hitting both irons was the difference in the grooves. The VR Pro grooves are super narrow, whereas the Mizuno's are fairly spread out and wide. It was just really weird looking at them.

Same for me man. I was thrown by the groove size on some Pings I hit the other day. As I always say, Once you go small, you never go back!:bananadance:

I came from a SGI set (Cobra S9's w/ graphite shafts) so this has been a big change for me. Yes, they definitely appear smaller and make many of the iron sets available today appear "clunky" to me. Like CL said, I like how the Nike's look but I am not a golfer that must have a super sleek iron. It really comes down to performance for me that dictates what will be in the bag. So MANY great options out there today for every type of player.

And yes - shooting best scores ever means stick with what is working in my book!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Ok, my brother has the videos uploading and says they are going pretty well. So those will be up this evening, sorry again for the delay. I just got done playing with the mens club. Shot 79 and had a great ball striking day.

Pocket cavity: I only played the 4i today, I replaced the 3i with a 4H again, but wish I wouldn't have. I hit the 4i two times today and both were great, probably the best I have hit the pocket cavity in a while. Both shots were a nice penetrating ball flight, and very straight. Very happy with this and hope it continues.

Split cavities: 5, 6, 7: these performed well again today. A few times I hit into trouble and punched out with the 5 and 6 with great success. Man, the ball comes off the face very hot. I was hitting the ball very straight today with an occasional baby fade. Very happy with the ball flight today. Sometimes I fight a pull (with all clubs) and that just didn't happen today.

Blades: once again, these were the stars of the day. I was hitting them very well again today and couldn't be more confident than when the 8, 9, or PW are in my hands. Maybe with a wedge, but I guess that's the idea behind the blades. I was hitting these pretty high today and was getting a lot of spin on them. These too were very straight today.

All in all it was a great day. Other than the one double, I hit the ball very well today. Hopefully this continues and I can post some good scores again.

P.s. I had a 3 HC in my group today and he was very interested in these clubs. He is going to hit them next week sometime and I will post his thoughts after. FWIW he plays the TM R9 TPs.

I came from a slight cavity back, 2010 TM TPs, and they don't look "chunky" but they are definitely bigger than the VR PCs. I too was looking at the R11s out of curiosity at Golfsmith, and they looked very large. I was surprised. I thought they would be much sleeker. That being said, I didn't necessarily mind the size. Before my TMs I was playing Ping i10s so I am used to slightly larger heads.

Back