Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Hell that's not a bad sounding club at all, for some reason I was expecting something bad or funky sounding Thanks for posting that dude.

Hell that's not a bad sounding club at all, for some reason I was expecting something bad or funky sounding Thanks for posting that dude.

Happy to help.

In serious ponder mode on these clubs right now - they are up against Mizuno MP64's and Adams Idea CMB's, but the Pro Combos have the edge in my brain right now because they're going for $699 new right now :D. However, I can't seem to find any information anywhere on available custom shafts and upcharges. Can anyone help me out?

In serious ponder mode on these clubs right now - they are up against Mizuno MP64's and Adams Idea CMB's, but the Pro Combos have the edge in my brain right now because they're going for $699 new right now :D. However, I can't seem to find any information anywhere on available custom shafts and upcharges. Can anyone help me out?

The availability might be a little limited due to the age if the irons. Otherwise, just call Nike Golf. They will put just about any shaft in them.

The availability might be a little limited due to the age if the irons. Otherwise, just call Nike Golf. They will put just about any shaft in them.

Thanks, blu. Typical $10-$20 upcharges apply for non standard (i.e. not Dynamic Gold) shafts I presume?

Thanks, blu. Typical $10-$20 upcharges apply for non standard (i.e. not Dynamic Gold) shafts I presume?

Depends on the shaft. Mine were $18 per club. A KBS or Project-x might be more. Probably close to $30

Depends on the shaft. Mine were $18 per club. A KBS or Project-x might be more. Probably close to $30

Yeesh, $30 is a lot. Especially since KBS is probably the route I'm looking to go...after my iron fitting I'll be sure what shaft I want and I can price it out accordingly for each set. Maybe I can get away cheaper than KBS if I find something else I like.

What are those Nippons of yours like?

Look into FST irons. Good price alternative.

My Nippons are fantastic. They're light, 98 grams. Which is what I wanted. They are a low kick point shaft. Nice high fluttery launch. Really good for attacking pins. I think. I like them a lot. They were a blind but. I'm happy it has worked out.

Look into FST irons. Good price alternative.

My Nippons are fantastic. They're light, 98 grams. Which is what I wanted. They are a low kick point shaft. Nice high fluttery launch. Really good for attacking pins. I think. I like them a lot. They were a blind but. I'm happy it has worked out.

Definitely will. I'll probably try to hit Nippons as well, if I can.

Thanks for the info!

I hit these last year at the start of the season when I just started playing, I went with the Taylormade R11's which I love. The R11's are great, very nice feel, awesome forgiveness and look great. But now that I'm getting a pretty decent game, I'm really thinking about making a switch to these next year. I hit these on the weekend in golf town.

WOW they feel so nice!! It's really is like hitting butter there incredibly smooth.

I'm just scared I would be getting to much then I can bite off, being so much smaller at address but I think the feel I get from these overcomes that. They were 500$ Plus a free Nike Bag

I would love a set of these! When I had to decide last year it was between these and the TaylorMade MBs. I ended up with the MBs because TM didn't want like $25 per club for the KBS shafts that I was fit into.

I still think these are some of the best looking irons on the market!

I hit these last year at the start of the season when I just started playing, I went with the Taylormade R11's which I love. The R11's are great, very nice feel, awesome forgiveness and look great. But now that I'm getting a pretty decent game, I'm really thinking about making a switch to these next year. I hit these on the weekend in golf town.

WOW they feel so nice!! It's really is like hitting butter there incredibly smooth.

I'm just scared I would be getting to much then I can bite off, being so much smaller at address but I think the feel I get from these overcomes that. They were 500$ Plus a free Nike Bag

That sounds like a great deal on these irons DB, mind me asking where you found it?

Sometimes I just come into this thread to listen to the "thwack" of Blu hitting these. They sound so nice. Blu have you tried DG s300's? If so any comparison's to your Nippons.

I bought my new Nike VR Pro Combo CB Irons just over a month ago....... I've played 4 rounds with them and love them. Amazing height, good spin and great looks.....not the most forgiving in the world but I love them.

Sometimes I just come into this thread to listen to the "thwack" of Blu hitting these. They sound so nice. Blu have you tried DG s300's? If so any comparison's to your Nippons.

The only DG experience I have had are with demo versions of this club. DGs are heavier than my Nippons. I notice the extra 20g right away. Only time I have hit DGs has been on a sim. And from that it seems like a more boring flight. The Nippons seem to throw a high ball in the air that stays there then drops straight down.

I will say that for a player like me, a low launch shaft with these clubs might be disastrous. There isn't a lot of forgiveness in any of them. So I like having as much help as possible. A higher launching shaft does that for me.

They were on sale, at Golf Town Langley. It was a great deal; the guy said if i go back next season I can get the same offering.

I'm looking to upgrade my irons this summer after taking a couple lessons and getting fit for it etc. The Nike Pro Combo or Pro Cavity are on my want to test list. What i'm wondering:

Especially in the shorter irons, from what i've read GI/SGIs generally deloft a lot.
For example: The Nike Pro Combo 9i comes in at 43°, while their covert 9i has a 39° loft. The Wilson Di9 i'm playing also have a 39° 9i.
39°... that's the Pro Combos 8i!

So, anybody with GI/SGI irons noticed a drop in distance with their test set?

Last edited:
I'm looking to upgrade my irons this summer after taking a couple lessons and getting fit for it etc. The Nike Pro Combo or Pro Cavity are on my want to test list. What i'm wondering:

Especially in the shorter irons, from what i've read GI/SGIs generally deloft a lot.
For example: The Nike Combo 9i comes in at 43°, for example, while their covert 9i has a 39° loft. The Wilson Di9 i'm playing also have a 39° 9i.
39°... that's the Pro Combos 8i!

So, anybody with GI/SGI irons noticed a drop in distance by a full club?

Loft alone doesn't determine distance. CG location. Shaft choice. Swing. And to a degree the grip will all influence distance as much as loft. I went from a 27* 6i in the W/S Ci11s to the Pro Combos at 31* 6i and gained distance.

Sweet, that's very encouraging to hear.
Can't wait to get my fitting :)

No problems.

Quality of strike determines distance more than loft does.

I hate when this thread pops up, makes me remember that I still lust over these irons.

I hate when this thread pops up, makes me remember that I still lust over these irons.

You have deprived yourself long enough. It is time for you to pull the trigger they are Blu approved.

I bought these irons second hand from the bay last week, so far pleased with them. I am loving the pocket and the muscles but still need time to fully be comfortable with the blades. I played my first full round with them last week and wasn't having a great day then smacked a 4 iron from 185 to 6 feet and was the best feeling shot i have hit in years.

Everyone still loving these irons or have people moved on ?

I bought these irons second hand from the bay last week, so far pleased with them. I am loving the pocket and the muscles but still need time to fully be comfortable with the blades. I played my first full round with them last week and wasn't having a great day then smacked a 4 iron from 185 to 6 feet and was the best feeling shot i have hit in years.

Everyone still loving these irons or have people moved on ?

Nope. No moving on. Lots of love.

Back