Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

I sure loved them (well, the CB variant without blades) when i got fitted 2 days ago. Can't wait to get them :)

Nope. No moving on. Lots of love.

Do you prefer one of the designs over the other ?
I can see me progressing onto a full set of blades after a few years with these, love the look and feel of the blades so far but not so much the forgiveness !

Do you prefer one of the designs over the other ?
I can see me progressing onto a full set of blades after a few years with these, love the look and feel of the blades so far but not so much the forgiveness !

I prefer the 3 4 pocket 567 cavity and 89P blades. No reason for me to give up the little added forgiveness. I have found the long irons to be surprisingly forgiving. I would never give that up for an all blade setup

I'm back !!!!!! No other iron set of players irons gives me the looks , feel and playability..... sorry I left but it won't happen again.

Hi there first time posting, I recently bought these irons as an upgrade from my nike pro cavity irons
Now im not the best golfer (play off 12) but I strike the ball pretty well, 108-110mph swing speed.
With my nike pro cavity irons these were my distances:
4 iron around 200-210yrds
5 iron Around 190 ish
6 iron Around 180
7 iron 160-170
8 iron 145-150
9 iron 130
Pw 120 ish

Now those yardages were consistant if I struck the ball even half decent, they were very forgiving.
Also had reg steel shafts, not sure what kind etc but they were decent.

Now the problem, I love the pro combos! I hit them where I want them to go (direction wise) and can shape them when I like.
Problem lies with the distance. For example my 7 iron is lucky if it goes 150. Wedge lucky if it goes 110, 6 iron now 160 maximum and so on.
Now I havent had time to read every page on this thread but has anyone else encountered this? Is it normal? I have the s300 shafts on them. And as far as I know they are standard apart from that. Feedback would be great!
Cheers

Hi there first time posting, I recently bought these irons as an upgrade from my nike pro cavity irons
Now im not the best golfer (play off 12) but I strike the ball pretty well, 108-110mph swing speed.
5 iron Around 190 ish
6 iron Around 180
7 iron 160-170
8 iron 145-150
9 iron 130
Pw 120 ish

Now those yardages were consistant if I struck the ball even half decent, they were very forgiving.

Now the problem, I love the pro combos! I hit them where I want them to go (direction wise) and can shape them when I like.
Problem lies with the distance. For example my 7 iron is lucky if it goes 150. Wedge lucky if it goes 110, 6 iron now 160 maximum and so on.
Now I havent had time to read every page on this thread but has anyone else encountered this? Is it normal? I have the s300 shafts on them. And as far as I know they are standard apart from that. Feedback would be great!
Cheers

I would recommend a higher launching shaft. To make up for the weaker lofts and higher CG in each clubhead. I put high launchers in and picked up a club in distance.

5 iron Around 190 ish
6 iron Around 180
7 iron 160-170
8 iron 145-150
9 iron 130
Pw 120 ish

Cheers

I would recommend a higher launching shaft. To make up for the weaker lofts and higher CG in each clubhead. I put high launchers in and picked up a club in distance.

Thats what someone else said, untill they saw how high I already hit the ball... my cobra amp cell driver has a stiff shaft and I have it at 8.5 and it still goes wayyyy up, still around 300yds but still pretty high for it being 8.5

Thats what someone else said, untill they saw how high I already hit the ball... my cobra amp cell driver has a stiff shaft and I have it at 8.5 and it still goes wayyyy up, still around 300yds but still pretty high for it being 8.5

Ok. Then go get fit for a shaft. I'm also amazed that you hit your driver that far compared to your irons. Must be impressive to see.

Ok. Then go get fit for a shaft. I'm also amazed that you hit your driver that far compared to your irons. Must be impressive to see.

Ok mate will do, im booked in for Monday on trackman.
So you think its the shaft? And not because the clubs are softer? Ive not been playing golf for too long so no idea about club specs etc apart from I needed a shift shaft for my driver due to swing speed.
Oh and the driver distance. . It carries about 260-270 the rest is roll ofc. Not that impressive:p just a standard drive

Ok mate will do, im booked in for Monday on trackman.
So you think its the shaft? And not because the clubs are softer? Ive not been playing golf for too long so no idea about club specs etc apart from I needed a shift shaft for my driver due to swing speed.
Oh and the driver distance. . It carries about 260-270 the rest is roll ofc. Not that impressive:p just a standard drive

Yeah think it is the shaft, might even be a swing issue but I won't assume that. The fact that they're forged has nothing to do with it.

After this I won't keep digging on the distance, but you hit an average drive as far as Tiger but swing 10 mph slower. That's some pretty perfect launch condition.

Yeah think it is the shaft, might even be a swing issue but I won't assume that. The fact that they're forged has nothing to do with it.

After this I won't keep digging on the distance, but you hit an average drive as far as Tiger but swing 10 mph slower. That's some pretty perfect launch condition.

Could be the fact the shafts are stiff then, or my swing, as i said im not the best golfer being off 12, all I can really do is strike the ball well, and get things way way up In the air. I'll need to look further into it with trackman, but I really do love these clubs. They are amazing to look at and feel great, especially the spin I get off the blades, its somethi something else!

Could be the fact the shafts are stiff then, or my swing, as i said im not the best golfer being off 12, all I can really do is strike the ball well, and get things way way up In the air. I'll need to look further into it with trackman, but I really do love these clubs. They are amazing to look at and feel great, especially the spin I get off the blades, its somethi something else!

I'm surprised they're launching high for you. Are you making ball first contact? Taking a divot after the ball?

Yeah I usually strike the ball solid and take half the fairway afterwards haha, mabye thats why I dont hit my irons as far? Hitting down on the ball too much?

You might be a touch steep no way to tell via the inter tubes. A fitting is what you need.

Blu giving some solid advise. I still think these might be the perfect combo set.

5 iron Around 190 ish
6 iron Around 180
7 iron 160-170
8 iron 145-150
9 iron 130
Pw 120 ish

Cheers

During fitting i was striking the ball well and got 170-175 out of a 6 iron. Every time, across multiple similar sets of this class. I also tried stiff shafts but ended up hitting them the same total distance with different (worse) numbers.
Now that i have them here, i had a couple of bad shots on the range as well. They lose distance, noticeably. Focus on making a solid strike rather than hitting it harder. Put some work in, i'm sure it will be worth it.
Personally, i love the more realistic feedback i get from this set, while still maintaining some forgiveness. .

During fitting i was striking the ball well and got 170-175 out of a 6 iron. Every time, across multiple similar sets of this class. I also tried stiff shafts but ended up hitting them the same total distance with different (worse) numbers.
Now that i have them here, i had a couple of bad shots on the range as well. They lose distance, noticeably. Focus on making a solid strike rather than hitting it harder. Put some work in, i'm sure it will be worth it.
Personally, i love the more realistic feedback i get from this set, while still maintaining some forgiveness. .

In the 567, even as cavity backs, there isn't a whole lot of forgiveness. A good stroke is very necessary. On top of that, getting a shaft to pair with this club is so darn important. I really don't believe there are a lot of amateurs who need the s300 shafts in these heads.

Last edited:
I am enjoying seeing this thread back on top on a daily basis. Anyone contemplating these clubs, they are fantastic. Nike really nailed it with the mid and scoring irons with this set. The 3/4 irons were not my favorite as far as feel or forgiveness but they were not awful either. I still think the scoring irons in this set may have been the best irons that I have ever played. Accurate as heck

I am enjoying seeing this thread back on top on a daily basis. Anyone contemplating these clubs, they are fantastic. Nike really nailed it with the mid and scoring irons with this set. The 3/4 irons were not my favorite as far as feel or forgiveness but they were not awful either. I still think the scoring irons in this set may have been the best irons that I have ever played. Accurate as heck

The 3 & 4 irons are a beast. I have found that a sweeping swing is a mistake. You have to hit down with the 3i and 4i. Which is really hard to do.

The 3 & 4 irons are a beast. I have found that a sweeping swing is a mistake. You have to hit down with the 3i and 4i. Which is really hard to do.

That is my swing man. I am a massive digger. My issue with those irons was that the feel did not match that of the other irons. I think it was due to the hollow body. That is of course MO though. As long as I practiced a lot, I made good contact with them but if I didn't practice for a few days, I struggled hitting them. I'm a hybrid guy for the 3/4 slot now.

That is my swing man. I am a massive digger. My issue with those irons was that the feel did not match that of the other irons. I think it was due to the hollow body. That is of course MO though. As long as I practiced a lot, I made good contact with them but if I didn't practice for a few days, I struggled hitting them. I'm a hybrid guy for the 3/4 slot now.

Yeah the sound and feel is completely different. It is a much more hollow sound and feel. A twang type sound. Not the thwack of the rest of the set.

Blu, I do want to say that you have been fantastic in this thread. Nike thanks you lol

Blu, I do want to say that you have been fantastic in this thread. Nike thanks you lol

Well thank you Chunky

I wasn't one of the testers but made the jump after the fact. I hope I've done something to answer somebody's question(s). What I really want from Nike is more information on their golf website. It is awful and probably costing them business

I completely agree with you. Some of the stuff is not even updated to the new line. The new wedges are out, but the website makes it seem like there is only a select few lofts. Just awful. Worst OEM website I have ever seen.

Back