Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Great pics dude! I love how those look in the bag.

Chunky, I am dying for pics here bro

Could we get a little sumthin sumthin Chunky? Anything?

Chunky.... you there? :mohawk:

Just got done with the back nine. We have two courses at my work and I ended up playing the front of one, then the back of the other. Shot 79 (39/40). Was happy how I scored on the front after starting with 3 bogeys (one of them a three putt), it didn't help that I didn't get to warm up. I also missed four birdie putts 10' or less.

Man have I fallen in love with these irons. I didn't think it would happen this quickly, if at all, but I am going to sell my previous set. I hit these about a club longer, and am more accurate with the scoring clubs. Couple that with the great feel and amazing looks, and Nike has a real winner. The one thing I would like from Nike, if I had my way, is an approach wedge that goes with the set. I understand that they have the VR Pro wedges, but I would prefer a matching one personally. I just think it should be available.

Before yesterday's range session, I wasn't hitting the 3 & 4 irons very well. That has changed, with the help of a good friend (who happens to be a scratch golfer). I was hitting them straight or with a slight draw all day, and very good distance.

This is a great set, and I cannot wait to keep testing them. Hopefully everyone else is enjoying these as much as I am.

Let me clarify a little, by matching AW, I mean head size and shape, grove pattern, weight, etc.

Just got done with the back nine. We have two courses at my work and I ended up playing the front of one, then the back of the other. Shot 79 (39/40). Was happy how I scored on the front after starting with 3 bogeys (one of them a three putt), it didn't help that I didn't get to warm up. I also missed four birdie putts 10' or less.

Man have I fallen in love with these irons. I didn't think it would happen this quickly, if at all, but I am going to sell my previous set. I hit these about a club longer, and am more accurate with the scoring clubs. Couple that with the great feel and amazing looks, and Nike has a real winner. The one thing I would like from Nike, if I had my way, is an approach wedge that goes with the set. I understand that they have the VR Pro wedges, but I would prefer a matching one personally. I just think it should be available.

Before yesterday's range session, I wasn't hitting the 3 & 4 irons very well. That has changed, with the help of a good friend (who happens to be a scratch golfer). I was hitting them straight or with a slight draw all day, and very good distance.

This is a great set, and I cannot wait to keep testing them. Hopefully everyone else is enjoying these as much as I am.

Very nice Jeff. I didn't think I could fall for the 2.0's as fast as I have, so I know the feeling. It is exciting! I thought it would be weeks before I really loved them... nope. One round. HAHAHAHA

So the day has arrived. I got home from work to find a slip from Fed Ex saying that they tried to deliver a package. I’m only waiting on one thing. So I impatiently wait until 6pm and drive down to Fed Ex to pick it up. The man comes around the corner and there she is. The beautiful cardboard box from Nike. Gently place it in the back of the truck and drive down to the range. Yorkem is bringing the Flip so that we can do an unboxing but I can’t wait any longer. I grab my camera and tear into the package.

Wow are the first words that jump to mind. I remember during Demo day being blown away by the looks of the Pro Combos and my memory was not faulty. I might be biased but I truly believe these are the nicest looking irons on the market today. Being that this is a combo set, it could have been a jumbled mess of large GI long irons and scalpel like blades in the scoring clubs. This set however does not disappoint. Nike did a fantastic job of making the set flow smoothly from Pocket Cavity(3-5), Split Cavity(5-7), and finally Blade(8-P). None of the clubs look out of place to me. The cavity is pretty understated. You have the VR symbol in a black/red/white color and the iconic Nike swoosh out by the toe. Pretty simple and very nice. The PX graphite shafts are gorgeous. Nice design on the shaft and the Blue NDMC complement it nicely. I couldn’t be happier with how these clubs look.

Spoiler

Get my bucket and set myself up. Throw 3 balls down and decide I’m going Tom Watson style. I grab the 3 iron and take a few practice swings. It’s been a little bit since I last played so I’m feeling a little stiff. Step up to the ball nervously and take a huge hack and……..duff it 20 feet. The next 2 were not better. Take a step back and decide to work my way up like usual. Hit some wedges(for another thread but damn does Nike make sweet wedges) and grab the PW. I hit 4 shots that were just perfect little 9 to 3 shots. Nice mid/high trajectory and the distance was pretty good. Not Di11 good but less than a club length which was surprising to me. Went down the set and hit all the irons really good until I got to the 3 iron. That one took a little time but by the time the deluge came I was hitting it well. I am quite confident with these clubs already.

After hitting normal shots I decided to try some different types of shots that we all need to hit every now and then. Fades were surprisingly easy. In fact I would almost say that I had a fade bias at first. Knockdowns were a joy. Coming from some GI clubs, it was far easier to hit the knockdown with these. By the end I was working on a little stinger shot with the 3 iron that I used to like to hit on short par 4’s. No problems with any of them.

Lets talk divots. I have a very steep swing and so I can sometimes almost leave the club in the ground after a shot. I had played a set of blades last year and my divots with those were large. I went to some GI clubs and the wide sole was allowing me to not get so stuck up in the turf. Well the large divots are back. First few shots I hit the dirt was just flying right into my face. Looking at my little grass area after hitting some balls and I felt badly for the grass that used to be there. It was pretty much just clay after I was done. I think I need to work a little on coming in a little less steep. It’s not really a problem with the shot as it is a problem with my body. If I stick the club in the ground badly enough I have had a tendency to actually hurt my wrists

Speaking of wrists, I am ecstatic about my choice of shaft. I went with the PX graphite iron shaft in 5.0 which I believe is the regular flex in PX. I am loving them so far. No issues whatsoever after hitting some balls last night with my wrists and fingers. I was a teensy bit nervous with choosing the PX as I have not loved the feel of PX steel whenever I have hit it. Well I can say the feel of the graphite was far better. I still felt my mishits easily but the jarring on my body was just not there. Love the feel of these. The ballflight was perfect. Pretty high but not overly so. I would say a little lower than KBS but higher than the PX steel and DG. Flighting the ball was a complete non issue with these as every shot I tried to hit came off easily. So far I am just loving them.

So to finish, I am honeymooning. Love everything about the Pro Combos so far. They are stunning to look at. Not hard to hit at all. Pretty much the complete package. I can’t wait to hit balls again. Hit me up with any questions. Next range session will be possibly tonight if it stops raining. Really want to go to my normal range and see how these compare distance wise with the 11’s. I’m thinking with the combo of going with a lighter graphite and a regular flex, I might not lose all that much distance with these which is saying something since my 11’s are so strongly lofted. Again, sorry for the lousy video and I will take some better pictures but I just wanted to post something and Thank you to THP & Nike for this incredible opportunity.

Dang it. How do you embed video?

Great write up CL! Love the look of the PX Graphite with these heads, and the blue grips to boot! Pure Awesomeness! Loved your initial approach too (3i)!

Great stuff throughout this thread guys. Keep up the great work gents!

Nice writup and opening video buddy!

I am actually really jealous right now!

I am actually really jealous right now!

Got nothing going on Saturday brochacho. Drive on down to Raleigh and we can maybe play Lonnie Poole. Thanks everybody. Was REALLY nervous about posting a video. First one and all

Great post Chunky! Just great...

Great write up CL! Love the look of the PX Graphite with these heads, and the blue grips to boot! Pure Awesomeness! Loved your initial approach too (3i)!

Great stuff throughout this thread guys. Keep up the great work gents!

I had read an article on Watson and he said that the first club he hits in the morning is the 3I instead of wedge. He figures if he can hit the 3I well he will have a great ball striking day. I figured how cool would it be to just start striping the 3I on a brand new set. Didn't work out lol

Got nothing going on Saturday brochacho. Drive on down to Raleigh and we can maybe play Lonnie Poole. Thanks everybody. Was REALLY nervous about posting a video. First one and all

you did good buddy, you had a great writup with it. Your a funny dude, let it shine in the videos.

I dont think I am heading that way this weekend. But, we are due. I will get that way soon enough. Maybe put some marks on those hosels for you...hehe

you did good buddy, you had a great writup with it. Your a funny dude, let it shine in the videos.

I dont think I am heading that way this weekend. But, we are due. I will get that way soon enough. Maybe put some marks on those hosels for you...hehe

Lol way ahead of you on that one. I think my 2nd shot with the 3I was a hosel rocket. It didn't go straight to my amazement.

Lol way ahead of you on that one. I think my 2nd shot with the 3I was a hosel rocket. It didn't go straight to my amazement.

hmmmmm, I thought hosels were....nevermind, I got in trouble for that comment last time I said it.

Great post CL! Those sure are some sweet looking irons.

Great write up, photos, and vid CL. Those irons look great.

Looks like rain is rolling in again. Hopefully it misses my area and I'll be able to get to the range later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post CL! Those irons are so good looking

Tap tap taparoo

Great vids Canadan and YF. Especially loved your pics, YF. Glad to hear that you are liking the shafts so far. I want a picture of the damage you are inflicting on the range!

awesome writeup CL!

Back