Nike VR_S Hybrids

PiratePenguin

2024 Goat Cup Team Brennan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I didn't see a thread for the VR_S hybrid yet, only the driver, and I know there are at least a few of us who are gaming the VR_S hybrids and thought they deserved a little love, too. I had my first round with mine new VR_S 21* 3 hybrid today and it did not disappoint. A month ago I hit nearly everything available in the 3 hybrid world at a big demo day and there was just nothing that came close to the all around performance of the VR_S for me. Every swing was almost automatic. Sets up nice and square, good look, nice head shape, good feel and sound. I can turn it left or right but it is very easy to hit dead straight. Everything I wanted in a new 3 hybrid.

This is my 190-200 yard club and I wound up using it about four times today on its inaugural round and it did not let me down. On the 4th hole I hit a high draw that missed the green to the left on a fringe cut area and the ball stopped dead after about two feet - a good thing since there was water another few yards left and long. Used it off the tee on the next hole, a short par 4. Hit a perfect layup with it on a long par 5 on the following hole. On a short par 5 on the back I blasted a tee shot and then used the hybrid for a sweeping low hooking runner around some trees and ran it into a green side bunker right by the pin from 190. A few holes later I used it off the tee on a short par 4 and with a little help from some wind and a hard fairway I actually wound up getting 233 yards out of it - too long, in fact, as I had planned for 200-210 yards and wound up by a lake with tall grass/bushes blocking my second shot. My fault, not the clubs. The club performed magnificently and I can't wait to get back out and use it some more. Need some range time with it to get used to it a little better, but so far I cannot say enough great things about this hybrid. If you are in the market you should certainly give the VR_S a try.

I had a chance to hit this at the Nike Speedtrials and I really liked the feel, hoping to get a chance to hit these on a range sometime. The LM said I hit one 232 which funny enough was longer then the 3 wood or driver from that day, shortest was 187 which would be the perfect distance for me.

Just got to the range for the first time with my new VR_S hybrid. Wow. The stick is a bomber. Very easy to hit off the deck and in purposely placed bad lies. I was always skeptical about hybrids but I can see myself using this many many times more on the course than I ever used my 3 iron. Very well done Nike. Strongly recommend to any ponderers!

Got pic's? how does it compare to the Callaway razr x tour?

Got pic's? how does it compare to the Callaway razr x tour?
Never hit the Razr X Tour. But very springy off the face and good high ball flight, especially for my naturally low ball flight.

P8070308.jpg
[/IMG]

P8070312.jpg
[/IMG]

P8070309.jpg
[/IMG]

P8070318.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks they look nice. I've never hit a Nike hybrid but always looking at gear. hit'em well

Four months since I started this thread - still love my VRS Hybrid. Easily one of my favorite clubs in the bag. It is so easy to hit however I want - low hook, high draw, fade, straight, choked down off the tee or on par 3s, full swing on tight, shorter par 4s, etc. It does absolutely anything and everything I want it to do.

I'm starting to consider dropping my 4 iron and adding another VRS 4 hybrid instead because I hit the 3 hy so well. It could come in handy on long par 4s.

I don't have a vrs hybrid, but I do have a Nike vr hybrid 4. I love it and use it all the time for my 230 distance. I can only imagine the vrs is even better

Anyone compare these with the Cleveland Mashies?

Anyone compare these with the Cleveland Mashies?

For me:

Mashie's = hook machines. VRS = neutral club that can be hit straight or either direction at will.

I loved everything else about the Mashie, it just would not go right at all, would only go straight if I fought it, and would turn left or turn into a hook far too easily.

This is high on my ponder list. Not sure about the stock shaft though. Thinking of putting a Project X in it...or possibly just getting the VR Pro hybrid. My concern is that the stock shaft is too light and I won't stay on plane. I'm looking to get a 21* and 18*.

I was surprised that I actually like the stock shaft. I hit the VR Pro as well but wasn't getting enough height with it (I'm more of a low draw player), but was pleasantly surprised that the regular VRS didn't seem to have any draw bias like most non-pro design hybrids.

I was surprised that I actually like the stock shaft. I hit the VR Pro as well but wasn't getting enough height with it (I'm more of a low draw player), but was pleasantly surprised that the regular VRS didn't seem to have any draw bias like most non-pro design hybrids.

I wish I could hit it outdoors to see my ballflight with it. My current 910h with Proforce V2 already flies about as high as I'd want. Who knows, I may take a gamble and grab one. Just went out at lunch and compared it looks-wise to the Cobra Amp. Both are pretty dreamy.

I just bought this hybrid a couple days ago and had my first range session with it today. It performed just as good, if not better than in the LM. This thing is stupid long and just wants to go straight without much effort. I previously played the adams A7OS hybrid and that thing liked to draw and hook. The thing i love best about the VRS is that it sets up a little open which fits my eye better than a lot of offset and closed. Regarding the stock shaft, i think its great. I got the stiff shaft and has great feel. Nice weight and not whippy at all.

I actually hit this against all the 2012 hybrids, but it came down to this and the mashie. In the end, i just loved the sound and feel coming from the Nike. It has a great pop sound when you flush it. I like it so much i went and got the 3 Wood. I guess I might have to look at the driver now too since I was hitting the 3 wood 260, which is only about 10 yards shy of my average drive. Really fun clubs. Great job by Nike.

This thing is a bomber. Longest and easiest hitting hybrid I have ever hit. I was not a big fan of the head shape or sound (or lack there of), but the performance speaks for itself. Love this thing. I use it off the tee quite a bit and I am within range of most of my playing partners drives.

Well my custom 21* VRS with Project X arrived today. Unfortunately it is a tsunami outside and I guess that it will be tomorrow, as well.

Well my custom 21* VRS with Project X arrived today. Unfortunately it is a tsunami outside and I guess that it will be tomorrow, as well.

Why? Sounds like a good time to get in some rain practice. :)

Finally had a chance to play yesterday for the first time since getting my 21* VRS.

Holy. Crap.

That sucker is hotter than leaked ScarJo pics. For me, the ball flight with PX shaft is pretty much perfect. I think it speaks volumes when you hit the club for he first time ever and three people in your group say "Wow" in unison.

Again remember I am not referencing he stock shaft, but in my combo I really love the weight and the feel. I like something with a bit of heft to it without being cumbersome. This fits that bill nicely. As I mentioned, the face is incredibly hot. You feel like Superman when you strike the ball with this club. It is a very crisp and lively feeling. Not 100% sure on how I would describe the sound. I will have to come back on that one. I will be ordering a 18* next week!

Finally had a chance to play yesterday for the first time since getting my 21* VRS.

Holy. Crap.

That sucker is hotter than leaked ScarJo pics. For me, the ball flight with PX shaft is pretty much perfect. I think it speaks volumes when you hit the club for he first time ever and three people in your group say "Wow" in unison.

Again remember I am not referencing he stock shaft, but in my combo I really love the weight and the feel. I like something with a bit of heft to it without being cumbersome. This fits that bill nicely. As I mentioned, the face is incredibly hot. You feel like Superman when you strike the ball with this club. It is a very crisp and lively feeling. Not 100% sure on how I would describe the sound. I will have to come back on that one. I will be ordering a 18* next week!

I used mine this weekend for the first time this weekend at the St Louis outing. By the end of the day it was referred to as my magic hybrid, I'm looking at replacing my 18 degree mashie with a Nike.

The VRs hybrids are really really good once you get the stock shaft out. I had a honeymoon period with mine with the stock shaft but soon found my shots ballooning and losing a lot of distance due to really high launch and spin. Once I swapped out the shaft to a Matrix Altus ( my favorite hybrid shaft of all time!) it was like night and day. Very solid club, plenty long and plenty forgiving! The whole vrs line was excellent this year. If you haven't tried the VRs forged irons then you really need to!

The VRs hybrids are really really good once you get the stock shaft out. I had a honeymoon period with mine with the stock shaft but soon found my shots ballooning and losing a lot of distance due to really high launch and spin. Once I swapped out the shaft to a Matrix Altus ( my favorite hybrid shaft of all time!) it was like night and day. Very solid club, plenty long and plenty forgiving! The whole vrs line was excellent this year. If you haven't tried the VRs forged irons then you really need to!

I've been pretty pleased with the stock shaft for me, actually. I don't get any ballooning, but I do get a high launch that stays high and lands softly (in most cases - if I turned it over with a draw it will bounce, but if I hit a fade it will land softly on greens). Love the versatility.

That said I have considered going to a steel shaft, I just have no idea where to start or what to consider.

Back