Review Nippon MODUS3 Hybrid Shaft - G.O.S.T - THP Review

Hit these a good deal yesterday, no data on them as yesterday was me acting like a little kid in a candy shop who didn’t have to go to work and could golf all day. ;)

I’ve actually got mixed thoughts and I think a good deal of that is a club thing on one of end.

In the 410 hybrid, the Tour Stiff is proving to be a pretty stout and efficient setup. I want numbers today but I was seeing distance from the 18* I don’t with the stock Alta, and I’m not short with that setup. More than that though, the feel is unique, I really don’t have any catchy sayings or analogies other than that, it’s unique and I’ve not played anything like it in a hybrid before. Literally and figuratively.

There is a level of smooth kick through the zone that catches your full attention, yet the dispersion has been what I want to write home about the most. I hit it off of all the short 4’s yesterday (not into 5’s though as I was hitting driver too far :oops:) and it was pretty point and shoot for me even fighting my swing right now. More than that, adjusting position let me flight it high when down wind or rope it into the wind. I’m impressed here.

For the Epic Forged....I honestly think this club and I just don’t get along. There’s a sound/feel to them if you don’t catch it in the center that is downright disheartening and fear inducing. That said, the pro to this setup and seeing that is I got to test the dampening properties pretty well, and they make a difference for sure. Full steel on some of those impact sounds I think I’d have been breaking something in my body haha. Performance here, I don’t have enough to tell you about. But if today goes bad, it’s going into the F9 tonight licketty split. Again, none of this is on the shaft, I think it’s the head selection for me.

More golf today! More soon!

Nudge for the late morning crowd.

There’s a sound/feel to them if you don’t catch it in the center that is downright disheartening and fear inducing.

Well early notes from the hybrids sound extremely promising. That epic forged comment is really selling me though :oops:

These are fun. Saw life out of the utility setup yesterday and hope to see more of that tonight. I’ll have a good post this evening.

If you have questions please please please jump in and I’ll address them all!

What day is today?

ITS DATA DAY!!!!

Its time! I’ve had a LOT of swings on these two and while the Epic Forged as a club choice may not have been my best call, I’ve seen some nice successes lately. I’m not willing to say it’s not going to be good in a utility, but post review I want to try it in a few more heads.

In the 18.0 410 though it’s been a rocket launcher for me. Mid high ballflight with a ton of carry. More than that, it doesn’t feel like steel yet the accuracy has something definitely to it. Also. I’m not sacrificing distance at all, which is a key for me in that spot.

Wear and tear wise it’s something I’ve wanted to keep an eye on, because I had fear of it getting beat up easy, but it’s like a standard graphite shaft there. Even in a bag with LITERALLY 25 clubs the wear has been minimal, I’m not sure if I envisioned the graphite peeling off or something, but no worries at all so far.

More thoughts from work in between lectures!

Any Q's?

I’m in the U85 crowd as I’m currently trying to pick a shaft for one but appreciate all the info and experiences you are providing. It may have been stated but what is the price for the shafts?

What day is today?

ITS DATA DAY!!!!

Its time! I’ve had a LOT of swings on these two and while the Epic Forged as a club choice may not have been my best call, I’ve seen some nice successes lately. I’m not willing to say it’s not going to be good in a utility, but post review I want to try it in a few more heads.

In the 18.0 410 though it’s been a rocket launcher for me. Mid high ballflight with a ton of carry. More than that, it doesn’t feel like steel yet the accuracy has something definitely to it. Also. I’m not sacrificing distance at all, which is a key for me in that spot.

Wear and tear wise it’s something I’ve wanted to keep an eye on, because I had fear of it getting beat up easy, but it’s like a standard graphite shaft there. Even in a bag with LITERALLY 25 clubs the wear has been minimal, I’m not sure if I envisioned the graphite peeling off or something, but no worries at all so far.

More thoughts from work in between lectures!
Oh yeah, I dig the sound of a Tour 105 wrapped in graphite. If this doesn’t make its way into a full set in the next year or two, I’m going to be very sad. Those numbers in the 18* head are silly and i LOVE the tour 105 feel

Would you say that your when hitting the Ping 18* club is your dispersion better with the GOST shaft?

Oh yeah, I dig the sound of a Tour 105 wrapped in graphite. If this doesn’t make its way into a full set in the next year or two, I’m going to be very sad. Those numbers in the 18* head are silly and i LOVE the tour 105 feel

I trimmed out some of the real bombs with it. Had 2 at 248....carry. :oops:

Would you say that your when hitting the Ping 18* club is your dispersion better with the GOST shaft?
Compared to the Alta I was playing in it, yeah it was. And even for as much as the Epic Forged and I just aren't good bedfellows, the accuracy stood out.

Does the addition of graphite dampen as and, for example, a VSS? Any ideas or guess?

Does the addition of graphite dampen as and, for example, a VSS? Any ideas or guess?
IMO, I would believe it to be more effective than that.

IMO, I would believe it to be more effective than that.
Want. I left the Tour 105 to gain some dampening for my nagging wrist. Want.

I was looking forward to this article, and the write-up was superb. G.O.S.T makes a ton of sense to me... best of both worlds. I'd like one in a 2-iron utility for next year.

I think it is interesting to compare this golf shaft construction to the world of high end carbon and steel bike frames. Modern race bike are full carbon monocoque, and have evolved to the point that the ride quality and efficiency are better than steel. Nonetheless, steel maintains a reputation for liveliness and ride quality that is well earned. Steel bike frames are rarely if ever used in elite racing at this point.

I wonder how much more evolution carbon in golf shafts has to undergo before steel is rarely if ever seen in iron sets on tour? In the meantime, I dig G.O.S.T., I'm looking forward to trying it.

I was looking forward to this article, and the write-up was superb. G.O.S.T makes a ton of sense to me... best of both worlds. I'd like one in a 2-iron utility for next year.

I think it is interesting to compare this golf shaft construction to the world of high end carbon and steel bike frames. Modern race bike are full carbon monocoque, and have evolved to the point that the ride quality and efficiency are better than steel. Nonetheless, steel maintains a reputation for liveliness and ride quality that is well earned. Steel bike frames are rarely if ever used in elite racing at this point.

I wonder how much more evolution carbon in golf shafts has to undergo before steel is rarely if ever seen in iron sets on tour? In the meantime, I dig G.O.S.T., I'm looking forward to trying it.
Thanks for reading!

Post review the shaft in the Epic Forged is being moved into the F5 5i.

Also going to keep the shaft in the 410 3H.

That’s about the most positive compliment I can give a product after review, when it stays in the bag.

I'm kind of surprised they don't offer this shaft in regular flex. Maybe the only negative about it

I’ve now got the shaft which was in my Epic Forged for the review, in my Cobra F9. All cured up and ready to go.

It’ll either stick there, or end up home in my 410 4H I believe.

Post review the shaft in the Epic Forged is being moved into the F5 5i.

Also going to keep the shaft in the 410 3H.

That’s about the most positive compliment I can give a product after review, when it stays in the bag.
Wilson F5?

I’ve now got the shaft which was in my Epic Forged for the review, in my Cobra F9. All cured up and ready to go.

It’ll either stick there, or end up home in my 410 4H I believe.
Oh F9. That makes way, way more sense. I should have known that lol

Review is now up. Check it out on the home page here.

Bumping again because I know it got kind of buried.

Also because of the F9 convo some of us had in the Forged Tec thread. Pumped to hit the F9 5i with this in it soon.

Back