Nippon Shaft MODUS3 Tour115 Review

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Nippon Shaft officially introduced the N.S. Pro MODUS3 lineup to the world in 2010 with the Tour120. Fast forward a decade later and Nippon has been on a truly upward trajectory with the success of not only the Tour120 but also expanding the MODUS3 options to include the Tour105, Tour125, and Tour130. All told, according to Nippon, the entire line has achieved 225 wins worldwide including two Major Championships. 

What does it all mean? That Nippon Shaft has had more success worldwide than I think some realize and it needs to be crystal clear that we aren’t talking about just another steel shaft producing company here. No, the mother company of Nippon Shaft cut its teeth making automotive springs and that has been the basis for a knowledge of steel in terms of strength, durability, and energy transfer that is perhaps unparalleled in golf. 

To celebrate the decade of success, Nippon could have just put out a fancy finish and been done with it, and to an extent they are doing...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jman great review! Tons of information here! Those black 115 shafts are amazing!

lower spin?? more tip stiff?? light weight???..... sign me up!!!!!

Ive also briefly played 105x and 120x. These sound perfect!!! Im currently loving the Project X PXi but those are getting hard to find..... when its time for new irons the 115 black will definitely be in play for me

Love Nippon shafts and the Modus line in particular. I’m glad to see they’re continuing to expand the line and will definitely be giving these a try in my next iron fitting.

Enjoyed this because I am someone that has gone lighter and while in the Nippon line, I will probably still be lighter, love that this comes in and fits a need.

Excellent review James. Having played the 105's for a bit as well as 120's myself I can see how this fits in. I'm not sure its a weight range I want to head back towards having played lighter but options are good.

• Staff
  • Staff
Enjoyed this because I am someone that has gone lighter and while in the Nippon line, I will probably still be lighter, love that this comes in and fits a need.
Yeah, its a good add, especially at the way these stand up. Definitely believe we will keep seeing more and more move from that 130 range into this realm as time keeps moving on.

300-400 revs less spin?! that seems like a lot. i'll be interested to see what these do for me when they come in. still not sure if i'm going to plug them into my mav pros, or get another set of heads to mess with. lowering spin on the mav pro does not seem like the best idea, so maybe a higher spin head would make more sense.

Last edited:
300-400 revs less spin?! that seems like a lot. i'll be interested to see what these do for me when they come in. still not sure if i'm going to plug them into my mav pros, or get another set of heads to mess with. lowering spin on the mav pro does not seem like the best idea, so maybe a higher spin would make more sense.
Yes, from what I’ve been gaming, not necessarily from the 105 or 120

Good review!! Little on the heavy side for what I like but great addition to the lineup.

I'm a huge fan of the Modus lineup so these have my interest. I'm not sure the lower spin would be good for me but I like where they sit in the lineup. It could be a nice happy medium for my game.

This looks like a solid addition to the Modus lineup.

3 weights of a classic profile.

I may have to try this guy out and maybe finally ditch 130g class steel.

This looks like a solid addition to the Modus lineup.

3 weights of a classic profile.

I may have to try this guy out and maybe finally ditch 130g class steel.
To be fair, it’s actually the blending of two profiles more than anything, of their “automatic” and “manual” designs of the 105 and 120. And man, they did a tremendous job of creating something new that blends.

To be fair, it’s actually the blending of two profiles more than anything, of their “automatic” and “manual” designs of the 105 and 120. And man, they did a tremendous job of creating something new that blends.

I just got fit into something wholly different, but definitely enjoy the 120s. Nice to see them providing more options. The limited black option is 🔥🔥🔥

@Jman great write up as usual. I played the 120’s all year and enjoyed them. I need to track down a set of these ASAP. Any one that has access to the limited edition sets and can get a 4-pw in stiff point me in the right direction. Thanks

@Jman great write up as usual. I played the 120’s all year and enjoyed them. I need to track down a set of these ASAP. Any one that has access to the limited edition sets and can get a 4-pw in stiff point me in the right direction. Thanks
Would definitely enjoy hearing your thoughts if you track some down!

Very fine review and seem to be a quality option for those who play them or might.

Very fine review and seem to be a quality option for those who play them or might.
It’s definitely a weight class more players seem to be gravitating towards.

Spent more time on these Friday evening before putting my back out all the way.

I continue to stand by my comments in the article, there is a blend with MODUS of stability and feel that the other steel manufacturers seem to end up on extremes of rather than in the middle like these.

Exceptionally well written review, with all of the information a potential consumer would want to have.

Exceptionally well written review, with all of the information a potential consumer would want to have.
I truly appreciate that Craig!

Really thought I had commented here already. Good write-up @Jman . Really felt like a bit of a hole in their lineup and I'm excited to see this since I'm a Modus fan, it's a weight range more where I've been trying to play, and a lot of others should fit. The big question is, where can they be found??

Really thought I had commented here already. Good write-up @Jman . Really felt like a bit of a hole in their lineup and I'm excited to see this since I'm a Modus fan, it's a weight range more where I've been trying to play, and a lot of others should fit. The big question is, where can they be found??
Will be available through gutters everywhere, initially though it’s a limited number of black sets out there in the wild, chrome is aimed at an early to mid 2021 release

my guy secured a black set but in s flex. if you don’t have any luck, i can ask him if can get x flex (or tx).

Last edited:
Back