No Golf Cart Usage Means No Golf For Me

Our DipStick governor here in Washington is opening up golf on May 5th....sort of. He has put a limit of two people per group instead of threesomes or foursomes for each tee time. The only exception: If all the people are from the same household, a foursome is acceptable. I guess this limit will be reviewed weekly, so hopefully enough people will let him know that the limit is moronic and needs to be opened up. I'm wondering if my local courses will open with only twosomes. Does it make financial sense to do so? I haven't heard any rules on carts yet.

Last week the courses opened in Wisconsin, no carts...

Unless you could prove Handicap (Drivers License, I believe). We had one guy in our league drive a cart.

Well, I carry a Handicap plaque in my car for handicapped parking, I wonder if that would work?

Last edited:
Now that our esteemed Governor has decide to open the golf courses in Illinois as of May 1st many of you here in Illinois will be able to get out and play. Golf cart usage is not allowed though. After my lower back surgery 6 years ago I've developed Neuropathy in both feet which makes walking a real chore. So the only way I can play golf is by using a golf cart. Just wondering how many other people are limited by a ailment or handicap that requires them to ride instead of walk. One thing I am not looking for is sympathy, my problem just limits my mobility on the golf course.
This is why on Twitter I claimed that this opening is so restrictive that the Senior Golfer that have to take a cart would be left out.
I've read were there are plenty of courses in Illinois not happy, they will be operating in the "Red" the moment they open their doors on Friday.

Our Tuesday Night league at Mount Prospect will NOT start on 5/5 because the league so large and couldn't get everyone out.
May have to do a Half season this year....

BTW: I have seen that if you have a Handicap Parking Placard for your car that some courses would give you a cart. I believe that was a last minute tweak to the rules.

This is why on Twitter I claimed that this opening is so restrictive that the Senior Golfer that have to take a cart would be left out.
I've read were there are plenty of courses in Illinois not happy, they will be operating in the "Red" the moment they open their doors on Friday.

Our Tuesday Night league at Mount Prospect will NOT start on 5/5 because the league so large and couldn't get everyone out.
May have to do a Half season this year....

BTW: I have seen that if you have a Handicap Parking Placard for your car that some courses would give you a cart. I believe that was a last minute tweak to the rules.

As mentioned above I do have said parking placard. ;)

The trouble is finding some golf course who would allow you to do so. ☹

:laughing: And just to add insult to injury, it's 74* and sunny here in Chicago today. No :golf2:for me today. :ROFLMAO:

Oh well!. There's GC 19, but it isn't quite the same. :rolleyes:

Parking placard should be sufficient. Once you can talk to someone other than a computer hopefully you will get some clarification.

That sucks. I would have a much harder time without a cart.

1588097078227.png

Do you have access to a rudimentary lathe?:ROFLMAO: <-- tv show or movie quote

Are you able to ride a bicycle or tricycle?
Do you have a tow behind wagon for said bicycle?
Will the tow behind fit your bag and clubs?
Do you have a truck or SUV or van the above bike and trailer will fit?

See where this is going? There's nothing in the posted rules strictly prohibiting it nor does it appear to he addressed at all really... it's not a cart per se... it's a bike. With a trailer.

There are guys golfing with their clubs strapped to moving dollies to meet the "pull cart" requirement for walking the course... this is along the same lines.

Nevertheless, the golf course only are seeing three words in the rulings for golf courses. That is, "No Golf Carts" period.

Last edited:
Aww man. Don't they realize, there's the letter/intent of the law, and the spirit of the law...

I get it though. They don't want to risk losing anything.

New Jersey courses remain close and no foreseeable date in which they will open. I hate to see the restrictions being put in place when they do open.

@fairwaynut I hope you get this worked out and can play. Playing golf has been a great source of stress relief for me. Agree with others on the no cart restriction. Seems excessive. As long as they clean the carts between use, distancing is fine that way. We started no carts but then quickly transitioned to one per cart. We also started with no practice areas. Those are all open now.

@fairwaynut I hope you get this worked out and can play. Playing golf has been a great source of stress relief for me. Agree with others on the no cart restriction. Seems excessive. As long as they clean the carts between use, distancing is fine that way. We started no carts but then quickly transitioned to one per cart. We also started with no practice areas. Those are all open now.

Hopefully, that will also happen here in Illinois also. ;)

All but one of the courses here in Denver is no carts and most sites say no exceptions.

I have been walking 9 as I had a foot injury last year and think I will get worn out by hole 14. Plus it is still soar for a few days after I play.

I will say I have enjoyed walking, plan to do it more as my foot gets back to normal.

Attachments

• 2020-04-28_2124.png
    2020-04-28_2124.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hope you see some resolution here soon! I wonder if it’s an oversight on administration...

This is true, but the local courses near me like St Andrews and Bloomingdale say on their website, no carts period. I just finished looking.
Yeah call and ask. Seems like that could go against disability acts/laws.

Some rules are pretty funny. The no handshake for one amuses me. The congregating on the tee box is another.
Its amazing how we need govt to tell us how to be adults while golfing. We have all been going through this for 2 months now. People know what's up and they will do their part.
People who don't won't as they are comfortable with the guys in their group. So they'll shake hands, stand close to each other etc.

To the OP you should call the courses you want to golf and tell them according to state guidelines you are able to take a cart even if they say no carts. Its called the Americans with Disability Act. You have a placard in your card allowing you to park in handicap spots so they need to be able to accommodate you with a cart. Worth a shot.

I prefer riding, someplace to sit while waiting. Plus the feet have been acting up a bit lately. They hurt after walking.... and I do a lot of that during work, on concrete floors. 10-12 miles in concrete OUCH

Looks like no carts for the month of May in my league. Hope my hip can make it!

My local executive course will let carts out for those who medically require them.

Dave

One thing I am not looking for is sympathy, my problem just limits my mobility on the golf course.
You may not be looking for it, but we all feel for you. Life is too short. Golf seasons up north are too short. I hope things change soon so you can get out there.

I've spent some time looking on GolfNow this evening and actually found a course that is allowing cart usage. Going to call the course in the morning and check that this is no mistake. If they are allowing cart usage, I'm going to try and get a tee time for next Wednesday or Thursday. BTW, the name of the course is Hilldale Golf Club.

There have been some very bizarre rules around golf during this pandemic. No carts makes no sense. Common sense should tell you single rider carts are perfectly safe with carts getting wiped down after each round. Pretty simple. Hope you get back on the course soon(y)

Mt Prospect is allowing carts for those with disabilities

439A14ED-8676-4EC2-A2B7-3E8B1069FBA4.jpeg

Back