No Left shaft vs No Right shaft

Agree. I’ll add that you can’t assume all driver heads of the same model are the same. I have three Callaway Sub Zero 9* driver heads and they all have different trajectory and direction differences when I swap the heads out and keep the shaft as a constant. QC allows for variances and those variances can make a real difference.
That would be a very interesting test on the launch monitor. Take data from the two drivers, swap shafts and repeat. It would probably have to be a multi day test and repeat the swap both days to truly get a good look at results.
If the sim is open next week I'll have to try that out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That would be a very interesting test on the launch monitor. Take data from the two drivers, swap shafts and repeat. It would probably have to be a multi day test and repeat the swap both days to truly get a good look at results.
If the sim is open next week I'll have to try that out.

Even then, it wouldn't prove much. To have enough data to prove a difference in heads that are supposed to be the same, you would have to hit thousands upon thousands of shots and exclude the outliers OR have a robot that provides the same strikes. If one strike is a few mm off from the previous, those numbers can not be used to prove anything because the strike is different and would cause different numbers.

Even then, it wouldn't prove much. To have enough data to prove a difference in heads that are supposed to be the same, you would have to hit thousands upon thousands of shots and exclude the outliers OR have a robot that provides the same strikes. If one strike is a few mm off from the previous, those numbers can not be used to prove anything because the strike is different and would cause different numbers.

I don't need that many strikes. In a blind test with my "gamer" Epic SZ head and the two others that I own, it would only take me about 5 shots with each to confirm which was my gamer. I can even look at the head at address and see a slightly more open face angle with the one I like best. It only has to be different for me, not other golfers or a robot.

I don't need that many strikes. In a blind test with my "gamer" Epic SZ head and the two others that I own, it would only take me about 5 shots with each to confirm which was my gamer. I can even look at the head at address and see a slightly more open face angle with the one I like best. It only has to be different for me, not other golfers or a robot.

I wasn't referring to you being able to personally pick a driver. To correctly confirm that one head outperforms another across the board would be a longer process. How many swings you need for confirmation is up to you.

@Summit it would give me enough to see a trend. I have not tested these two in the sim against each other so I want to do that anyways.
Once I settled into a swing for either shaft the distance differences were negligible.
My league play (simulator league) has been all with the Tensei. Indoors it's always been my biggest struggle to get a driver to behave. Most success has been to just play FW. But on the sim the Tensei has been such a steady club.
Getting the Superlite55 to work for me on the Sim was using that closed, draw stance which for me really knocks down the spin. Oncourse it plays great, in the Sim it was now where near as consistent as the Tensei.

@Summit it would give me enough to see a trend. I have not tested these two in the sim against each other so I want to do that anyways.
Once I settled into a swing for either shaft the distance differences were negligible.
My league play (simulator league) has been all with the Tensei. Indoors it's always been my biggest struggle to get a driver to behave. Most success has been to just play FW. But on the sim the Tensei has been such a steady club.
Getting the Superlite55 to work for me on the Sim was using that closed, draw stance which for me really knocks down the spin. Oncourse it plays great, in the Sim it was now where near as consistent as the Tensei.

I wasn't implying that anyone here personally needs thousands of swings to find their favorite. Hopefully that is understood. I was simply saying that to prove that 3 of the "same" heads are still different, we would need a lot of data to prove anything. That's all.

As a side note, depending on what kind of simulator software/hardware you're using, I would be weary of the numbers provided. Even TrackMan 4 indoors can produce some numbers that are extremely incorrect. So if one plays great on course and poorly on the simulator, I would not label that as proof of anything.

I have unlimited access to two different simulators. Flightscope and a Skytrack. The Skytrack is horrible at driver speeds North of 100, but is exceptionally good at half wedge shots.
The Flightscope is terrible at chip shots but is great at high driver speeds.
So ofcourse I take all my indoor results with a grain of salt. But that Tensei has been so reliable indoors and just as reliable outdoors.
I have about 8 different shafts that can fit in my KE4 TC heads and so far that Tensei has been the most reliable by a good margin. There are others that seem longer but I'm more than ok with 280ish in the short grass. It was super early in the season and a lot of balls were plugging in the fairway. Even at that I am keeping up with a much younger guy who was flying over my ball the past few seasons.

No left shaft vs no right shaft - there is no such thing as either, not even on the PGA Tour:

I have unlimited access to two different simulators. Flightscope and a Skytrack. The Skytrack is horrible at driver speeds North of 100, but is exceptionally good at half wedge shots.
The Flightscope is terrible at chip shots but is great at high driver speeds.
So ofcourse I take all my indoor results with a grain of salt. But that Tensei has been so reliable indoors and just as reliable outdoors.
I have about 8 different shafts that can fit in my KE4 TC heads and so far that Tensei has been the most reliable by a good margin. There are others that seem longer but I'm more than ok with 280ish in the short grass. It was super early in the season and a lot of balls were plugging in the fairway. Even at that I am keeping up with a much younger guy who was flying over my ball the past few seasons.

That's great that the Tensei has proven to be a good setup for you. Sometimes during some of my fittings, we need to head outdoors to prove it is working. Some players really struggle indoors on a simulator.

I believe the OP has experimented with different shafts, including adjusting his address technique/ swing to make particular shafts strike particular types of shots.
This is a normal process for well skilled players, they make technique adjustments to fit the equipment they are swinging.
I don't believe the OP here ever stated or implied that a particular shaft was "designed" to produce left or right biased shots.

I believe the OP has experimented with different shafts, including adjusting his address technique/ swing to make particular shafts strike particular types of shots.
This is a normal process for well skilled players, they make technique adjustments to fit the equipment they are swinging.
I don't believe the OP here ever stated or implied that a particular shaft was "designed" to produce left or right biased shots.

I agree with you, but people are answering his question in his original post. Which was

"My question is, Do you feel more comfortable with the no right shaft.. or the no left shaft?"

That is where people are chiming in saying there is no such thing.

I agree with you, but people are answering his question in his original post. Which was

"My question is, Do you feel more comfortable with the no right shaft.. or the no left shaft?"

That is where people are chiming in saying there is no such thing.

Yes, I understand some people misunderstood the theme and point of the OP.
But (as you likely know), well skilled players often do differentiate and, or, categorize particular shafts by ball flight tendencies they may have with those shafts.
Most Tour players typically try and set up their bags (and club specifications) with clubs that avoid a two way miss. For example Mark Calcavecchia used to have his Ping iron sets produced and maintained with severely flat lie angles. He was fine with a right miss but never wanted to see his shots miss left, and his club specs helped him achieve that goal.

Back