No tipping private clubs

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
How many of you are members at clubs with a No Tipping Policy? Our club is no tipping but it seems everyone looks the other way on it. I kind of wish it was either strictly enforced or done away with because it can make one uncomfortable when you don’t tip due to the policy yet another member gives the bartender at nice discrete tip.

Ugh that is awful. I agree though, either do away with the policy or make it strict no tipping.

Doesn't really apply to my club, but ambiguity on that anywhere is the worst. Stick to the policy, or get rid of it. The reason it's there is the make things EASIER, not worse. Feel for ya.

No tipping policies at private clubs are the most ridiculous thing in the world. Luckily around here there's no such thing, but know some guys who worked at some clubs near Toronto and it was fairly strict.

fairly new to my club. but they keep sending out this awkward policy of "our staff is paid well and tipping is not required, but you can tip". Also, there's still a tip line on any receipts. Some people tip a lot, some not as all.

"our staff is paid well and tipping is not required, but you can tip"
Honestly, why say anything then?

Don't do this...unless you want to...eh F it do w/e you want.

I tip all the time......when its earned that is.

My last club added 17% to bar/meal tabs but allowed no other tipping and accepted no cash anywhere on the course. We would have a chance to tip the staff at the end of the year by adding whatever amount we wanted to be divided equally - sort of a Christmas bonus. I used to add $300 each year.

My last club added 17% to bar/meal tabs but allowed no other tipping and accepted no cash anywhere on the course. We would have a chance to tip the staff at the end of the year by adding whatever amount we wanted to be divided equally - sort of a Christmas bonus. I used to add $300 each year.

That's a really solid middle ground.

this makes too much sense.

Not a member of any club, but this ⬆ makes great sense.

Pretty simple really, either enforce it or don't. Shouldn't be any grey area.

The club I just joined adds like 18% or something to everything with the majority going to the staff as a tip. Everything gets charged to your account. So, there never is really any cash changing hands. I am fine with it. Honestly, I usually tip more than that though, so they are missing out on extra. But, I am sure there are a lot of people who wouldn't tip at all that would offset the few dollars I would add to it.

fairly new to my club. but they keep sending out this awkward policy of "our staff is paid well and tipping is not required, but you can tip". Also, there's still a tip line on any receipts. Some people tip a lot, some not as all.

Not a golf club or tipping, but this is the same policy most Bay area cities have with urinating/defecating in public.

In both instances either have a policy and enforce it or get rid of it and let it be and let the **** fly.

Ours is 18% automatically added (you don't have a choice), but they can take cash for payment as well a card or member charge. Then they do the Christmas shared bonus option too. Ours is automatically $40 unless you want to add more.

The only downfall I've seen is that some of the waitstaff seem to not be as helpful, as if they don't care because they are getting the tip one way or the other. Apparently I'm not the only one that feels that way because it was listed as a top priority to fix in their state of the club email I received today.

My club has an 18% "service fee". I think its BS because 10% goes to the club and only 8% to the server. It's owned by a chinese company and they changed this about 3 years ago. I usually tip a little extra to the servers which keeps me in their good graces and a free beer every now and then. We also do the Christmas bonus in which you are automatically in for $25 unless you opt out. Many members will also tip good employees themselves during the Holidays.

This is how it should be done imo.

That is exactly how we are supposed to do it. At the end of the year all 400+ employees receive nearly $1k in gift bonus. But then I hear the bartenders (who make between $18 and $25 per hour) talking about who tipped and who didn’t over Christmas. It bugs me not because I’m cheap but because I like spreading the wealth.

I’ll tel you the one that just left me scratching my head was a very prestigious old county club I play at occasionally. The first time I played there I was told explicitly that tips are not allowed and was asked to not break the rule. Then when I’m done with my round, my shoes came back shined and my host asked if I tipped the locker attendant. Of course I didn’t didn’t. My host the said “the locker attendant is the exception. You need to tip him.”

WTF. First you tell me that tipping is strictly forbidden and now you are telling me that I should tip the attendant.

That is exactly how we are supposed to do it. At the end of the year all 400+ employees receive nearly $1k in gift bonus. But then I hear the bartenders (who make between $18 and $25 per hour) talking about who tipped and who didn’t over Christmas. It bugs me not because I’m cheap but because I like spreading the wealth.

I’ll tel you the one that just left me scratching my head was a very prestigious old county club I play at occasionally. The first time I played there I was told explicitly that tips are not allowed and was asked to not break the rule. Then when I’m done with my round, my shoes came back shined and my host asked if I tipped the locker attendant. Of course I didn’t didn’t. My host the said “the locker attendant is the exception. You need to tip him.”

WTF. First you tell me that tipping is strictly forbidden and now you are telling me that I should tip the attendant.

It's funny how it's different at every club and I always ask the tipping and cell phone rules when I'm a guest.

At my club, guys tip the bag room attendants $2-$5 each time. They add 10% to your bar/food tab but an extra tip is expected IMO. No cash or credit cards at the beverage/snack shack at my course but they take cash and credit inside the clubhouse. Most of the premium clubs I've been to don't allow cash except for tips, if they allow those, lol. The last time I was a guest it was at Collier's Reserve in Naples and they don't allow hats anywhere inside including the pro shop. Most clubs allow them in the pro shop and locker room but nowhere else.

Our club also adds the gratuity to our account and I have literally never seen a wallet come out anywhere at our club. This is my third year so I'll ask if I'm reticent on something but as far as I know and can surmise, we don't tip.

How many of you are members at clubs with a No Tipping Policy? Our club is no tipping but it seems everyone looks the other way on it. I kind of wish it was either strictly enforced or done away with because it can make one uncomfortable when you don’t tip due to the policy yet another member gives the bartender at nice discrete tip.
I worked at one and belong to a club that is close to that. As an employee, I knew who tipped and I went out of my way to deliver great service. As a member, it is way harder. I try to toss a little something in there where I can but understand it isn't expected.

Interesting read as I have been wondering about this. I'm potentially going to join a private club soon, so I guess I should ask about the tipping there. On the open days that I have played the course, the bag guys are always getting tipped, so I just fall into line with everyone else.

I went to a member/guest in Flagstaff this year at a strict no-tipping club. The staff enforced it themselves - if you offered them a tip, they refused. My guess is 1) they're well paid, and 2) they have been trained that they will be in trouble if they accept tips.

I would agree with you that the ambiguity doesn't work... makes for too many awkward situations.

It’s one or the other. You can’t have a rule and then be seen to enforce ambiguity... Personally, I like the no tip option. Pay your employees what they’re worth. If anyone else then wants to engage in a personal services type contract, then make it above board and expect to count those monies towards your income at tax time.

Back