Non-Confirming drivers found during testing again

Alez367

Formerly Carlos C.
Reaction score
Handicap
So a big mess was made about Xander last season regarding Cor /CT testing of his driver. It appears the tour did indeed intend on testing drivers more often during the new season as a couple of players drivers were flagged for testing during just the 3rd week of the new season.

Cheater cheater pumpkin eaters.

I think we see a lot of this, this year. For a while at least.

What’s the take on this. Manufacturing variability or as Jman noted, “cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater?” I haven’t followed this. Curious. I expect the latter.

Huh, not what I expected at all. Google tells me this:

“They all start off legal and then the face starts to deform and the CT number increases,” he told Reuters, explaining that even non-conforming clubs confer little if any advantage.

Last edited:
I thought it was the ball....:unsure:

Not surprised, figured there would be more last season after the Xander thing.

Probably will be more prevalent this year as I think the media will be all over it

I heard something that amused me pretty good once the new CT test on tour rule came out. Anyone who gets a green light driver, is going to be swapping that out. Why give me a green light one when I can get away with a yellow light one just the same?

Are these guys at some point going to end up in the tour van before every event trying to get their numbers sorted?

Odds are they are either going to start with new heads each week or slow down tour models.
1-2 over isn't impacting distance much, but would cause it to be deemed illegal. So why deal with the headache of creep for a couple of yards

Odds are they are either going to start with new heads each week or slow down tour models.
1-2 over isn't impacting distance much, but would cause it to be deemed illegal. So why deal with the headache of creep for a couple of yards
Great question, and a big reason why I said what I did.

The hassle and frustration of messing with a head sounds like a headache to me.

This is interesting cause it makes you wonder how many illegal drivers might be in play for the average joe?

This is interesting cause it makes you wonder how many illegal drivers might be in play for the average joe?
Or how many are on the other end of the spectrum and are at a low, low end.

And if knowing that could happen over time, how many joe six packs will keep a driver longer for a few percentage points of benefit?

It’s interesting conversation because you start wondering how many amateur tournaments have some illegal drivers, known or not.

@Molten I feel like every driver I’ve bought is at the low end :p

I knew it really was the driver and not my swing LOL!

It’s interesting conversation because you start wondering how many amateur tournaments have some illegal drivers, known or not.

@Molten I feel like every driver I’ve bought is at the low end :p
In my hands, they have to be under the range based on my numbers lol. I feel your pain

Interesting to see that it is multiple manufacturers, as you kind of get taught to look at the common denominator for issues. If it were one particular brand more than another then the brand could be the issue, but with multiple brands perhaps the testing is in fact flawed

Not a testing issue. Players get close but legal drivers and over time they creep towards illegal. So ether the driver fails or the face fails eventually. Plus the companies take advantage of the testing error rate cushion as is. Mostly a non story imo

Cheater cheater pumpkin eaters.

I think we see a lot of this, this year. For a while at least.

Def think we'll see it for a bit, but then like most things, the companies will make a statement that they'll be better, rules officials will say they've spoken to manufactures about the issue, and then it will all blow over.

The more I learn about this, the more it seems overblown. The clubs start in spec and then can deform very slightly out of spec over time. And the green, yellow, red designations are bizarre. As long as people aren't purposely modifying the head, I would just let it go.

This makes me think of football and how firm or soft the ball. PV = nRT Physics matters.

I'm nota sure the player knows his driver does not conform, but I bet the company knew it when they sent it to the player.

Those red and yellow drivers with 3-6 inches more carry.

I'm nota sure the player knows his driver does not conform, but I bet the company knew it when they sent it to the player.
One such company has admitted to delivering drivers beyond the 239 limit

I read somewhere that MIchael Thompson had his driver tested by his OEM supporter just prior to this event and was within spec and then he arrives at tournament and bam, his driver fails. If there is a difference between protocol and/or equipment between PGA and OEM’s, they better get on the same page. Ultimately it doesn’t look good on the players. I also thought the names of players who “failed “ the test were going to be confidential but I guess that policy didn’t last long.

Back