Non-conforming wedges

billyh

Goodwill Hunter
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lot
I’ve been looking at picking up a non-conforming wedge or three to play around with. I’ve read the reviews here on the Indi Stingray, and reviewing their putter right now has me leaning to them. Is there any other wedges I should look at?

I’ve been curious to try some older Mizuno offerings. There’s also a Vokey that lots of people talk about... can’t remember the number..

What's the draw?

I’ve been looking at picking up a non-conforming wedge or three to play around with. I’ve read the reviews here on the Indi Stingray, and reviewing their putter right now has me leaning to them. Is there any other wedges I should look at?

If you decide to go with Indi, make sure you are on their mailing list. They are pretty pricey at full price but they seem to run a lot of specials so you could probably knock a good chunk off.

I have one of their conforming wedges and it seems pretty solid. Hopefully will get it on the course for the first time within the next 2 weeks. Course scheduled to re-open...finally...on 5/15.

What's the draw to non-conforming wedges?
Really just want to see the green side spin/stop difference. I struggle with wedges and spin. I don’t play competitive and don’t really have the time for lessons. Just something to have fun with.

Really just want to see the green side spin/stop difference. I struggle with wedges and spin. I don’t play competitive and don’t really have the time for lessons. Just something to have fun with.

Gotcha. I don't think it'd make much difference for the vast majority of us. Probably those who do play competitively and have time for lessons are the ones who'd see the benefit.

They are a lot of fun, that’s for sure.

Old SM2 can be had for very little. Just make sure it has the red saw. They may not have the same letters for naming the grinds but a lot of them are there. Also for amateurs they are conforming until 2024 except certain high level amateur events.

If you are talking about even more aggressive grooves than that then I guess the indi wedge comes to mind.

They’re a lot of fun, especially if you don’t take yourself overly serious on the topic like some here do. I’ve got a 60 kicking around still I’ll drop off in the mail for you this week. (y)

Not quite a shoulder tap but very awesome @Jman!!

Looked at their site and liked their putters until I saw the price.

Not a Vokey fan now, but the old 200 Series spun all day and a ton of them in the used bins for super cheap. Cleveland Zip Grooves probably spin more, but you'll have to pay more.

What's the draw to non-conforming wedges?

Some gripes don't go away easily.
I'm still furious about losing steel spikes, and how long ago was that?

The 2010 groove rule didn't sit right with me.
I don't have non-conforming wedges right now, but if there was one that I liked, I wouldn't hesitate to bag it.

I sometimes include an old fashioned sand iron that probably doesn't conform, come to think of it..
As a greenside bunker club, the grooves are irrelevant anyway. Some of these old clubs are dot punched instead of grooved.
Not going to worry about it.

They’re a lot of fun, especially if you don’t take yourself overly serious on the topic like some here do. I’ve got a 60 kicking around still I’ll drop off in the mail for you this week. (y)
That's awesome! I read it right after I got the bag loaded on the cart this morning. My wife asked me what got me all giddy. I told her another club was going to be on its way. Got me a good eye roll.

One of my regular partners games an illegal LW. The spin is beyond magic for him and it's fun for sure. We let him get away with it but we do bust on him whenever he steals a hole with it, mostly in jest. We're only playing for small stakes and bragging rights anyway and he's such a fun guy to golf with, why risk wrecking it?

One of my regular partners games an illegal LW. The spin is beyond magic for him and it's fun for sure. We let him get away with it but we do bust on him whenever he steals a hole with it, mostly in jest. We're only playing for small stakes and bragging rights anyway and he's such a fun guy to golf with, why risk wrecking it?
Illegal or non-conforming? ;):geek:

Illegal or non-conforming? ;):geek:
Apologies as I'm unsure how wedges are classified and what the difference is? I'm only guessing illegal? It doesn't have grooves. The face is covered with sharp cross hatched diamonds like a file. It's 64* and it will sometimes even spin balls back uphill if he hits a full shot into a pin. Gotta be illegal right? He supposedly bought it for $10 at a K-Mart years ago?

Apologies as I'm unsure how wedges are classified and what the difference is? I'm only guessing illegal? It doesn't have grooves. The face is covered with sharp cross hatched diamonds like a file. It's 64* and it will sometimes even spin balls back uphill if he hits a full shot into a pin. Gotta be illegal right? He supposedly bought it for $10 at a K-Mart years ago?

Apparently, you missed my sarcasm. :eek::geek:

Illegal would mean breaking a law as defined by local, state, or federal law making agencies. Non-conforming would only mean breaking a rule as defined by the USGA, I'd think.

Illegal would mean breaking a law as defined by local, state, or federal law making agencies.
Round these parts illegal is a sick bird. We call everything else is against the law.

Smithworks makes some great looking Non-Conforming wedges check them out.

Back