Non Golf Shoes as Golf Shoes?

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Ever look at a pair of shoes and think they’d make great golf shoes?

Saw these “metcon” Nike’s in Dicks tonight while shopping for a elliptical for the wife. I think they’d make really cool golf shoes...

FDB1F2BA-CB16-42A8-8851-1FE9773F1B47.jpeg96007A54-A960-456D-9C49-7CAAE8F7D554.jpeg

I wear a pair of comfortable 3/4 top walking shoes. An identical pair are my hiking shoes.

The semi aggressive sole gives me enough traction to prevent a slipping injury when golfing. The 3/4 top offers up great ankle support.

It's been years (decades?) since I wore a pair of golf specific shoes.

Most of the golfers I see these days are wearing some sort of tennis shoe, as it is.

I think it all the time, and then I remember it's wet here, and my right foot slips even in 'golf shoes' that don't have actual golf traction soles, so I move along.

Lately I've actually been wishing some golf shoes would just be regular shoes.

Absolutely! I've got a pair of minimalist trail shoes that I'm going to try next year. The sole pattern looks very similar to a pair of spikeless I saw.

I don't think shoes with loads of thick cushion work well for a golfer. I find they are somewhat unstable from certain lies and create an inability to feel the slope of the green.

There are more and more golf shoes that don't look like golf shoes

I can see they are sort of different but pretty bulky but in concept they could be altered I guess. So many options today, I’d rather manufacturers invent a low cost, comfortable, waterproof shoe that had an inkling of style.

I can see they are sort of different but pretty bulky but in concept they could be altered I guess. So many options today, I’d rather manufacturers invent a low cost, comfortable, waterproof shoe that had an inkling of style.

The low cost issue and waterproof is not compatible unless it's last year's model.

We have so many great choices for golf shoes now compared to 30 years ago. I remember in the early 90’s having to pay over $100 for decent waterproof FootJoys and and they certainly didn’t have any styles I wanted that were waterproof but I wore the uglier ones because I played 100+ early morning rounds each summer and I needed the waterproof. Now I can get mesh and any other style golf shoes that are waterproof. Golf shoes are one of the many things in golf that are way better and less expensive than they were in the days before the internet. My top of line Puma Ignite Proadapts are only $140 on Amazon. Good shoes are a relatively small cost considering a round can easily cost $75 and a dozen premium balls are $40+.

I don't think shoes with loads of thick cushion work well for a golfer. I find they are somewhat unstable from certain lies and create an inability to feel the slope of the green.
Along that train of thought, I've often wondered if going back and forth between thicker and thinner sole golf shoes is a good idea. Even though it may be by a small amount, one's "distance from the ball" will vary, possible affecting one's game I would think. I like to remove all variables that could affect my game so I wear the same brand and style of shoe, just in different colors, for every round. I know, I'm OCD!

This look better than many “golf shoes” in the market today. If someone in my group played wearing those it wouldn’t cross my mind to ask if they are golf specific or not.

Along that train of thought, I've often wondered if going back and forth between thicker and thinner sole golf shoes is a good idea. Even though it may be by a small amount, one's "distance from the ball" will vary, possible affecting one's game I would think. I like to remove all variables that could affect my game so I wear the same brand and style of shoe, just in different colors, for every round. I know, I'm OCD!

I rotate three pairs of True Lux's:ROFLMAO:

I wore my athletic shoes which had a waffle board sole design so I thought traction wouldn't be an issue and it wasn't. The issue I encountered were the lateral forces experienced during the golf swing which I felt the shoe did not provide me enough lateral stability to "hold me in". I felt like I was rolling over too much to my left side on the follow through. It wasn't bad but have stuck with golf shoes since.

Back