Non Matching Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So I carry three wedges. All three are currently different brands. I was with someone earlier and they said they couldn’t do it because “their mind wouldn’t allow it”. It donned on me that most do have matching wedges both in style and brand. Where do you stand on this?

I have three different brands of heads but they all have matching shafts.

If you want to be picky my 58/6 has a white colorway while the others have a black colorway.

I haven’t in the past but I’ve considered it. I currently game TM wedges and have for the last few years because I liked how the milled grind performed in the sand. I’ve struggled with the 52 though and thought about putting a 52° vokey in because I got along really well with it before the TMs

Played for the first few years with a mis-matched set. They match now…

I’m not sure it matters too much as long as you put in time to practice with them.

All of my wedges are the same brand, Cleveland, but different models. Halo GW, CBX2 54°, and Smart Sole SW

Matched. I never thought of it that way before “the mind wouldn’t allow it” but it was true. Even with my old mismatched set of irons the wedges were always the same brand.

My wedges don't need to match. I currently carry five wedges across four brands.

3 wedges
3 different brands
3 different shafts
2 different grips

Currently, my 54 and 58 are from the same brand, but one is full toe and a darker finish and the other is chrome and a bit more traditional.

I like having them the same but it wouldn't really matter if they were different

Oh my gosh no, wedges have to match each other.

Have had Vokeys ever since day one, all 3. But I wouldn't have an issue playing any other wedges if they outperform these. I've had a Cleveland wedge in play for a while too (thanks to THP ;))

Mine don’t match right now. Set AW. Cleveland zip code sand and hogan equalizer 2 lob.

I very much prefer the same grip on my clubs. The clubs themselves don't have to match, they just need to do what they're supposed to do.

The current 50° is a Hogan Equalizer. The 54° and 58° are Cobras.

I have frequently played different wedges. Right now I have the PW from my set (ZX5), Edison 49 and 59 and a 54* MD5. Before the Edisons I had a Vokey SM9 and the AW that matched the set.

I don’t need to have matching wedges as long as they perform the way I want and go the proper distances.

Yes I will want to have matching wedges. Either to my irons for the lower lofts like pitching and gap wedge, or all matching to the same wedge type. I don’t need something else for my mind to blame on a bad shot. Gotta be consistent.

Doesn’t bother me. My previous set was two brands, and the two of same brand were different model.

If it works, it works.

54 and 58 Ping Glides.
A and P Wedges ZX5s
Did not have to bend.
Whatever works for me, I am NOT brand specific.

I'll play whatever doesn't matter to.me

At one time I had Cleveland UHX pw and gw, Cleveland CBX2 52, Callaway PM Grind 56, and Ping 60. The pw and gw had matching recoil proto shafts, the 52 also had recoil but not proto, the 56 and 60 both had steel shafts. Early this year I replaced the 56 and 60 with Callaway Jaws with Catalyst graphite shafts. That change improved my wedge game dramatically.
More recently I’ve gone to Cobra FTx set pw/gw and Cobra Snakebite 54/58 all with recoils. I definitely like this setup better.

I’ve never had matching wedges. I play what works for my game.

Each wedge to me fills a specific need. I am totally ok with mishmash wedges.

Back