NorCal Crew hangout thread

Last week Diablo Grande closed their one remaining golf course as well as their clubhouse/restaurant operations.
I remember when Diablo Grande opened 20 years it was two sensational golf courses and plans for 2,000 homes. Since that time only 750 homes were built and now both courses are closed. I feel bad for the folks who bought homes out there expecting to be part of a golf community.

Never got to play that course. Always saw deals but the location had to be a deciding factor. Not really easy to get to from around from the West. Seemed to be too isolated.

Never got to play that course. Always saw deals but the location had to be a deciding factor. Not really easy to get to from around from the West. Seemed to be too isolated.

When built about 20 years ago, Diablo Grande had two truly sensational high end championship layout golf courses. To get there, the drive heading east is about 35 minutes from Livermore, and 45 to 55 minutes from millions of population. I think one initial hope of the developer was that a road could be constructed, southward and over the hills about 30 miles to connect with San Jose., but that never happened.
From a pure golf perspective I thought it was well worth it to drive an hour to 1.5 to get to those awesome courses, and I played each one of them about a dozen times. The Nicklaus designed courses in particular was very impressive.

Nor Cal Bay Area course closures during the past few years:

Stevenson Ranch (Stevenson)
Diablo Grande Nicklaus (Patterson)
Diablo Grande Ranch (Patterson)
Roddy Ranch GC (Antioch)
Shadow Lakes (Brentwood)
Deer Ridge (Brentwood)
Delta View (Pittsburgh)

Last week Diablo Grande closed their one remaining golf course as well as their clubhouse/restaurant operations.
I remember when Diablo Grande opened 20 years it was two sensational golf courses and plans for 2,000 homes. Since that time only 750 homes were built and now both courses are closed. I feel bad for the folks who bought homes out there expecting to be part of a golf community.
That really sucks. Says temporary until further notice on the web site. Problem is the course will most likely not be maintained

Roddy Ranch GC (Antioch)
Shadow Lakes (Brentwood)
Deer Ridge (Brentwood)
Delta View (Pittsburgh)
I believe Santa Clara can be added to that as of October.

Wow. I played Diablo Grande a couple of times and I liked the course even though it took about 1 1/2 hours to get there.

What really sucks, not only for the owners/golfers but the local farmers is that the lack of water is a political issue as much as it is a supply issue.

Roddy Ranch GC (Antioch)
Shadow Lakes (Brentwood)
Deer Ridge (Brentwood)
Delta View (Pittsburgh)

I would not consider Stevinson to be in the Bay Area but to each their own. Deer Ridge was just closed as Shadow lakes reopened was my understanding after the men's club I am a member of played the Deer Ridge club a couple months ago.

Sadly none of it is surprising. Land is expensive in California, more so when it is near Silicon Valley/San Francisco, golf courses take up a lot of land and require a lot of water, which has not been in plentiful supply so operating costs are high. Courses that I think are doing well are raising rates so think most if not all courses are feeling a squeeze.

What is the name of the Santa Clara course ?
I believe it was Santa Clara Muni. Right across from Levi Stadium. Houses and shopping are supposed to be built on the space.

I would not consider Stevinson to be in the Bay Area but to each their own. Deer Ridge was just closed as Shadow lakes reopened was my understanding after the men's club I am a member of played the Deer Ridge club a couple months ago.

Sadly none of it is surprising. Land is expensive in California, more so when it is near Silicon Valley/San Francisco, golf courses take up a lot of land and require a lot of water, which has not been in plentiful supply so operating costs are high. Courses that I think are doing well are raising rates so think most if not all courses are feeling a squeeze.

Shadow Lakes closed in 2017 ago and Deer Ridge closed a few weeks ago. These two courses were built 20 years ago to help sell the development (s) home sites. The problem is once the home sites are sold no person or company can make a go of operating a golf course profitably. Consumers want to pay $50 greens fees but $100 greens fees are needed to make it a profitable business.
Old time publicly owned courses such as Lone Tree-Antioch, Boundary Oaks-Walnut Creek, Diablo Creek-Concord, Tilden-Berkeley, Chabot-Oakland will stay open and get more play now that so many privately owned courses have closed.
Oakhurst in Clayton is struggling right now and my guess is that it might revert back to a course open for public play

Last edited:
We just dodged a bullet down here. Hunter Ranch, the course we’ve done the NorCal vs SoCal event, went up for sale and a few of the offers wanted to turn it into vineyard. Fortunately the winning offer is keeping it a golf course.

Too bad about Diablo, we had a fun gathering out there. I bet the rattlesnakes are going to be bored without all the golfers to scare the poo out of.

We just dodged a bullet down here. Hunter Ranch, the course we’ve done the NorCal vs SoCal event, went up for sale and a few of the offers wanted to turn it into vineyard. Fortunately the winning offer is keeping it a golf course.

Too bad about Diablo, we had a fun gathering out there. I bet the rattlesnakes are going to be bored without all the golfers to scare the poo out of.
At one time, maybe 10 years ago, did Hunter and La Pursima-Lompoc have the same owner?

Roddy Ranch GC (Antioch)
Shadow Lakes (Brentwood)
Deer Ridge (Brentwood)
Delta View (Pittsburgh)

Shadow Lakes (Brentwood) is scheduled to re-open next Spring. They have began re-sodding the fairways.

Just joined THP last week, happy to be here -- live in the Bay (SF specifically). Any norcal outings in the works?

Shadow Lakes (Brentwood) is scheduled to re-open next Spring. They have began re-sodding the fairways.

If Shadow does reopen, that will be good. Right now Lone Tree GC is getting crowded because Roddy Ranch closed, Delta View closed, Deer Ridge closed, and Brentwood GC is not well maintained.
The locals I talk to question whether Shadow will ever reopen, but if it's as you say "sodding fairways is happening", that's great news. I only played Shadow about a dozen times but thought it was a fun, interesting layout of holes, a good course.

I believe it was Santa Clara Muni. Right across from Levi Stadium. Houses and shopping are supposed to be built on the space.

I never played that course. It was named Santa Clara Golf and Tennis Club ? Was it a full length 18 hole regulation course ?

Just joined THP last week, happy to be here -- live in the Bay (SF specifically). Any norcal outings in the works?

Welcome to THP :)
Where do you like to play within the SF Bay Area ?

I never played that course. It was named Santa Clara Golf and Tennis Club ? Was it a full length 18 hole regulation course ?
Yes that’s the one. Yes it was full length and a nice range. Guess the property is worth to much for development. It’s right by my work is the only reason I know. I’ve been to the range a couple of times on lunch.

Welcome to THP :)
Where do you like to play within the SF Bay Area ?
Thanks! I usually try to play Harding Park or Presidio GC as they're the closest to me, but down to play anywhere within a 60 mile radius. I'm actually playing at Cinnabar this weekend, can't wait for the week to end!

Yeah you're right, it used to be called Santa Clara Golf and Tennis Club, which was a full length 18 hole course. I've played there a few times like 18 yrs ago, but haven't been since. Sad to see it go.

Thanks! I usually try to play Harding Park or Presidio GC as they're the closest to me, but down to play anywhere within a 60 mile radius. I'm actually playing at Cinnabar this weekend, can't wait for the week to end!

Cinnabar is fun ! Be careful driving out of there on that country road, as San Jose police lay in wait their to nail people for speeding.

Cinnabar is fun ! Be careful driving out of there on that country road, as San Jose police lay in wait their to nail people for speeding.
Been wanting to play Cinnebar. I usually play Coyote as I’m a member there. I play weekdays most of the time.

I still have not played there and it’s only about 10 miles from the house.

Good looking out! With how empty that road can get, I'm not surprised that's a popular speed trap. Seems ripe for picking.

I'm playing with a buddy of mine at Cinnabar this Saturday at 7:20am, looked at their website and it looks like there's still 1 spot left open for that time slot if anybody wants to sign up online. We're both mid handicappers (between 13-15 ish) so we're no pros by any stretch of the imagination, just love golf.

Back