North of the 49th

UberPete

Golfin' in the Hammer
Reaction score
Handicap
no skill?
Hello from Canada!

For about 20 years, I've been getting together with buddies from high school once a year for a weekend of golf. The golf has always been the afterthought, which is evident from my 120-125 score 🤣

Last year my 16 year old son showed some interest so I did a little more and started to enjoy the golf (as opposed to just getting together).

We took a few lessons together and have been out for about 10 rounds this summer. I've got my average score down to an honest 100 and if I can reduce my driver slice to something playable, I think I should be in the mid (low?!?) 90's by the end of the season.

I've just ordered a clicgear 4 pushcart as my bag is an old hand-me-down leather anchor but I'd like the exercise of walking.

If there is anyone else here from Ontario, especially Hamilton/Niagara area, I'd be happy to hear course suggestions.

Okay, that's about it for the intro!

:welcome:

Welcome to THP!! Glad to have you.

Welcome to THP! I know we have some THPers from Canada (and specifically Ontario) and they are all great people! Paging @Junkyard

Welcome aboard! Not from the Niagara/Ontario area but there's a few of us right across the lake in NYS. Only 90 minutes from the border.

Last edited:
Hello from Canada!

For about 20 years, I've been getting together with buddies from high school once a year for a weekend of golf. The golf has always been the afterthought, which is evident from my 120-125 score 🤣

Last year my 16 year old son showed some interest so I did a little more and started to enjoy the golf (as opposed to just getting together).

We took a few lessons together and have been out for about 10 rounds this summer. I've got my average score down to an honest 100 and if I can reduce my driver slice to something playable, I think I should be in the mid (low?!?) 90's by the end of the season.

I've just ordered a clicgear 4 pushcart as my bag is an old hand-me-down leather anchor but I'd like the exercise of walking.

If there is anyone else here from Ontario, especially Hamilton/Niagara area, I'd be happy to hear course suggestions.

Welcome aboard!!

Welcome to THP! Sounds like you are improving rapidly which is awesome.

BTW, I was a bit confused by the title. As you likely know, over 70% of Canadians live south of the 49th parallel. Hamilton I think is farther south than my home in Minneapolis which is the at the 45th parallel.

Youy're gonna enjoy yourselve here, :welcome:

Welcome to THP! Thanks for sharing your journey and please let me know what the secret is when you straighten the driver out 😆

Welcome to THP! Sounds like you are improving rapidly which is awesome.

BTW, I was a bit confused by the title. As you likely know, over 70% of Canadians live south of the 49th parallel. Hamilton I think is farther south than my home in Minneapolis which is the at the 45th parallel.

I guess it is more of a prairie territory reference. I think waaay back when the border was being established they used the 49th parallel out west but it actually isn't accurate for Ontario...

I used to say the great white north which was a semi sarcastic reference to the snow but these days I think that nickname might ruffle some feathers...

Land of the crazy Canuck? Hmmm...

I guess it is more of a prairie territory reference. I think waaay back when the border was being established they used the 49th parallel out west but it actually isn't accurate for Ontario...

I used to say the great white north which was a semi sarcastic reference to the snow but these days I think that nickname might ruffle some feathers...

Land of the crazy Canuck? Hmmm...
Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP!

Hello from Canada!

I got up to the 48th this weekend!

Welcome to THP from a fellow Canuck north of the 60th!

Welcome to THP from the 34th parallel, where the temperature is currently 15 degrees hotter than the 7th level of Hell! :LOL:

Welcome to THP. I live in Brantford, work in Burlington so I pass through/past the hammer every day. Not sure where you play your once-a-year round, but there is no shortage of courses in this area. It all depends on how much you're looking to spend really.

I play regularly at Flamborough Hills off hwy 52, it's a 27 hole facility that's pretty forgiving. You have a really nice course down the bottom end of the Red Hill called King's Forest. I could go on and on, but for the sake of the others I won't.

Get involved in the community here and if you're looking for a round contact me via PM and we'll set something up.

Welcome to THP. I live in Brantford, work in Burlington so I pass through/past the hammer every day. Not sure where you play your once-a-year round, but there is no shortage of courses in this area. It all depends on how much you're looking to spend really.

I play regularly at Flamborough Hills off hwy 52, it's a 27 hole facility that's pretty forgiving. You have a really nice course down the bottom end of the Red Hill called King's Forest. I could go on and on, but for the sake of the others I won't.

Get involved in the community here and if you're looking for a round contact me via PM and we'll set something up.

Thanks! I have never golfed there but have been meaning to check Flamborough Hills and your message has reminded me. I live in the Dundas area of Hamilton so I'm only about 10 minutes from the course.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the cost. As someone who has only really started trying to play last year, and covering the cost for myself and my son I've been picking up lots of promo rounds in the Haldimand/Simcoe area. It seems to be much cheaper down Port Dover way. I've still got three more Underpar/Wagjag certificates to use.

The King's Forest Course is on my bucket list too. I think it's one of the oldest in the area.

I tried to get a booking at Tyandaga but after about 5 days of no one answering the Pro shop phone line, I gave up.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!!

Back