Northern, Nj, NYC, Westchester and Long Island, Ny

Ok, should be $75 for in state resident. Going to be a wet course, and very muggy. Dress appropiate. I will be there in my Barclays green shirt on the main putting green out front or the one by the green and black start depending on how busy it is.
I brought my waterproof shoes for this reason. I'll be in a heather blue shirt with a callaway trucker hat.

Quick message for the group heading out to Bethpage later today (24 jun 2017). I just found out that the entire park is closed because of the rain this morning. I got as far as the Farmingdale train station and found out from the taxi crew. i also called 516 249 0701 and confirmed the closing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sorry to be the bearer of bad news. was looking forward to reading the after-action of the round.

Quick message for the group heading out to Bethpage later today (24 jun 2017). I just found out that the entire park is closed because of the rain this morning. I got as far as the Farmingdale train station and found out from the taxi crew. i also called 516 249 0701 and confirmed the closing.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news. was looking forward to reading the after-action of the round.

captaincaution found the bad news from Bethpage this morning on the Twitter. Appreciate the heads up..we were looking forward to having in-round and post-round action!

Has anybody played Warren Brook in NJ lately? I played my 1st round there many years ago and remember it being tight with many blind shots. A friend I haven't seen in a while set us up for tee times tomorrow a.m. I haven't played much this year and I doubt he has either, so probably not the type of course to play when you're not on top of your game.

Bump for the upcoming NJSGA Member Golf Days: https://www.njsga.org/competitions/member-golf-days/

I'm debating signing up for The Ridge on 8/7 (Monday), but I would really like to play Forest Hill on 8/17 (Thursday). It's a 2-person team event with flighted team net Stableford scoring. The NJSGA and MGA days are a lot of fun and a great chance to play a course that you probably wouldn't get to play otherwise. Would anybody like to join me?

Just played the back 9 at Forest Park for the first time at 6AM. Nice tight course. Surprisingly packed at 6AM. Had about 3 groups in front of mine and about 4 behind us.

Another city course, that I haven't played since college (Manhattan College 20yrs ago), I thought was pretty decent for NYC public was Van Cortland Park. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet lol. Being it's historical as the oldest public course.

Another city course, that I haven't played since college (Manhattan College 20yrs ago), I thought was pretty decent for NYC public was Van Cortland Park. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet lol. Being it's historical as the oldest public course.

I've also heard good things about VCP. Gonna have to give it a shot!

Would like to get course recommendations no more than maybe an hour drive from NYC. I've played the muni courses in Queens and Bethpage. Also potentially looking for fellow hackers to play with as my regular buddies I play with are all, more or less, newbies. Not that I mind, but I've never played with a group that's closer to my level so I'm curious to know how that would feel.

Bump for the upcoming NJSGA Member Golf Days: https://www.njsga.org/competitions/member-golf-days/

I'm debating signing up for The Ridge on 8/7 (Monday), but I would really like to play Forest Hill on 8/17 (Thursday). It's a 2-person team event with flighted team net Stableford scoring. The NJSGA and MGA days are a lot of fun and a great chance to play a course that you probably wouldn't get to play otherwise. Would anybody like to join me?

If you're around...

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...406-New-England-Fall-Golf-Outing-2017-Edition

Would like to get course recommendations no more than maybe an hour drive from NYC. I've played the muni courses in Queens and Bethpage. Also potentially looking for fellow hackers to play with as my regular buddies I play with are all, more or less, newbies. Not that I mind, but I've never played with a group that's closer to my level so I'm curious to know how that would feel.

I am in Bergen County northern NJ so I can tell you my neck of the woods...I assume you are talking public/semi not private. Within about 45 min of Bergen County:
River Vale Country Club
Bowling Green
Spook Rock
New York Country Club
Paramus Golf Course
Blue Hill Golf Course
Sunset Valley Golf Course
Meadows Golf Course
Rockland Lake Championship Course or Executive Par 3
Galloping Hill Golf Course

There are 5 Bergen County golf courses but rates are high if you don't have County card. They are pretty good for County courses though.

If you get down to Atlantic City (pretty cheap these days) try Ballamor. Just did it a few days ago and Course was great.

I am in Bergen County northern NJ so I can tell you my neck of the woods...I assume you are talking public/semi not private.

Pardon my ignorance on the subject as I've only played fully public courses, but what exactly is a semi-private course? I'm assuming there's some sort of membership involved? In that case, how is that any different from a fully public course? I've assumed, until just now, that there's only fully public or fully private courses.

Pardon my ignorance on the subject as I've only played fully public courses, but what exactly is a semi-private course? I'm assuming there's some sort of membership involved? In that case, how is that any different from a fully public course? I've assumed, until just now, that there's only fully public or fully private courses.

Semi-private courses are open to the public...but limited to certain days/hours. There's usually restrictions on reservations you can make as well, if you're not a member.

I've never had any issue getting a tee time on a semi-private course, although I'm generally not looking to play super early on the weekends.

Semi-private courses are open to the public...but limited to certain days/hours. There's usually restrictions on reservations you can make as well, if you're not a member.

I've never had any issue getting a tee time on a semi-private course, although I'm generally not looking to play super early on the weekends.

Thanks for the eye-opening info. So how can one tell if a course is semi-private or fully private? Can you guys name any semi-private ones around the area? Thanks again!

Thanks for the eye-opening info. So how can one tell if a course is semi-private or fully private? Can you guys name any semi-private ones around the area? Thanks again!

You'll know the difference! You won't have an option to book a tee time online at a private course. I really never make a distinction between muni/public and semi-private..if I can make a tee time without being a member, that's good enough for me!

I haven't played many of the courses that Syner listed above, but I know Blue Hill, River Vale, Bowling Green, Crystal Springs (and the other resort courses), and Royce Brook are semi-private (Royce Brook West is private in addition to the public East course). Meadows is an interesting course (very tight and there will be lots of shouts of Fore!). Sunset Valley and Galloping Hill are munis with discount cards to county residents so kinda semi-private in a sense. I'm a Union County resident so I've played Galloping Hill and Ash Brook a lot this year since I left my club at the end of last year.

You'll know the difference! You won't have an option to book a tee time online at a private course. I really never make a distinction between muni/public and semi-private..if I can make a tee time without being a member, that's good enough for me!

I haven't played many of the courses that Syner listed above, but I know Blue Hill, River Vale, Bowling Green, Crystal Springs (and the other resort courses), and Royce Brook are semi-private (Royce Brook West is private in addition to the public East course). Meadows is an interesting course (very tight and there will be lots of shouts of Fore!). Sunset Valley and Galloping Hill are munis with discount cards to county residents so kinda semi-private in a sense. I'm a Union County resident so I've played Galloping Hill and Ash Brook a lot this year since I left my club at the end of last year.

So then for a semi-private, does that mean they don't do walk ins? Basically reservation only?

For me semi at the most basic sense means it is open to the public but you can become a member if you so choose. For what we typically want (to play a single time) it will function in that respect. The perks of being a member vary at each place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For instance membership benefits at River Vale CC are:

Advanced Tee Time Booking
Reduced Guest Fees
Golf Lessons 10% Discount
Range Balls $4.00 per Bucket.
Discounted GHIN Handicap
Assigned Locker (Subject to Availability)
Walking Privileges: Members may walk at any time but are subject to pace of play expectations. Professional Staff reserves the right to revoke members walking privileges
5% Event Discount (Exclusive of Alcohol)
10% Discount at The Cherry Brook Bar and Restaurant- dine in only, does not include alcohol 10% Apparel Discount at Pro Shop
5% Discount for Members with 5 or more consecutive years of Membership
(5% Discount Applies to Individual and Family Memberships Only)

Other than that it's the same as a public place.

I'm in Bay Ridge, and most of the times we play an hour or so away from the city. Mostly on Long Island, such as Pine Ridge, Mill Pond, Spring Lake, Willow Creek, Stonebridge, Middle Island, Lido, Harbor Links and all of those are around an hour first thing in the morning by car. Good courses too. Just recently played Patriot Hills which is the Hudson Valley and then you have Mansion Ridge which is also near by and just over an hour from the city.

We also go off to NJ playing at Royce Brook East, Mattawang, Bunker Hill, Skyview, most of the Crystal Spring courses (Wild Turkey, Black Bear, Ballyowen), Beaver Brook and High Bridge Hills, most of those are again around and hour or a little more from the city early morning.

For instance membership benefits at River Vale CC are:

Advanced Tee Time Booking
Reduced Guest Fees
Golf Lessons 10% Discount
Range Balls $4.00 per Bucket.
Discounted GHIN Handicap
Assigned Locker (Subject to Availability)
Walking Privileges: Members may walk at any time but are subject to pace of play expectations. Professional Staff reserves the right to revoke members walking privileges
5% Event Discount (Exclusive of Alcohol)
10% Discount at The Cherry Brook Bar and Restaurant- dine in only, does not include alcohol 10% Apparel Discount at Pro Shop
5% Discount for Members with 5 or more consecutive years of Membership
(5% Discount Applies to Individual and Family Memberships Only)

Other than that it's the same as a public place.

Thanks for clearing that up. So now I know my limitations arent strictly to city or state municipal courses.

I'm in Bay Ridge, and most of the times we play an hour or so away from the city. Mostly on Long Island, such as Pine Ridge, Mill Pond, Spring Lake, Willow Creek, Stonebridge, Middle Island, Lido, Harbor Links and all of those are around an hour first thing in the morning by car. Good courses too. Just recently played Patriot Hills which is the Hudson Valley and then you have Mansion Ridge which is also near by and just over an hour from the city.

We also go off to NJ playing at Royce Brook East, Mattawang, Bunker Hill, Skyview, most of the Crystal Spring courses (Wild Turkey, Black Bear, Ballyowen), Beaver Brook and High Bridge Hills, most of those are again around and hour or a little more from the city early morning.

Sweet! Thanks for the recommendations. When I played in high school, our home course was Dyker.

I did Lido beach and I have never run into so many ducks in my life. There was hundreds of them. I had to skip a couple of balls because the gang would attack if i went anywhere near them lol.

Golfnow app is your friend. :)

Anyone been playing since the sudden drop in temps? I've been squeezing in 9 holes in the early AM hrs up until recently so the low temps are a huge factor for me (currently in the high 30's). I'd like to try but am afraid I'm gonna freeze my butt off. Any tips for a late fall/early winter golf virgin?

Back