NoShanks Journey to the 2019 Grandaddy

NoShanks

Grandaddy 19 Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi everyone! NoShanks here, the #10 winner to the greatest event of all time - The Grandaddy!

First, I'd like to thank THP, JB, GG, and Callaway for this amazing opportunity!

So I had some time to process what just happened and things started to calm down a tiny bit and figured it was a good opportunity to open up a bit and let you know who the heck NoShanks is so that come December, you won’t be like this:

My name is Eddie and I am just outside of Cleveland, Ohio. I am 34 years old. I am a UX/UI designer and I have been playing golf since I was around 3 years old. I shoot in the low/mid 70’s to high 70’s, and on a very bad day 80's.

How did I end up here? Well, a couple years ago, I was researching golf equipment reviews and trying to keep up with the trends in golf and THP kept coming up in the search and I’ve always enjoyed the reviews and insights from the members here. This forum was just different than the others. Everyone was super helpful and nice and easy to talk to. We all share the same passion and love for this game of golf.

I am also deaf. I was born normal hearing but lost my hearing to meningitis at age 2. I wear a hearing aid in my left ear and did not wear anything in my right for 30+ years until I recently got a cochlear implant last year in October. When I played golf for the first time of the year early spring, I could not believe how loud the golf course was. Birds chirping, crisp thwack from a solid contact of a driver, carts accelerating away over gravel, the sound of a duck hooked drive (not me, my playing partner) killing a branch 250 yards down, and golfers at a nearby hole yelling profanities from the results of their bad shots. So, that what golf sounds like? awesome!

I feel you can tell a lot about a golfer by looking at their swing and get an idea of what type of player they are. Below are a few videos of my swing. My 7 iron swing speed is usually in the comfortable 94-97 range and if I really go after it, it can go over 100. Driver SS is a little slower with a heavier shaft and driver head for stability and I hover around 114-118.

So, that's who I am! I plan to make continuous updates leading up to the Grandaddy. My goal is to engage you on my journey so I can be one of the guys you'd like to root for, or against (most of them would probably be my friends) and come Grandaddy, my goal is to visually tell the story of the whole experience that captures the emotions of what Grandaddy is all about.

So, sit back and hang on and enjoy the ride! Once October comes tomorrow, time will fly by fast!

To the ZooCrew:

Good stuff Eddie. Swing looks solid!

Excited to follow your journey and meet you in a few short months!

That is a great looking swing!!! Can't wait to meet you and tee it up sir.

love the thread eddie!!! when does your season shut down?

Another solid stick for the good guys!!

love the thread eddie!!! when does your season shut down?

Thanks, Cap!

I usually hang up the sticks around mid October. But Northeast Ohio weather can experience 4 season in the same week, so I try to take advantage of those warm opportunities over winter. My tolerance is mid to high 40's, as long as it is not windy.

However, with the Grandaddy, My season doesn't end. I plan to keep my game in shape by going to a couple ranges nearby over winter that offers heated bays.

Does Eddie's swing remind you of anyone? I see Rickie Fowler in it!

Good luck at the GD!

Great stuff, Eddie!

Does Eddie's swing remind you of anyone? I see Rickie Fowler in it!

Good luck at the GD!

Haha! That’s a first but I can definitely see the resemblance there!

Good stuff Eddie. I’m just down the road in
Green if you ever want to get out for a round. Excited to follow along with your journey.

That would be awesome! I'll definitely keep that in mind. It seems we have quite a bit of Ohio golfers in here.
There definitely are and several will get together on a drop of a dime.

Will be playing a round tomorrow morning. Trying to take advantage of what’s left of the warm weather!

Today’s round was windy and a cool mid 50s here.

Played little mountain country club.

Hi t some solid drives and and approach shots from 135-165 range.

Putting and chipping was off today. Made 2 birdies and shot 75. If putting and chipping was on point I think I would’ve shot more like 71-72.

Looking to go again next week while the weather is still somewhat warm.

I am planning to get back onto working out next week just to maintain my swing strength and flexibility leading up to the GD.

overall a productive golf day!

Attachments

• CD619589-CA2C-4FCF-87B5-4878F944AA42.jpeg
    CD619589-CA2C-4FCF-87B5-4878F944AA42.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 5
eddie is a PLAYA!!!

I played early last week for a quick 18. No one was out on the course which means I had the whole course to myself and was able to finish my round in around 2 hours.

Everything was on point that day, driver, irons, and putting despite the greens being punched. Finished 1 under with a 70 with 1 birdie and no bogies. Keep in mind the course is very short and wide open. I was only focusing on my driver and approach shots, which I hit nearly every green and everything fell in place.

The weather is still manageable to play here in northeast Ohio, so I might be about to squeeze out a few more rounds. I just started to get back into working out after a couple month break so I can maintain the flexibility and core strength leading up to the GD. I want to make sure I have my best dressed swing for the fitting at ECPC and not be cold and stiff. I will also be ramping up range sessions during November months to keep the swing fluid and sharp. The extra work and prep will be worth it for the fitting alone.

Have a busy week with work and life, so I might be able to play Thursday if the weather is nice.

With the addition of our final team member last week, and receiving a special PM to provide further details for the event, things are starting to get more real and the realization has started to set in that this is happening! It is already halfway through October and the GD is just around the corner!

Haven’t done much the past couple weeks due to the weather. Today will finally be a break with 47 degrees. Only have time to hit the range today and will plan to work on short game.

hope to have some updates swing videos to share later!

It’s always difficult to keep the golf game up in colder months but you’re doing great Eddie. It won’t be much longer anyways till we’re in ideal golf weather :)

Haven’t done much the past couple weeks due to the weather. Today will finally be a break with 47 degrees. Only have time to hit the range today and will plan to work on short game.

Quality over quantity dude. Get the reps in that make sense and trust your game.

Nice intro and nice to meet you Eddie.

I'm sure it was a real treat to hear all he sounds on a golf course for the first time, I'm sure it's something we take for granted and makes me want to listen a little closer during today's round.

Good luck on your prep for the GD! Great looking swing.

Had a great range session today to keep the swing sharp and fluid being 3 weeks out. Working hard on the short game and doing some iron work. Below are some updated videos of my swing at different angles. I made some slight tweaks to the swing to adjust the takeaway and slow it down just a bit. Feeling pretty good where I'm at. Will continue to keep at it on random warm days.

Lookin good there Eddie.

Swing looks great and you are steady Eddie so no worries. Other than the Zoo Crew, they should be worried about you.

Back