Not the slice again!

JasonWellman

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m new to this whole forum thing but here’s the lay down for my situation and maybe someone can help. I’ve been golfing seriously for about a year now, my scores are consistently getting lower and my swing is improving. However, just when I thought I was getting consistent, my drives begin to slice 8/10 again. It’s nothing violent, as it starts off straight on line with my target for about 150-160 yards and then slowly begins to veer right. Nothing I do is straightening the flight of the ball. I’m almost certain it’s an “out to in” swing path causing the issue but no drill or tip I’ve taken is working. Any input? Thanks

Hey everyone, I’m new to this whole forum thing but here’s the lay down for my situation and maybe someone can help. I’ve been golfing seriously for about a year now, my scores are consistently getting lower and my swing is improving. However, just when I thought I was getting consistent, my drives begin to slice 8/10 again. It’s nothing violent, as it starts off straight on line with my target for about 150-160 yards and then slowly begins to veer right. Nothing I do is straightening the flight of the ball. I’m almost certain it’s an “out to in” swing path causing the issue but no drill or tip I’ve taken is working. Any input? Thanks

Welcome to THP. I hope that you enjoy your time here. What you’re describing may be a fade, which is not necessarily bad.

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP. I hope that you enjoy your time here. What you’re describing may be a fade, which is not necessarily bad.

I thought it may be a fade also, I read some conflicting definitions on the differences between the two. I would like to see less curvature on the ball flight even still and just can’t seem to get it.

Welcome to THP! First thing I check when my fade starts slicing is ball position and grip. To far forward with the ball and to weak of a grip will cause a slice.

Welcome to THP! First thing I check when my fade starts slicing is ball position and grip. To far forward with the ball and to weak of a grip will cause a slice.

Thanks for the welcome!! My grip was the first thing I checked and altered. Didn’t think about the ball position however. I’ll have to check that out next for sure.

I suggest you find a local PGA instructor and have him/her help you with your technique.
If hiring a teaching pro is not practical for you then I suggest buying a copy of Jack Nicklaus instruction book titled "Golf My Way".

welcome
a lot of people play a fade, some tour players play a fade. your swing path back may be ok, your swing path forward may be a little inside.

Your ball will spin left or right no matter what. Trying to hit the ball "strait" is a misnomer. You need to hit the ball in the fairway and knowing your ball will move left to right 80% of the time as you described in the original post is just fine IMO. Often golfers that tey to hit it strait end up producing 2 way misses. I suggest the same thing as another poster check your grip and ball position, but also set up on the right side of the tee box and aim down the left of the fairway and let that baby fade right down into the fairway. Don't screw up a good thing.

Your ball will spin left or right no matter what. Trying to hit the ball "strait" is a misnomer. You need to hit the ball in the fairway and knowing your ball will move left to right 80% of the time as you described in the original post is just fine IMO. Often golfers that tey to hit it strait end up producing 2 way misses. I suggest the same thing as another poster check your grip and ball position, but also set up on the right side of the tee box and aim down the left of the fairway and let that baby fade right down into the fairway. Don't screw up a good thing.
Thanks for the encouraging, wise tip! That’s definitely a much simpler approach. It’s hard to view it that way when you’re so focused on fixing so many little things!

welcome
a lot of people play a fade, some tour players play a fade. your swing path back may be ok, your swing path forward may be a little inside.
I think it anything the issue would be on the down swing as well!

good luck i hope all the advice my fellow thpers gave you end up helping you

Welcome!

This happens to my friend pretty frequently. Usually, he has allowed his ball position to creep forward and his left (leading) shoulder to open up to the target line. I'll have him move the ball back an inch or two, get him to square his shoulders and this is usually all it takes to get him back on track.

Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference (ball position, alignment, grip, tempo, etc...) and working on those before making a difficult swing change should be the first priority. Good luck!

Welcome!

This happens to my friend pretty frequently. Usually, he has allowed his ball position to creep forward and his left (leading) shoulder to open up to the target line. I'll have him move the ball back an inch or two, get him to square his shoulders and this is usually all it takes to get him back on track.

Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference (ball position, alignment, grip, tempo, etc...) and working on those before making a difficult swing change should be the first priority. Good luck!
Great advice, I needed that! This is what most people seem to be pointing me to, so those small changes are most definitely my next move! Thank you!

I don't slice much anymore, do fade sometimes, but anytime my grip gets weak that is usually my culprit. Sometimes though I get my right arm a bit out from being close to my body and that can do it. My driving game has been one of my greatest improvements this year. I really focused on getting that together.

What is your 'swing thought"? I started playing seriously about 3 years ago and went from slice. to fade, to straight, to now a small draw. I tried a bunch of drills and the one that finally worked for me was using the line I draw on the ball for putting. Ain that at my target, try to hit the "inside" of that line and make my follow through to the "outside" of that line and then my only other though is 'finish". The rolling of the wrists on the finish and the draw part came together nicely but the push part of the push draw can still elude me at times. I think I made this more confusing than it is.....just put your ball on the tee w/ your mark on it like I said and you will see what I mean.

What is your 'swing thought"? I started playing seriously about 3 years ago and went from slice. to fade, to straight, to now a small draw. I tried a bunch of drills and the one that finally worked for me was using the line I draw on the ball for putting. Ain that at my target, try to hit the "inside" of that line and make my follow through to the "outside" of that line and then my only other though is 'finish". The rolling of the wrists on the finish and the draw part came together nicely but the push part of the push draw can still elude me at times. I think I made this more confusing than it is.....just put your ball on the tee w/ your mark on it like I said and you will see what I mean.
This sounds like it would create a good “in to out” swing path. Which is hard for me to do well do at the moment lol

now if I could only do it when hitting a fairway wood!!!

This sounds like it would create a good “in to out” swing path. Which is hard for me to do well do at the moment lol
stay with it.....I used to pick the club up (rather than starting the takeaway w/ shoulders) and then create a out to in swing that either sliced the ball or caused a rocket pull. It was by far the hardest part of my getting better to fix. I can still do it on a
occasion if my tempo gets fast but all in all my driving is the most improved part of my game. As I said, I just cant seem to do it w/ a fariway wood or very strong lofted hybrid.

I saw a guy on youtube take one of those orange swing trainer things and practice swinging about ten reps each of in to out and out to in over and over to get control on his driver. Looked kind of strange watching it, but you could tell it would work because he was learning both paths and getting them into memory.

Welcome to THP.

Check your alignment.
Check your grip.
Check your ball position.
Check your spine angle.
Check how close you are to the ball.

Check into lessons.

Back