Now i have seen it all.

Dazpom

Reaction score
I just watched a women with, well , not a very good swing, become a very straight hitter.

She was at a fitting session with, i wont mention the makers name in case they try to sign me up as a contract player lol. She hit the ball everywhere but in the fairway. The fitter made up so many variations of the clubs that eventually, she was hitting the ball straight, the swing was still crap, but she hit the ball straight. Perhaps this may help get people into playing the game.

My question is this, is it better to have a good swing, one that repeats and doesnt relay on the clubs, or is it better to throw out the swing and just let a machine decide how we hit the ball. Let me say this, as this is just me, i would rather have a good repeating swing, rather letting a machine decide for me.

Let me say this, as this is just me, i would rather have a good repeating swing, rather letting a machine decide for me.
I prefer a decent repeatable swing, but I am old school that way. We always believed in good practice ethics or at least working at what was needed.

I remember when I was a young boy learning baseball. I used to go out on the hill near the feed barn and take tobacco sticks and hit gravels for hours to the point where I did not miss. I chewed up many tobacco sticks hitting those gravels LOL Now I was never a big time hitter when playing little league, but it would darn hard to strike me out and I would usually get on base and I could place hit big time.

Does it matter if she goes and enjoys the game more now? I would say the same for anyone, some want the swing, some just want fun, there is no wrong answer.

Be careful though, there's a crowd around that believes its always 100% the Indian, and never the Arrow. :p

A repeatable swing doesn't have to be good to be highly effective.

I just watched a women with, well , not a very good swing, become a very straight hitter.

She was at a fitting session with, i wont mention the makers name in case they try to sign me up as a contract player lol. She hit the ball everywhere but in the fairway. The fitter made up so many variations of the clubs that eventually, she was hitting the ball straight, the swing was still crap, but she hit the ball straight. Perhaps this may help get people into playing the game.

My question is this, is it better to have a good swing, one that repeats and doesnt relay on the clubs, or is it better to throw out the swing and just let a machine decide how we hit the ball. Let me say this, as this is just me, i would rather have a good repeating swing, rather letting a machine decide for me.
There's no club that will swing itself for you. I'm sure she'd probably would love to have a repeatable swing too. But, it takes a lot more time to groove that. In the meantime, you may as well get clubs that fit your current swing. I don't think anyone is actually having to make an choice between the two.

Individual decision, I guess.

I've loved the pursuit of a good swing but now at 52 and compromised, I sure as heck don't mind that technology shoulders some of the burden.

Same for others. I have a friend who's a good player but one who I'll routinely beat by at least a few strokes. Our caps may indicate that result more often than not, but it happening all the time is really just a mental issue for him.

If he got fit and new equipment improved his scoring even to the point where it turned the tables on me and he was the one winning all of the time, I'd be all for it. His improvement, I mean, not my losing!

Unless someone is using the absolute, most difficult equipment to hit, I really can't put much into their disagreement with technology applying a bandaid for a less than stellar swing.

Unless someone is playing sticks from say, Hogan's era, we're all benefiting by tech masking our flaws from one degree to another. Sliding scale, is all.

Ask Matt Wolfe or Jim Furyk if they'd rather have a textbook pretty swing or one that is repeatable. Bottom line to me is nobody is perfect and everyone can use a fitting to help!

I will always take anything the tech can give me, there is no way I can hit enough balls to correct the swing I have nor the body left to sustain such work. If the fitter can make you better take it and run.
You young guys or even the old guys here that have a real swing be happy you had time to get it established (older folks) and still have potential to improve it (young folks).

I prefer a decent repeatable swing, but I am old school that way. We always believed in good practice ethics or at least working at what was needed.

I remember when I was a young boy learning baseball. I used to go out on the hill near the feed barn and take tobacco sticks and hit gravels for hours to the point where I did not miss. I chewed up many tobacco sticks hitting those gravels LOL Now I was never a big time hitter when playing little league, but it would darn hard to strike me out and I would usually get on base and I could place hit big time.

Mat im an Aussie, and sorry to say, i have no idea what some of the things you said, are, but i understand the principle of good practice.

i want the best of both a good swing and the ball to go strait but i'm picky so that's that

I would think we would all want a repeatable swing but it is what it is. If they made it work that is what matters.

Actually, it sounds to me that she did have a repeatable swing.........and subsequently a driver that fit it. ?‍♂️

As long as you have fun and have equipment that works for you, go for it!

Mat im an Aussie, and sorry to say, i have no idea what some of the things you said, are, but i understand the principle of good practice.
Sorry about that. I simply tend to think everyone can understand me. You summed it up well though.

it was just awful to look at i guess

Actually, it sounds to me that she did have a repeatable swing.........and subsequently a driver that fit it. ?‍♂️

I was thinking the same thing, but the "hit the ball everywhere but in the fairway" comment throws me off. Makes me think she had a two way miss and that'd be hard to solve mask with equipment, I think.

I was thinking the same thing, but the "hit the ball everywhere but in the fairway" comment throws me off. Makes me think she had a two way miss and that'd be hard to solve mask with equipment, I think.

I kid you not, when they finished with her she was hitting the ball perfect, swing was still crap, but the clubmaker gave her a set to compensate.

My thoughts exactly. However it looks, it seems to be repeating or she couldn’t hit it straight no matter the club. Teacher just got her into the correct head, length, lie and shaft flex to get the most out of her swing.

I saw a few videos on youtube some time back and this guy would take his students and they were all over the map with swings. Within an hour he would have them hitting the ball with their eyes closed. What is amazing is that most, if not all of them could do it and not half bad at all.

I have done this at home in my net and I am amazed at how my mind and body simply know what to do. Ha, it is kind of funny that when I open my eyes and engage my brain bad things happen! :ROFLMAO:

I'm just impressed that the fitter is that good. I need his/her contact info. ;) (No, seriously)

Does it matter if she goes and enjoys the game more now? I would say the same for anyone, some want the swing, some just want fun, there is no wrong answer.

Be careful though, there's a crowd around that believes its always 100% the Indian, and never the Arrow. :p
It's always the arrow for me, how else can I convince my wife that I need new clubs ;)

Getting fit for your type of swing is the best way to go. If your swing is consistent, they’ll get you dialed in. My swing makes Jim Furyk’s look textbook.

I will say this, most golfers have a consistent/repeatable swing. Now whether it’s a good swing or a bad one is up for debate. I know plenty of people (myself included) with very underpins swings but use it because it’s repeatable. Once you learn tendencies and have help in the equipment area through a fitting to make those tendencies work for you, then you can start to progress. Whether that’s better scoring, having more fun, both or anything else is up to the player and their goals.

Getting fit for your type of swing is the best way to go. If your swing is consistent, they’ll get you dialed in. My swing makes Jim Furyk’s look textbook.

But if you cant swing for poo, how does this help.

I have to have a repeatable swing, but as @Jman said, if she is just out to have fun once in a while, good on her

Back