Now McIlroy Dumps The Players

Good, PGA should come out with this announcement today, "All US hosted Ryder Cups until Rory's past his prime will be held at The Player's Championship Course" :devil:

C'mon, nobody thought this was funny?!? :D

I have that problem here all the time...

Seriously dude, if it's such a big problem then don't participate. Tons of people can have disagreements and tons of us have, but we all move on from it. You just can't let things die. We all don't have the same sense of humour but one thing that is common, most don't like a martyr. So just stop.

Believe it or not, Angry Hawk just doesn't care about whether these guys are here for the Players. It's the TOUR's event and they aren't members. I will still watch and it won't be any different than last year.

I've been wondering why/where this thread was all day. Funny how when it's Lee Westwood, it's a hot topic. Goes to show that some people simply just don't like Lee, yet Rory gets a little time off.

Watching the Morning Drive, Alex Micelli was discussing this topic and from what I took from it, was that Tim Finchem has a lot more to do with this than the players actually trying to stick it to the PGA Tour. Apparantly, Lee Westwood likes to play the week before an event of this magnitude and Finchem won't let him play the week before the Players so he opted out. Rory says he's sitting out b/c he honestly doesn't like the layout of the course for his game and he feels like he can't compete there. Both of those seem like valid reasons to me.

Just saw that segment on my DVR (it's starting to snow like the bejeesus here again so I left the office to "work" at home), and I have to agree that maybe the top 20 (not top 50) should be allowed to set their own schedule on EITHER Tour. You want to play in Bahrain this week and then next week come on over here and be taunted at the 16th at Phoenix, then fine. I don't think that Rory has anything going on except he just doesn't like the course and hey, if he doesn't want to play it, then so be it. Now, Jeff Rude had a point, he's only played it twice and one of those times he probably wasn't all himself (he celebrated his 21st birthday at TPC Sawgrass last year) so maybe before he says he'll never play it because he doesn't like his lines off the tees, maybe he ought to get to know the course a bit better. But I don't think Rory not playing the Players is really that big of a deal. He announced it last year and all this is probably more the press trying to cause some controversy.

The OP points to an opinion that perhaps the Euro's could be trying to load the ranking points towards Euro tour events. Could you imagine that? The US guys having to travel to the other side of the world to compete on unfamiliar courses to make the big bucks and work their way up the rankings......hold on - hasn't that been happening the other way around for so long? Why shouldn't it be our turn for a change? :wink:

You and your sense....

Lol. You know even when I disagree with you it's really hard to disagree with you. I don't know if it's I can't disagree with a man who admits their love for skinny jeans or if it's because you most likely have a kick @ss accent. I'm not sure yet.

One thing I will say though, either way should be a fun and entertaining season. Looking forward to the tweets to come.

The OP points to an opinion that perhaps the Euro's could be trying to load the ranking points towards Euro tour events. Could you imagine that? The US guys having to travel to the other side of the world to compete on unfamiliar courses to make the big bucks and work their way up the rankings......hold on - hasn't that been happening the other way around for so long? Why shouldn't it be our turn for a change? :wink:

I think that guys who are ranked in the top 20 in the world should have a choice. It's an easy fix and it's something that many venues could benefit from.

So you would make an "elite card" for players in the top 20 and they would be welcome at any event they wanted? No Min/Max requirements on tournaments?
I like the idea, just making sure I understand what you mean.

I remember Lee Trevino sitting out the Masters a few times because the course did not fit his game. You need the draw and Lee hit that fade. It was controversial at the time, but I still think the world of Trevino. Lee W & Rory may have no ulterior motives, only they know.

Because we successfully defeated the British way back when so that we could do our own thing: build our huge houses, drive our huge vehicles, invent our own sports, spell our words differently, put ice and sugar in our tea, and we've certainly earned the right to keep the cream of the crop on our golf courses.

I kid of course, but I actually think your post is quite smart and could have some weight to it.

So you would make an "elite card" for players in the top 20 and they would be welcome at any event they wanted? No Min/Max requirements on tournaments?
I like the idea, just making sure I understand what you mean.

I think they should have a min requirement but other than that, yup, give them a free pass. Sponsors would lure them in for the Tour. It would be a win/win scenario. And if one wants to argue, what about the guys who are in the 125-155 on the money list, well, it's not like they draw the crowds or the sponsors anyway.

Because we successfully defeated the British way back when so that we could do our own thing: build our huge houses, drive our huge vehicles, invent our own sports, spell our words differently, put ice and sugar in our tea, and we've certainly earned the right to keep the cream of the crop on our golf courses.

I kid of course, but I actually think your post is quite smart and could have some weight to it.

Don't feed the Euro's...

I think they should have a min requirement but other than that, yup, give them a free pass. Sponsors would lure them in for the Tour. It would be a win/win scenario. And if one wants to argue, what about the guys who are in the 125-155 on the money list, well, it's not like they draw the crowds or the sponsors anyway.

My only concern would be that the Euro tour allows for appearance fee's and the PGA does not. Given the right circumstance the PGA could loose a lot of big players to corporate money. Theoretically it could be happening now, but it doesn't... so I am not sure it is a major concern at the moment, but really could be in the future.

He did hint at this quite awhile ago. If RM doesn't feel he'd compete at Sawgrass, I believe him. He is a young player and will want to play it soon enough. Westwood seems to be the one who can't make up his mind. He won't play cause he also wants to play the week before and that would exceed the 10 events allowed a euro player. Am I reading this right? I thought he made a big deal about playing the euro but he wants 11 events here too. No big deal to me, but it's kinda like when you throw a party and someone wants to make a big deal of whether they are going to attend or not. I hope Rory changes his mind, lw can stay in the car though.

My only concern would be that the Euro tour allows for appearance fee's and the PGA does not. Given the right circumstance the PGA could loose a lot of big players to corporate money. Theoretically it could be happening now, but it doesn't... so I am not sure it is a major concern at the moment, but really could be in the future.

good point dude, and it probably will be something that comes into play.

I lol'd
Great post.

I like the idea that the top x number of players in the world get to make their own schedule, as such. Play as many or as few a tournaments as they wanted.
I realise that the whole "you must play x events this year to retain membership" and the "you're not a member, so you're limited to x events this year" thing stems from each tour's desire to protect it's own interests, but I think when you talk of top players missing the so-called "fifth major"(an entirely subjective title, btw. I don't regard it as such, and I am sure that there are many others in the same boat) this protective attitude winds up actually hurting the events, imho.

Let the Euros play where & when they choose. It's all good and when they choose not to play a PGA event, it opens up more spots for the locals. There are some really good players who are anxious for this opportunity. I'm going to watch it even if JB, TC, & P4B all sign up as replacement players :D......

For clairty's sake I'd just like to say that I didn't say they shouldn't or that it was wrong of them, just that I wondered if they might be doing it intentionally to gain some leverage/control of the rankings. Lee and Rory's manager said last night (paraphrased) - "the guys don't care about the money at a particular event, they care about the WGR". So if that's their focus and yet they're not playing what would otherwise be a top 10 event for the year from a strength of field standpoint... Well, I think it has to make you wonder.

p.s. I still think it'd be funny if the PGA announced that course as the next Ryder Cup host - even if you're all ignoring me :D

What if they just decided that the US tour was only open to US tour players. Let the Euro's play the Euro tour and the Majors if they qualify. There are plenty of great players here that want to play here. Isn't this why we have the Ryder anyway?

3 majors in the us and 1 elsewhere? that aint fair.
What if they just decided that the US tour was only open to US tour players. Let the Euro's play the Euro tour and the Majors if they qualify. There are plenty of great players here that want to play here. Isn't this why we have the Ryder anyway?

plus your shutting out australasia, africa, south america.

. Lee and Rory's manager said last night (paraphrased) - "the guys don't care about the money at a particular event, they care about the WGR".
What do both RM an westwood have the same manager?

Are you saying only american citizens could play the US PGA Tour? I just want to make sure I understand. I have to admit, I would absolutely hate this idea. Many of my favorite players are originally outside the US. Plus, it would get strangely political (even more than it is now) when you start basing tour membership on citizenship.

:laughing:

Are you saying only american citizens could play the US PGA Tour? I just want to make sure I understand. I have to admit, I would absolutely hate this idea. Many of my favorite players are originally outside the US. Plus, it would get strangely political (even more than it is now) when you start basing tour membership on citizenship.
Never said anything of the sort. "US tour players" just like it is now. Players who have qualified and sign to play in the US tour. Nothing to do with citizenship.

Back