Now McIlroy Dumps The Players

Flooder

Reaction score
Handicap
I really thought I'd come in here this morning and find a huge debate going on about this. I'm stunned to find no thread at all on the subject, so here it is.

He's announced he's out. Saw an interview with his (and Westwood's manager) last night on GC and he was providing a number of reasons about scheduling, etc. Some of them made some sense, some didn't to me.

***WARNING OPINION TO FOLLOW***

It's my personal belief that on some level this is a power play by the Euros. Either they're trying to jam up the PGA because they don't like that they have to pick a tour and can't just bounce back and forth as they please. Or (and this is very conspiratorial of me) they're angling to manipulate world golf rankings by warping strength of field in the Euros favor.

I know those two theories will be incredibly controversial and some will vehemently disagree, so let me just add, I have no basis for this other than it's my feeling/opinion. I like Rory and like watching him play. But, I think something IS going on here. You don't skip the "fifth major" and if you do, you don't make a special point to announce it 4 months out AND 1 week after your mate AND the week of Tiger's return. That is TEXTBOOK press cycle manipulation.

You're probably not far off, 6 of the top 10 in the WR are euro's so why not throw a little weight around?

Rory was sincere on twitter. He never has felt comfortable on that golf course, and has never made the cut resulting of those feelings. McIlroy and Westwood are best friends, expect them to follow each other. If I was on tour, Id do the same thing. It would definitely make it all way more fun playing in the same events as my best friend.

I know it should but it doesn't bother me if he isn't there. I don't know why he really isn't going, but I could care less. I'm gonna see great golf with/without him. I mean, it definitely sounds like he wanted to make it known. That much is obvious.

They are both Euro's, why wouldn't they choose to play their tour instead of events here in the states? Being in the World Top Ten doesn't require you to play US events

Rory was sincere on twitter. He never has felt comfortable on that golf course, and has never made the cut resulting of those feelings. McIlroy and Westwood are best friends, expect them to follow each other. If I was on tour, Id do the same thing. It would definitely make it all way more fun playing in the same events as my best friend.

Good, PGA should come out with this announcement today, "All US hosted Ryder Cups until Rory's past his prime will be held at The Player's Championship Course" :devil:

There was a good interview yesterday on Golf Channel with Chubby Chandler the manager for both Rory and Lee, and he made some very good points. The Euro tour is every bit as strong as the PGA of America and these guys don't NEED to play in the USA to make money anymore. The two PGA tours are not strong enough as professional sports to fighting with each other and they need to start working together to make both tours stronger and golf in general. If you are a top say 50 player in the world golf rankings you should be able to play in any event you want, not just 10 a year on the PGA tour. The other good point chubby made was the Euro tour has there version to the Players where the top 50 in the world are exempt and none of the American's come over and play in that.

I've been wondering why/where this thread was all day. Funny how when it's Lee Westwood, it's a hot topic. Goes to show that some people simply just don't like Lee, yet Rory gets a little time off.

Watching the Morning Drive, Alex Micelli was discussing this topic and from what I took from it, was that Tim Finchem has a lot more to do with this than the players actually trying to stick it to the PGA Tour. Apparantly, Lee Westwood likes to play the week before an event of this magnitude and Finchem won't let him play the week before the Players so he opted out. Rory says he's sitting out b/c he honestly doesn't like the layout of the course for his game and he feels like he can't compete there. Both of those seem like valid reasons to me.

This kind of shows me that Rory is not as good a golfer as has been thought. I know that he has a schedule but if he doesn't like playing the Players because he doesn't do well on that course, then become a better golfer and play better on that course. I remember that Padraig Harrington said that the way that the courses set up in the US compared to in Europe, it makes it very hard for Euros to transfer over. Rory can do anything he wants, but is he has a little Jay Cutler in him. Quit when it gets difficult.

I've been wondering why/where this thread was all day. Funny how when it's Lee Westwood, it's a hot topic. Goes to show that some people simply just don't like Lee, yet Rory gets a little time off.

Watching the Morning Drive, Alex Micelli was discussing this topic and from what I took from it, was that Tim Finchem has a lot more to do with this than the players actually trying to stick it to the PGA Tour. Apparantly, Lee Westwood likes to play the week before an event of this magnitude and Finchem won't let him play the week before the Players so he opted out. Rory says he's sitting out b/c he honestly doesn't like the layout of the course for his game and he feels like he can't compete there. Both of those seem like valid reasons to me.

Agreed, I for one aren't mad at them and believe this is more the fault of Tim Finchem and the rules of the PGA tour.

Still not a big deal to me. These guys are Europeans. If they don't want to play the US tour, than so be it. I tend to follow those that want to be here and play here. No big deal.

I think those are valid reasons too. However, don't you think it's fishy that he announces 4 months out - something players rarely do; he waits til a week after Lee - a typical tactic of making the most of something from a press standpoint; and he happens to announce the week Tiger's coming back? The first two especially reek of "trying to make a statement".

I'm not disputing that they're entitled to do whatever they want. I'm not upset with them either. But I think it would be naive to say they're just managing their schedules and there are no other motives involved.

A lot of players will pick events based on how it fits their strengths, so I dont see anything wrong with what Rory said. I still don't care really because I'm going to see good golf regardless. Maybe I should rephrase... It doesn't bother me. I'd like to see those guys but I'm not sad.

I think those are valid reasons too. However, don't you think it's fishy that he announces 4 months out - something players rarely do; he waits til a week after Lee - a typical tactic of making the most of something from a press standpoint; and he happens to announce the week Tiger's coming back? The first two especially reek of "trying to make a statement".

I'm not disputing that they're entitled to do whatever they want. I'm not upset with them either. But I think it would be naive to say they're just managing their schedules and there are no other motives involved.

There very well could be other motives but one thing that was pointed out on the show was that Rory actually had made this decision a while ago, and that Lee Westwood's decision came about later once he learned he couldn't play the week before.

Question.....

What would happen if it wasn't the WGR? What if they just ranked based by tour? Could that be a possibility? I guess I don't see the issue anymore. There was a time (even a few weeks ago lol) that I would've had more of an opinion but it doesn't seem like either tour wants to work together. Which honestly, probably brings more attention to golf. The subtle jabs and no so subtle jabs really make for an interesting debate.

Yeah, I would bail on an event too if I couldnt make cuts there. Thats why I dont play certain golf courses around here, because they dont fit my game, and Im not good enough to adapt to them. I cant break 80. Plus thats where college tryouts were and my god I played effing terrible there.
There very well could be other motives but one thing that was pointed out on the show was that Rory actually had made this decision a while ago, and that Lee Westwood's decision came about later once he learned he couldn't play the week before.

it's not that big a deal to me. We are still going to see world class golf. Part of me can't blame them. It has to be hard being away from home for as long as these guys are. They are just supporting the tour that they are members of. It's not like they won't be playing in the US at all. It's just one tournament.

Yeah, I would bail on an event too if I couldnt make cuts there. Thats why I dont play certain golf courses around here, because they dont fit my game, and Im not good enough to adapt to them. I cant break 80. Plus thats where college tryouts were and my god I played effing terrible there.

and we all have courses that just don't fit our game or our natural ball flights or whatever. Could these guys be doing this for other reasons? Sure. However, could the media and folks like us be digging for stuff that isn't there? Sure.

It's hard to say.

Yeah I just think at some point, the pro golfers need to play courses even if they don't fit. But the rules allow them to pick so to me, they're doing what they need to do to protect their spot. Which is funny because I like having a WGR but other times it just seems so ridiculous.

and we all have courses that just don't fit our game or our natural ball flights or whatever. Could these guys be doing this for other reasons? Sure. However, could the media and folks like us be digging for stuff that isn't there? Sure.

It's hard to say.

Yeah I just think at some point, the pro golfers need to play courses even if they don't fit. But the rules allow them to pick so to me, they're doing what they need to do to protect their spot. Which is funny because I like having a WGR but other times it just seems so ridiculous.

But is it wrong for guys to show up at events they have always done well at? its a double edged sword.

Well right now, I think so. Whether I agree or not is a whole other argument. I guess my thing is, can't really say "if the rules were different" because right now they aren't. I wish it'd change but it probably wont. Boy do I sound wishy washy for not trying too haha.

But is it wrong for guys to show up at events they have always done well at? its a double edged sword.

I think that guys who are ranked in the top 20 in the world should have a choice. It's an easy fix and it's something that many venues could benefit from.

JDeller-SittingOnTheFenceIsStrictlyProhibitied.jpg
Well right now, I think so. Whether I agree or not is a whole other argument. I guess my thing is, can't really say "if the rules were different" because right now they aren't. I wish it'd change but it probably wont. Boy do I sound wishy washy for not trying too haha.

I would just love to see these top 20 guys do work in a venue that didn't suit them. Because I honestly believe they could still end up killing it. Just be cool to see how they do, you know?

I think that guys who are ranked in the top 20 in the world should have a choice. It's an easy fix and it's something that many venues could benefit from.

Lol. That was a good one.

Back