NYC guy shooting for par

Welcome to THP!

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Thank you! I am a jets fan but must admit I am very jealous of you being a pats fan. It must be awesome ��

Welcome to THP! In addition to what others have said, I'd just add that you shouldn't get too discouraged if things seem to be going well and then take a sudden, inexplicable turn for the worse. It's a fickle game and it's entirely normal to feel like everything is coming together one day only to have it seem never further away the next.

Thanks! I will attempt to be mentally strong throughout this endeavor. I mentioned I have lots of experience playing poker. Poker is a very tough game on your confidence so I am hoping that will help me with golf. You can be on top of the world playing great, winning money, making all the rights moves then just as fast you can be down tons of money doubting your abilities feeling like a failure. I suspect golf will share some of that variance. what poker has taught me is consistency and discipline are paramount. Just make the right play as much as possible . Don't let a bad hand ruin your confidence. In golf I will attempt to forget the bad shots and focus on improvement and consistency.

Welcome to THP! Sounds like your off to a good start. Have fun and it will come much faster. Set small goals, meet them and set another. I always says it’s a dang easy game! Hit the fairway, Hit the Green, then 2 Putt! Boom you got a par

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like this advice but I will be one putting sir!!! ������

Welcome to THP, I love the lofty goal, but like other said, maybe breaking them into smaller ones would be easier, break 100, 90, 85, etc.

On the netflix/youtube lessons, they are nice, but make sure they don't overload you with information, you do not want to work on more that one or two things at a time when you practice.

You seem to have some of the habilities required to be a good golfer, I'll be following along with your progess.

a good swing and short game will help you to lower scores, but decision making is the key, read up on course management and you'll see your scores go down faster.

where are you swingwise right now? making contact consistently? struggling with a certain ball flight?

Welcome to THP! My only advice, enjoy the chase!

Thank you!. Yea the idea is to set a goal and enjoy putting in the work to acheive it. I plan to end this summer/season a relatively good golfer. Hoping for that one round where everything falls right and I defy the odds and shoot par.

Welcome to THP, I love the lofty goal, but like other said, maybe breaking them into smaller ones would be easier, break 100, 90, 85, etc.

I agree this is more practical but break 100 is nothig special. After my first and only outting I genuinely think if I have a good day 100 is in reach.

On the netflix/youtube lessons, they are nice, but make sure they don't overload you with information, you do not want to work on more that one or two things at a time when you practice.

Agree. At this point I don't know where to start. I have to play more and hit balls more to see where I need improvements the most.

You seem to have some of the habilities required to be a good golfer, I'll be following along with your progess.

Thanks man. I think I have more natural ability than most but I'm not some gifted athlete. I think my ability to intelligently address issues will be my biggest advantage. I think I'm rather smart and think about things differently than most.

a good swing and short game will help you to lower scores, but decision making is the key, read up on course management and you'll see your scores go down faster.

I will definitely look into this. Thanks! As I don't have much experience I agree any mental advantage will be very important to me accepting the goal. So any time I can gain strokes just by being smart/tactical is a major plus.

where are you swingwise right now? making contact consistently? struggling with a certain ball flight?

Truthfully I don't think I have hut enough golf balls to answer this accurately. When I went to range after my first outting I hit 200 balls with a 6 iron. By my last 50 balls I was hitting them sky high and I'd say 60% were decent 20% poor and 20% completely terrible. I'd say on my first golf round I made good contact only about 40% of time.e. was fine with contact using driver but irons I had trouble figuring out where to aim so that I didn't hit top of ball with bottom of club. My mind kept telling me I was going to hit the ground and my friend said I have to hit the ground usually to get solid contact. That's why I only used iron when I went to range. Since I can't see my own swing(will have someone record one or two next outting I am not sure of my swing. The one friend who is a more experience and better player of the two said my swing looks very good especially bc it was my first time. But he is not a coach so who knows.

Thanks for taking time to post in my thread! Sorry meant to bold my answers but clearly didn't do it right. I answered in the quote under each of your questions.

Welcome to thp

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Ok back to my goal. I want to score a par this season.

I have zero doubt you'll achieve that goal. Hell, I probably scored a birdie my first full season. Can't remember when I got my first eagle, but I know it was a long time after the first birdie.

Good luck, keep at it, keep practicing, and you'll achieve your goal(s)!

I have zero doubt you'll achieve that goal. Hell, I probably scored a birdie my first full season. Can't remember when I got my first eagle, but I know it was a long time after the first birdie.

Good luck, keep at it, keep practicing, and you'll achieve your goal(s)!

Thanks! You aren't first person to misinterpret my thread title but I am actually hoping to acheive par for a round. I should probably edit the title lol. I had a couple par attempts in first round but missed pretty makeable putts. The way I hit the ball first time out I just feel likes it's possible for me to improve and shoot a full round of par. I am not delusional and understand this is unlikely and I'm most likely completely overestimated my chances but I really want to acheive this goal. I will be putting in a lot of practice. I get all of my stuff tomorrow in mail so I can start practicing at home :)

Came home earlier to see my putting mat had arrived ahead of schedule. It is like a carpet that has foam padding under the far side to elevate the holes a bit. So balls are able to fall in the hole. Got it on Amazon for $30. Price was up to 32 when I checked earlier today though. Quality seems good for price. Unrolled it and it laid flat. Used it in common area in my building. I immediately noticed when I consciously kept my shoulders back I had much better accuracy. I hit about 200 putts. 8 balls at a time. Had two instances where I made all 8 balls in holes I aimed. The mat is listed at 9 feet long. I was hitting from about 10 inches into the mat and holes are a foot or so in front back so I am guesstimating like 7 feetish. I had no real "feel" for the club. By that I mean it felt unfluid(not a word but it's ok). I definitely got a handle on speed after 16 putts. Maybe overshot the holes about one of 6-8. Rest was either just short or to the side. Anyways, will practice more tomorrow. How many putts should I do a day? They aren't exhausting but wondering if too many is bad? Also this is completely flat and repetitive so I am aware that this isnt going to transfer exactly to real greens with speed differences and hills etc.
I convinced my buddy to head to course an hour early Friday so I could putt some balls on the practice green and maybe try out chipping. I didn't chip first day. I opted for putter as I had no clue how to chip.

moVKhwg.jpg

Last edited:
So I went to play yesterday. I wrote a lengthy post but decided to condense into new post to make it easier to read.

I scored 105. I did rehit one drive that the I topped so 107 i guess ��.

Biggest takeway all day was that I started placing ball further up in my stance for driver and ball further back in stance for irons. Helped big time. I started to actually get lofty iron shots here and there. Had a few drives that were dead straight. I have been driving in the 220-240 range I think.

Have plans to go this week 1 ot 2 times depending on weather. Will also be trying to use net on roof. About that...

Does anyone know if it's possible/likely to completely miss net? Do not want to break any neoghbor windows or hit someone haha.

Last edited:
Forecast today wasn't great. Partners bailed. It's 4pm so I am headed to a new course to play my first solo round. Hope to play tomorrow . Reasonable goal is 100 no Mulligan's or redrops. Optimistic is 95 ��...

Well my solo round last week was horrendous. Lost scorecard around 4th hole but was already like 8 over haha. Couple guys were kind enough to invite me to play with them behind a slow foursome. They were good. Told my drive was really good. I had better drive than both of them at least 5 of the holes we played together.

I learned that for iron shots I should be hitting ball on descent arc. Which makes sense that when I placed back in stance it got better but was still bad. I learned this from YouTube videos.

So I am ok at driving so far. I don't drive long but straighter than the most people I've played with. That's prob because I understood inherently that I should contact ball just after the bottom of my swing to get lift/distance. I was using same swing for irons. Obviously my iron game is beyond bad. I go Thursday to play at "home" course. Going early to try and hit some irons to get some idea how to hit down in the arc to pop ball off club face upward . Putting was still bad this past round but slightly better. I'd say I'm a 2/10 putter ��

Back