Oakley Sunglasses

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
There isn't really a dedicated thread but I'm interested in hearing some thoughts. I've owned a variety of brands, but more recently have been just wearing a cheaper pair of Tifosi's that seem to do the trick.

For those who wear the more active Oakley sunglasses, what do you like about them? What makes them stand out above the rest, and are they worth the price?

Also, show us what you've got.

I have had the Tifosi Tyrant glasses in the past and I'm currently using Oakley Radar Lock. So here's my thoughts. They are equally comfortable. If your going Oakley get a pair with polarized or Prizm lenses or even the G30 lens and if you can find them for around 200 it's worth it. If you get a pair of Oakley's and just get a regular lens stick with the Tifosi imo.

I'll post a few pics soon.

I have had the Tifosi Tyrant glasses in the past and I'm currently using Oakley Radar Lock. So here's my thoughts. They are equally comfortable. If your going Oakley get a pair with polarized or Prizm lenses or even the G30 lens and if you can find them for around 200 it's worth it. If you get a pair of Oakley's and just get a regular lens stick with the Tifosi imo.

I've been giving the PRIZM a once over for sure. I'm looking for something to improve sight while on course but still guard from the sun.

I've been giving the PRIZM a once over for sure. I'm looking for something to improve sight while on course but still guard from the sun.

What lens are you using in your Tifosi when golfing. I used the purplish one and liked it quite a bit.

Ive got a couple pairs of Oakley FJ with the G30 and G20 XLJ lenses and I love them. I also have a pair of Tifosi with a really light lens and they are nice as well. I prefer to wear the Oakleys because they just fit my head perfectly, and the ability to replace/swap lenses at will is awesome. The Tifosi are a little bit too tight if I wear them for an extended period of time.

I will say this as well. Keep your hard Tifosi case, the size of Oakley cases are huge and a pain to find somewhere that it can fit it. The lenses on these are easy to change but have a locking system so changing lenses when your in the car isn't as quick as with the Tifosi's.

Oakley Big Taco with Black Iridium Polarized lenses.

s-l1600.jpg

I've been rocking Oakley sunglasses for at least a decade. They fit my face well, they don't slide around when you get sweaty, and their ballistic protection means I can wear them on deployments. Also, they offer a discounted rate to government, law enforcement, and military types, which is super-important now that I need a prescription. I've also used Oakley's regular glasses, which are excellent as well.

For the past three years I used Flak Jackets in Emerald Iridium. Love these shades, definitely among their best. Emerald Iridium is a great all-around tint, very true to color, good contrast. The only knock I have is that it does tend to wash around greens just a hair, so probably not the best tint for golf. These show a decent amount of wear & tear, but for three years of almost constant, year-round use, and how often they get swapped for my regular glasses, I still like them.
IMG_20160614_210631_zps5xjhhhhd.jpg

Earlier this year my annual eye exam revealed that my prescription had gotten a bit worse. Not a whole lot, but enough that the supplier, Oakley Standard Issue, can no longer fulfill my prescription with half-frame of metal frame sunglasses. It's now plastic full frame shades only. This is a pretty big bummer for me, because one of the things I like best about the Flak Jackets is the lack of a lower frame to get in the way when I'm looking down at a golf ball. So I shopped around a little bit and found the Two Face design. The lower part of the frame is aluminium, which allows it to be much thinner than the Frogskin and Holbrook designs that are popular these days. My only complaint is the size of the stems; for a guy who switches between sunglasses and regular glasses, the tan line from those stems looks very silly when I'm wearing regular glasses. I also switched to Tungsten Iridium lenses, which do a much better job of making greens and yellows pop. Yellow golf balls simply glow and are easy to find while wearing these glasses, and the increased contrast helps with green reading. I can't use G30 iridium lenses on shades I wear for work, because pink is not an authorized lens color to have in uniform. I think tungsten does a great job of accomplishing a golf-specific shade, and filters more UV than G30 anyway.
IMG_20160614_210641_zpsfe46k3ai.jpg

The prizm lens is legit. Only sunglasses I wear on the course now. They work as advertised.

ive been a oakley homer since 1993 when I bought my first pair in the Navy. They are built to last, enough styles to fit multiple purposes and they are coming up with things like prizm lens to help in anything from daily life, trail riding, golf, baaeball. Not to mention the safety protection the lens offer for the eyes from rocks or other objects.

While my brother was deployed to Iraq, he bought me a pair of Oakley M-frames because like Paladin said, he could get them cheap. I loved them. I have a large head and finding sunglasses that fit me well is quite the feat. I wore them all the time, until the lens started peeling and the rubber on them started getting slimy. I think that was because I would always leave them on my dash if I wasn't wearing them. Which meant the sun was beating down on them constantly. I'll snap a pic of them later. They are still in my car. I believe they have the polarized lens. I'd love to get another pair, but they are pricey.

I will never understand in a million years the cost of sunglasses. I know others look at me and say the same about golf apparel, shoes, etc. But with sunglasses they are all made in the same place.

Oakleys are the only sunglasses I wear. My eyes are super light sensitive and I find their clarity and comfort to be the best around. They are lightweight and in most cases the lenses are interchangeable, plus bulletproof! Haha you know in case you need that. I don't currently have the G30 golf specific lens in mine, but definitely thinking about picking them up. I don't have any issues with them moving around or letting in any light from the sides either.

This is what I wear on the course
24249.jpg

This is what I wear off the course
revant-replacement-lenses-oakley-square-wire-2-black-chrome-3-comp.jpg

Ive had 1 pair for about 5 years, have the black lenses and the G30 golf lenses, absolutely love them. Picked up a 2nd pair a few weeks back in a trade, need to get a new nose piece but have both lenses in those as well. I think both are the Flack Jackets

I just purchased some Flak Jackets XL from Oakley.com with G30 lenses. I got them for $98. I received them yesterday in fact.

Oakleys are the only sunglasses I wear. My eyes are super light sensitive and I find their clarity and comfort to be the best around. They are lightweight and in most cases the lenses are interchangeable, plus bulletproof! Haha you know in case you need that. I don't currently have the G30 golf specific lens in mine, but definitely thinking about picking them up. I don't have any issues with them moving around or letting in any light from the sides either.

24249.jpg

I really liked the ones you were wearing on the course. Ive had the same pair of Nike Skylon Ace sunglasses with polarized lenses for over 3 years now and MrsV suggested i invent in a nice pair of Oakleys. Ill be giving yours a look and see what i can find. Im the same way with light sensitivity

I have these for cycling. Love the lenses and the fact that they don't move at all even on warm rides over 50 miles. I also own 3 pairs of wire frame Oakleys for driving and skiing. One is an aviator style and the two others are their Tinfoil frame with different lenses. I like the Red Iridium lenses for driving.

main_OO9208-05_radar-ev_polished-white-prizm-road-path_001_67184_png_heroxl.jpg

CARRDIRI.jpg

I love my oakleys, I wear them primarely for beach volleyball, I own a pair of monster dogs and a pair of flak jackets, they are very sturdy, they help up with countless balls to the face. the side branches simply pop pu and you can easily put them back in. cheaper ones get much more expensive as they need to be replaced after one hit

I have these for cycling. Love the lenses and the fact that they don't move at all even on warm rides over 50 miles. I also own 3 pairs of wire frame Oakleys for driving and skiing. One is an aviator style and the two others are their Tinfoil frame with different lenses. I like the Red Iridium lenses for driving.
CARRDIRI.jpg

I like the look of those a lot!!!

Been wearing my current pair of Flak Jackets for the last 5 years and have owned a few pairs of Oakleys before that. The current pair I have is polarized and I doubt I will wear anything else going forward. These have been perfect for my eyes on gray days that have given me problems in the past. I have tried liking other brands like Bolle but felt they pressed up against my face too much, where Oakley are recessed just enough to sit comfortably.

24249.jpg

skip the g30 and get prizm. I tested the g30 against the prizm on both sunny and overcast days and the prizm were better both times.

I have three pair one for each vehicle. I don't wear them golfing at all just can't get used to it

9919e144d813f1fe76f75efdd75f4b3b.jpg

76429aff347091dc04a93b5256a3b7f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually just replaced my lenses in my Half Jacket XLJ's yesterday. I have a few sets of other shades I will wear during the season. I think the other 2-3 I wear are mostly Sundog. The Oakley's that I have I bought in 2007, have replaced the lenses twice.

Back