Oakley Sunglasses

Reviving a sunglasses thread. I'm in the market for a new pair of sunglasses. I'm currently wearing a pair of Tifosi's and have a set of golf lenses I'm thinking about popping in and then just keeping them as my golfing sunglasses. I'm interested in going back to Oakley for my daily pair.

I'm currently contemplating the Gascan or something in the Flak family but can't really decide. Definitely looking for polarized lenses, but beyond that, I'm not 100% sure what I like at this point.

looking for a golf frame for a big head - my guess is to get prizm? I finally have some decent contacts I can wear for golf but have no good non prescription glasses - would be nice too, to have an option to swap in a polarized lens if possible
any recommendations appreciated
Flak draft or the half jackets look pretty nice but not sure about the big head fit

Im back in the market for a pair of all around sunglasses.

my prescription seems to be hard to fill in the wrap around styles I prefer.

Ive narrowed it down to 2 options I like Best:

Maui Jim Stingray with the Maui Blue reflective lense $679

Oakley Flak 2.o with either ice polarized (blue) or the prizm road lense (pinkish) $485

Big price difference and both are hella expensive, though my double vision coverage may help towards the price.

Any opinions on either brand or model?

I’d focus on how much light you want to get through the lenses to your eyes. My bet is they have different percentages and I bet the ice iridium will be a bit darker overall.

Not sure you can go wrong through. They are both awesome lenses.

Oakley Flak 2.o with either ice polarized (blue) or the prizm road lense (pinkish) $485

Big price difference and both are hella expensive, though my double vision coverage may help towards the price.

The few people I know that have done prescription sunglasses prefer Oakley. I would see if you try the two lenses you are considering from Oakley outside to see what your preference is

I have the Flak 2.0 in Prizm golf with Rx and have no problems wearing them while driving. The fit is good and have had no issues with the lenses.
The only thing I would say is make sure you try both on, the flaks sat just a bit different than my other pair and was a bit of an adjustment period with the feel. I have already gotten a second pair.

looking for a golf frame for a big head - my guess is to get prizm? I finally have some decent contacts I can wear for golf but have no good non prescription glasses - would be nice too, to have an option to swap in a polarized lens if possible
Flak draft or the half jackets look pretty nice but not sure about the big head fit

When I worked at Sunglass Hut in college Oakley had "Asian" fit for some of their sunglasses. Those are wider and fit people with a bigger head better. Always thought that seemed a bit racist but that's what they were officially called. Maybe look into seeing if a sunglass shop near you has "Asian" fit oakleys to try on.

How blind are you? If you have a strong prescription, I’d stay away from the half jacket type glasses personally. On a wraparound style, the lenses get pretty thick at the edges. Going for something like a Gascan or Fuel Cell hides the thick edges. I did cough up for a pair of Oakley Fuel Cell’s with my prescription. It sucks paying $450 for $150 glasses, but for me, it was worth it. I work in bright reflective conditions, and the Oakley lenses are great at cutting out the glare.

#FiberLaunch

I’m blessed with a very fat head. It became apparent after trying a couple of the more popular frame styles that I was going to have to find a frame that fit regardless of style. The folks at the shop pulled every available frame for the case and worked with me for an hour to get it right. I couldn’t be happier with my Oakley’s.

Thanks Mr Moke which frame did you end up with? I’m about a 7 3/8 minimum on a hat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3/4 is what I meant- anyway most ball caps don’t really fit me

ive been to two optometrists that sell oakleys and both seemed lacking in product knowledge. im also trying to navigate double insurance coverage and making sure I stay in network for maximum coverage. this sure has been a complicated process...

I really like the fit and feel of the Maui Jims but they seem soooo dang expensive

the two Oakleys i like could work, but ive had a furstrating experience trying to confirm if they can be made in my prescription (worst eye is -3.75)

When I worked at Sunglass Hut in college Oakley had "Asian" fit for some of their sunglasses. Those are wider and fit people with a bigger head better. Always thought that seemed a bit racist but that's what they were officially called. Maybe look into seeing if a sunglass shop near you has "Asian" fit oakleys to try on.

I did see those on the web site - wasn't really sure what it meant. If you filter by the Asian fit the Flak 2.0 are there but not the XL version that I thought was better for golf. I'm not real knowledgeable re: Oakley - so maybe someone could help me - really just need to go to one of their dedicated stores I guess

Oakley Sunglasses

I really like the fit and feel of the Maui Jims but they seem soooo dang expensive

the two Oakleys i like could work, but ive had a furstrating experience trying to confirm if they can be made in my prescription (worst eye is -3.75)

The optician I went to a couple of years ago told me Maui Jim are the best lenses you can buy. He may have been biased, but it would explain the cost.
As for Oakley’s, I don’t know what you’re looking at, but I have -4.25 in my Fuel Cells.

Edit** Nevermind, I saw you were after the Flak 2.0’s. Have you tried going to Frames Direct and putting in your prescription? There are places online that do Oakley’s with their own lenses (seems a bit pointless to me) but Frames Direct get their glasses direct from Oakley with genuine lenses.

#FiberLaunch

Thanks Mr Moke which frame did you end up with? I’m about a 7 3/8 minimum on a hat

I believe the frame style is called Turbine, the lenses are Shallow Water Prizm, which work very well for golf.

Thanks Mr Moke! I like the look of those a LOT!!
No problem with movement on the head or the frame bottom blocking vision on shots?
Greg

Finally found an eye clinic that knew their stuff! Had to jump through a few hoops to confirm insurance coverage.

Ordered a pair of Maui Jim Stingray. Unfortunately they could not make my prescription in the maui brilliant blue lense that is absolutely gorgeous. But their grey polarized works well too. ended up paying $250 out of pocket

Thanks Mr Moke! I like the look of those a LOT!!
No problem with movement on the head or the frame bottom blocking vision on shots?
Greg

Not at all, when I was fitted the tech suggested I have my progressive bifocal set just a bit lower than typical. The idea being that since majority of the time the glasses will be worn while driving, fishing, playing golf, seeing up close is less critical. The best complement I can give a pair of glasses is that I never notice them.

Last edited:
Finally able to get to a store and try on some of these frames.
The Flak 2.0 xl were what I thought I would get for golfing but they seemed smallish to me and I had a lot of space beneath the lens.
The Turbines fit great and were much lighter than I thought but they didn't have any lens options except grey polarized.
Came home and ordered custom Turbines w the golf prizm lenses in them!
Can't wait to try them on the course!!
Greg

Got these in two days!! The prizm Golf lens looks much more “normal” than I was expecting. Love everything about these!
06fd2d12a84ed779f60db66743bcbcb7.jpg

I need a pair of glasses with the American Flag O

I've been giving the PRIZM a once over for sure. I'm looking for something to improve sight while on course but still guard from the sun.

I have used the Oakley Prism exclusively for a few years now...

As someone that is color blind, I use the "Trail" Prism lens and it helps me see more closely to what you all see...but the clarity, weight, and relaxed eyes after a round are what speaks volumes...

My Frames are the Half Jacket....

I have two pair, one with the stronger dark gray lens in them, (Same frame just different color) and then I have the Prism lenses (Trail Prizm) in the other frames...I carry both, as I play a lot of golf early or late day, and find myself switching back and forth...

I have tried lots of others, but got hooked on these as they are super light, and they have fantastic clarity....

Back