odd request re: skin care

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
fact: i'm a dude
fact: i've never cared about skin care, hair care, or any other beauty product other than to silently judge my wife for the amount of $ she drops on that crap

question: does anybody here have a recommendation for a good lotion or hand cream to help dry, cracking, irritated skin on your glove hand?

reason for question: i've noticed over the last year or two that the back of my glove hand, especially in the lower-humidity winter months, can get dry, irritated, scaly and even crack around the knuckles after an hour or so of hitting balls. and this lasts for over a week even without putting a glove on again. i've tried switching glove manufacturers, and it happens with old and new gloves, so to me it's a skin thing more than a problem with specific gloves.

sorry for the metrosexual question on a golf forum, but before i go to my nearest ulta and ask about skincare products, i thought i'd (anonymously!!!) ask you fine folks first.

Try Corn Huskers Lotion.

3b826361b55e1ee90d522ae59a6b21e3_zps78dae63a.jpg

If it's really bad, apply liberally and then put on a disposable glove over it while you are watching tv or something. Whatever you use, try to stay away from heavy oil content as it can dry more than moisturize sometimes.

JM

I have a similar issue with dry skin during the winter months so I use E45 cream, when I remember, to try and limit the amount of damage the cold does

I use Jergens ultra healing on my hands which start to crack during the colder months. I also use Olay Complete for my face which a added bonus is it has sunscreen in it.

Used to use Curel Extra Moisturizing but can't find it anymore.

Now I use St. Ives Daily Hydrating.

A whole house humidifier helps gobs. But ours broke and we haven't replaced it yet. Been boiling a pot of water on the stove to try to keep the humidity at about 50%.

We are actually purchasing a humidifier today. My upstairs HVAC unit is oversized for the space, but it takes ALL moisture out of the air and we are having really dry skin this year. Asked my HVAC guy the cost for adding humidity to my unit and just don't want to go that route right now. Actually have no idea what to get though.

JM

I've had good results with this, something all the older males in my family use also. http://www.bagbalm.com

I use Jergens ultra healing on my hands which start to crack during the colder months. I also use Olay Complete for my face which a added bonus is it has sunscreen in it.
This ^^^^^ Jergens Ultra.

This thread has been very interesting. This winter has been especially brutal on my dry hands. Tips of my fingers even got some cracks that really hurt. I've been using aquaphor but I'll have to try some of these others.

Moose,

I used to work a lot with livestock and such in the elements. The cracks in the tips and around my nails were killer and would get so bad they would bleed. An old guy gave me a bottle of the Corn Huskers and said to put it on and then put my hand in a dish washing glove. I later changed to some type of disposable glove, like an exam glove since they fit a little tighter.

Its some really good stuff and obviously works without the gloves too.

JM

I believe cetaphil works pretty well, too.

I'm a burn survivor and my hands got severely messed up and 1. I wear gloves all the time, on and off the coarse for protection 2. Lotion my hands just about every other day( sometimes more ) , and the lotion I like best is called Eucerin (You-sir-in). It works great, soaks in nicely and is not greasy at all (I hate greasy). Aquaphor is another very good lotion but is greasy and that's why I don't use it although I have in the past.

I can't stand the feeling of lotion or any creams on the face of my hands, but Restoration Hardware (the furniture store) sells or used to sell a really thick paste that dried really well.

thanks for all the tips!

http://www.target.com/p/2-7oz-o-kee...pid=14278332&gclid=CK6X2P2Z4sMCFXJp7Aod01QARw

yes, working hands by O'keefe. I have to wash my hands several times a day and this stuff clears up the cracks within a couple days. Now I use it twice daily to prevent the cracks and haven't had a problem for two years.

fact: i'm a dude
fact: i've never cared about skin care, hair care, or any other beauty product other than to silently judge my wife for the amount of $ she drops on that crap

question: does anybody here have a recommendation for a good lotion or hand cream to help dry, cracking, irritated skin on your glove hand?

reason for question: i've noticed over the last year or two that the back of my glove hand, especially in the lower-humidity winter months, can get dry, irritated, scaly and even crack around the knuckles after an hour or so of hitting balls. and this lasts for over a week even without putting a glove on again. i've tried switching glove manufacturers, and it happens with old and new gloves, so to me it's a skin thing more than a problem with specific gloves.

sorry for the metrosexual question on a golf forum, but before i go to my nearest ulta and ask about skincare products, i thought i'd (anonymously!!!) ask you fine folks first.

My wife sells all natural and chemical free lotions that I use all the time and they really work well.

They aren't that expensive and work much better than some of the top brands out there.

Only thing that I have found is any cream with Vaseline in it I work outside a lot and in the winter my hands are always dry and cracked so I keep them covered with a latex glove with Vaseline on at night

My wife owns an Aveda hair salon and you cannot beat Aveda's hand cream! I'm serious. For daily application, that stuff is unreal!

This thread has been very interesting. This winter has been especially brutal on my dry hands. Tips of my fingers even got some cracks that really hurt. I've been using aquaphor but I'll have to try some of these others.
Me too. I keep getting this splits on my rt thumb right above the end of the nail. New Skin (a brush on, liquid bandage) has helped with these. I've never gotten these before, but then again I've played more golf this winter.

I just started using Udderly Smooth on the recommendation from my best friends wife. We'll see if it helps.

As a pharmacist, for really dry hands, plain Vaseline is the most occlusive "moisturizer" you can get.

Moisturizers to not add moisture to the skin, it stops moisture from evaporating.

Try Vaseline at night, and then put on a pair of white gloves. If that is too greasy, try a ointment/lotion with a high petrolatum content.

Back