odd request re: skin care

And no this is not a weird meterosexual question at all. Sometimes, it gets so bad, I feel like I need treatment from my doctor.
Cracked skin should not be ignored. It can have serious health consequences. It turns out your epidermis is a barrier to infectious stuff that's all over the place. I've a friend that picked up an infection at the gym through a tiny little crack in the skin on one finger. Had it not been for his wife's insistence he go to the emergency room or urgent care, later that evening when the finger had gotten all sore and inflamed and swollen, he could have lost anything from that finger, to his hand, to his arm, to his life--it was that serious and progressed just that fast.

IIRC, he spent five days in the hospital from that one tiny little crack in his skin--two or three days of that in isolation in the ICU.

I haven't read through the entire thread so forgive any duplication.... Believe it or not, some of the old dairy farmers around me swear by a product called Bag Balm. Originally used to soothe the udders of of milking cows, when irritated, they found it worked great on people too. Just another among a bunch of good options. Mainly lanolin and some other ingredients... I've tried it and it works great!!

1614800082288.png

fact: i'm a dude
fact: i've never cared about skin care, hair care, or any other beauty product other than to silently judge my wife for the amount of $ she drops on that crap

question: does anybody here have a recommendation for a good lotion or hand cream to help dry, cracking, irritated skin on your glove hand?

reason for question: i've noticed over the last year or two that the back of my glove hand, especially in the lower-humidity winter months, can get dry, irritated, scaly and even crack around the knuckles after an hour or so of hitting balls. and this lasts for over a week even without putting a glove on again. i've tried switching glove manufacturers, and it happens with old and new gloves, so to me it's a skin thing more than a problem with specific gloves.

sorry for the metrosexual question on a golf forum, but before i go to my nearest ulta and ask about skincare products, i thought i'd (anonymously!!!) ask you fine folks first.

Dude im offended I didnt get a text about this

https://theolivepress.com/shop/bath-and-spa/olive-oil-healing-salve/olive-oil-healing-salve

For the record, I don't consider this to be a metrosexual question. I have not tried Kiehl's but the Jack Black hand cream has kicked the Neutrogena Norwegian Hand Cream out of the bag. My wife has had the same reaction. And we both really liked the Neutrogena. The Jack Black is easier to work, is more readily absorbed, and produces better results.

I agree - Jack Black has good hand cream. I also use some of the other product.o_O

I haven't read through the entire thread so forgive any duplication.... Believe it or not, some of the old dairy farmers around me swear by a product called Bag Balm. Originally used to soothe the udders of of milking cows, when irritated, they found it worked great on people too. Just another among a bunch of good options. Mainly lanolin and some other ingredients... I've tried it and it works great!!

View attachment 8996270
My brother and dad have hands that get cracked in the winter that is what they use. I stick with CeraVe for my winter dry skin needs.

Cracked skin is no laughing matter - it's shocking. My ex was a marathon runner and her heals were shocking - a big gaping crack in both heels - "Hon, tried moisturizer and new shoes?" I could not touch her feet and I'm good with feet. Giving the massage treatment ...:censored: But... but that was too gross, even for me.

I agree - Jack Black has good hand cream. I also use some of the other product.o_O
I may or may not have received - and use - some of their other men's stuff from my wife,

I may or may not have received - and use - some of their other men's stuff from my wife,

Keep on working it in. I'm 65, and peeps guess 55. Go for it.

I haven't read through the entire thread so forgive any duplication.... Believe it or not, some of the old dairy farmers around me swear by a product called Bag Balm.
My wife and I tried it. Thick. Greasy. Smelly. Didn't moisturize nearly as well as many other products. We eventually tossed it.

My wife and I tried it. Thick. Greasy. Smelly. Didn't moisturize nearly as well as many other products. We eventually tossed it.
used it. it works, but agreed. there's more effective stuff that's easier to use

I've had trouble with dry hands and cracking skin for years--particularly in wintertime or whenever I do a lot of extra hand-washing.

CeraVe is great. It moisturizes well and, unlike many skin creams, doesn't leave a long-lasting "oily" residue. (Particularly important when you're going to be gripping golf clubs, for example.)

But it doesn't work as well for repair, healing cracks you already have, as Gold Bond Ultimate Healing. When I stop paying attention, neglect to keep my hand moisturized, and develop cracks, the Gold Bond I apply at night, before going to bed. I don't just wipe it on, I spend several minutes massaging it in--particularly areas that have already cracked. (Even with that I can still feel it on my hands the following morning.)
CeraVe is the best I've found also.

I tried Eucerin last year, and while it moisturizes really well, it also contains alpha hydroxy acid (AHA). They warn that AHA can increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun, and they weren't lying. The first hot, sunny day I wore it, I got the worst case of prickly heat rash all I've ever had all over my lower legs, it looked (and felt) like I had been wading around in poison oak! 😬

Protip: if you're going to use a moisturizing lotion on hot, sunny days, make sure it doesn't have AHA in the ingredients!

Back