Odyssey 2-Ball (-Triple Track) Appreciation

Nappy

2024 Shaft Up #1 with UST Mamiya
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
PBR
I'm sure by now some of you have seen the love that the Odyssey 2-Ball received on another golf forum. I'm not disputing the love for the 2-Ball in any way, in fact I've gamed Odyssey putters for years and I've loved them. I have not tried the 2-Ball, but I have no doubt it's a great putter and deserves the attention.

My question start with the cons that were listed.... Everyone loved the putter but found the Triple Track alignment too distracting? (and to be fair I can understand why some might feel this way)

If that's the case though, shouldn't the previous versions of the 2-Ball putter (w/o Triple Track) be highly rated as well? After doing some research I don't see that the 2-Ball in past years was ever reviewed or highly rated (on the site I'm referring to).

So I'm genuinely just curious - is there something I'm missing? Is there something else to the newest 2-Ball putter that makes it better than the previous versions?

I'm sure by now some of you have seen the love that the Odyssey 2-Ball received on another golf forum. I'm not disputing the love for the 2-Ball in any way, in fact I've gamed Odyssey putters for years and I've loved them. I have not tried the 2-Ball, but I have no doubt it's a great putter and deserves the attention.

My question start with the cons that were listed.... Everyone loved the putter but found the Triple Track alignment too distracting? (and to be fair I can understand why some might feel this way)

If that's the case though, shouldn't the previous versions of the 2-Ball putter (w/o Triple Track) be highly rated as well? After doing some research I don't see that the 2-Ball in past years was ever reviewed or highly rated (on the site I'm referring to).

So I'm genuinely just curious - is there something I'm missing? Is there something else to the newest 2-Ball putter that makes it better than the previous versions?
Stoke Lab and the new insert? I don't know. I have never been a big two ball fan. I didn't see the other place you referenced. So, I am not fully up to speed with what you are referencing.

Stoke Lab and the new insert? I don't know. I have never been a big two ball fan. I didn't see the other place you referenced. So, I am not fully up to speed with what you are referencing.

MyGolfSpy listed it as their Most Wanted Mallet of 2020. I don't remember the exact words (I just saw it browsing Twitter), but it basically referenced it as being the highest marks they've ever received for a mallet putter. The Stroke Lab 2-Ball Fang (released 1 or 2 years ago) would have the same shaft correct? Or is the newest stroke lab shaft different?

I agree with you on the insert though - that could definitely be the key factor.

Either way - I just found it interesting.

MyGolfSpy listed it as their Most Wanted Mallet of 2020. I don't remember the exact words (I just saw it browsing Twitter), but it basically referenced it as being the highest marks they've ever received for a mallet putter. The Stroke Lab 2-Ball Fang (released 1 or 2 years ago) would have the same shaft correct? Or is the newest stroke lab shaft different?

I agree with you on the insert though - that could definitely be the key factor.

Either way - I just found it interesting.
Oh, I guess when you said older two balls, I was thinking way older than that. The Stroke Lab shaft has not changed. MOI could be different between the two as well, but I really don't know the specifics on that.

the insert is really good, but I thought the old insert was really good too. honestly other than feel I don't see much difference in performance. triple track is life. I refuse to be friends with anyone who believes otherwise. /s

New insert, Stroke Lab and TT technology has elevated this version of the 2-Ball over the others IMO. TT works and many have talked about it on THP. I for one have never been a 2-Ball guy, but I really like how the 2-Ball TT sets up behind the ball. I am guessing there are others like me out there who are giving this one a look, where they would not have before.

New insert, Stroke Lab and TT technology has elevated this version of the 2-Ball over the others IMO. TT works and many have talked about it on THP. I for one have never been a 2-Ball guy, but I really like how the 2-Ball TT sets up behind the ball. I am guessing there are others like me out there who are giving this one a look, where they would not have before.

I'm currently gaming the Stroke Lab Marxman and love it, but I gotta admit I'm intrigued by the 2-Ball now. I've wanted to try Triple Track as well. Lot of better deals on the older versions though.

I am gaming a triple track two ball 35" and you will not be able to pry it away from me.

Combined with a triple track ball, I KNOW I have lined up on my chosen line. I may mishit, I may over or under shoot, but the ball will be lined up correctly.

I don't know about the review -- take all them with a grain of salt -- but do like TT for alignment. It works for me independent of ball. The TT 2-ball is also one of my favorites in the TT line. I just have an aesthetic block against TT. Somehow I'll get over it, and a TT putter is a likely addition to my growing collection.

I would’ve been all over the TT 2-Ball if a TT Ten didn’t fall into my lap. The face and alignment on the Ten are awesome plus the stroke lab. Combine that with 2-Ball and I don’t see what there is not to like!

The TT 2-ball sits more square than the Ten and Marxman. With those putters you really need to get your hands forward to set them up. The 2-ball naturally wants to sit that way - that site even notes the loft measured in low at 1.3*. I think that helped it roll better for their testers who were going putter to putter.

The combo of 2-ball and lines is just really, really good too. I think it actually help you make a good stroke because you’ll get immediate feedback if you take it back too far outside or inside.

I think it’s only a matter of time before we see a Ten with 2-ball alignment.

Just because they found it distracting doesn't mean the tech behind triple track didn't help them sink more putts and increase their strokes-gained putting metric. Your mind can tend to lean one way (disliking/distracted by triple track) but the results can paint a different story.

Oh, an “award” :ROFLMAO:

Pretty solid THP review on that one on the homepage ;)

so in the middle you have the one that started it by complete fluke about 3-4 years ago. Bought this white hot used just to try the 3.0 grip. My Father gamed one for years but I never considered it. Two balls looked like gimics to me. but mallet helped me. Hit some long putts that were unusual. Got me interested in putting.

The one on the right is the Oworks but bit shorter model. By this time I got into putting a solid line around my ball. taught me I did not start the ball online so until I could do that might as well forget green reading. Got this one working very well but determined it was not customized enough for my stroke

TT two ball on left was customized for my stroke. Got less side spin on ball almost immediately, Later learned my distance control had improved.

won't say I will not have the next version in a few years:censored:

Just because they found it distracting doesn't mean the tech behind triple track didn't help them sink more putts and increase their strokes-gained putting metric. Your mind can tend to lean one way (disliking/distracted by triple track) but the results can paint a different story.

Completely agree with this. I was not a fan initially, but now I'm wondering if might help my game - even w/o using a Triple Track ball.

The combination of colors I found a bit more then my eye really wanted to see so after 3 months of trying that I simply put a sliver of black electrical tape over my red line and is subdued the look. before when I looked down I saw as the blue lines as dominant as the red. Now I see black with faint hint of blue supporting lines.

The putter has improved my distance control a bit for reasons I can't explain vs the older models. The insert feels different then prior models but on feel to me is about like the line combinations; personal preference.

One of my best putting days today. I'm in love with this putter and ball combo

Went back to my O-works two ball last Sunday. I'm wondering why I moved on in the first place. Rolling it very, very well right now. Don't love the face as much as I do the triple track double wide I was using but I believe I'll eventually move to the TT 2-ball.

Went back to my O-works two ball last Sunday. I'm wondering why I moved on in the first place. Rolling it very, very well right now. Don't love the face as much as I do the triple track double wide I was using but I believe I'll eventually move to the TT 2-ball.

I'm going to get my O-works 2ball moved upright to same lie spec as my TT 2ball. Then I will use it as my backup in my winter bag. I like the o-works.

I believe that this putter is the easiest putter to line up that I have ever looked at. For anybody who struggles with this important aspect of putting, this would be one to put on the list to consider.

Back