Review Odyssey TEN and Bird of Prey Putter Review

So while at CC today, I tried out the BoP and rolled it against a Toulon Las Vegas and my own Futura 6m. The BoP rolls really nice but I actually had a hard time looking down at it. Always looked open to me at address even when I thought it was lined up. When I adjusted, I pulled the putt left. When I left it as is ("visually open"), it rolled on a good line. As much as I like the look, visually over the ball I didn't like it.

The Las Vegas on the other hand. Pretty sure that will end up in my bag very soon. Oye. Still love the feel of my 6m but that is something special with that LV.

It's funny when we where getting our presentation, Luke said there where a LOT of pros who could be better putters if they would stop using blades.
The Ten is a great putter and will help a lot of guys and gals make more putts.

While I don't agree with everything said about it, it is a putter that everyone should try if you are okay with the size.
What don’t you agree with?

So while at CC today, I tried out the BoP and rolled it against a Toulon Las Vegas and my own Futura 6m. The BoP rolls really nice but I actually had a hard time looking down at it. Always looked open to me at address even when I thought it was lined up. When I adjusted, I pulled the putt left. When I left it as is ("visually open"), it rolled on a good line. As much as I like the look, visually over the ball I didn't like it.

The Las Vegas on the other hand. Pretty sure that will end up in my bag very soon. Oye. Still love the feel of my 6m but that is something special with that LV.
Two Uber different shapes there for sure. As is always the case with full mallets, one either likes the look, or doesn’t. It’s why I can rave about one in a review and see the results, but I just can’t game one long term. Stupid personal eye.

I ve been wanting to try the BOP for a while now. Every place I go doesn't sell or have any lefties to try :cry:

What don’t you agree with?
IMO when I grounded the Ten it would roll just a bit open for me. Now not enough to probably matter but enough where I had to square it up with my hands.
It rolls great but that is not something I care for. My Doublewide when grounded stays square.

IMO when I grounded the Ten it would roll just a bit open for me. Now not enough to probably matter but enough where I had to square it up with my hands.
It rolls great but that is not something I care for. My Doublewide when grounded stays square.

Something close to this is what was happening with the BoP, when I rolled it.

Was in the market for a putter upgrade so I went to GG today and tried out the Ten and the BoP for about an hour. For me it wasn’t even close - the BoP looked better, felt better and rolled better for me.

Interestingly enough the 35 in. length felt better then the 34 in. I know generally that the shorter the putter, the better control you’re supposed to have, but I was just killing it with the 35 in. length.

As such, I am now the happy owner of a 35 in. Bird of Prey ?. Looking forward to rolling some putts with this for real soon!

Today was the first day I got to try out my new BoP on an actual course, so I figured I’d share the results...which were AMAZING.

First, a little bit about me: growing up I always used blades, but having picked up golf again after 15 years, I wanted to try a mallet, so I bought a Tommy Armour Impact 3 putter from Dick’s because it was very well priced and MGS had it as the best value mallet putter last year. I liked it, but still didn’t feel as comfortable or as confident putting as I felt I could. I did a bunch of research and kept coming back to the BoP, so I tried one out, loved it, and bought it.

Flash forward to today, and this putter just flat out lived up to expectations. I’m by no means a pro at putting, but I had a great day on the greens (for me), and it was absolutely because of the BoP. Made everything under 5 ft., rolled a 30 footer to within about two inches, had one 20 ft. putt from off the green that hit the pin and bounced out, and made a great 15 footer for par.
Never did worse then 2 putts the whole round, which for me is excellent.

I love this putter. It felt great to swing, the feel on contact was amazing, distance control was excellent, and it was SO EASY to line up. It really did live up to the hype for me - can’t wait to take it out more this year!

Has anyone done a grip change yet? What weight? I’ve read...

65gm oversize grip has 40gm weight in shaft

75gm pistol grip has 30gm weight in shaft.

wondering if you order from Callaway can you specify which weight it used?

I would like to get a SS traxion pistol 1.0 which is 82gm. If I order with the oversize grip and make the change, I’m 7gm over stock, not sure it that will noticeably change feel. Anyone else swap the grip yet?

Has anyone done a grip change yet? What weight? I’ve read...

65gm oversize grip has 40gm weight in shaft

75gm pistol grip has 30gm weight in shaft.

wondering if you order from Callaway can you specify which weight it used?

I would like to get a SS traxion pistol 1.0 which is 82gm. If I order with the oversize grip and make the change, I’m 7gm over stock, not sure it that will noticeably change feel. Anyone else swap the grip yet?
To my knowledge if you order through Cally/Odyssey they’ll adjust the weight according to the grip you select.

Also, bold statement, the BoP is the best mallet in the entire Odyssey arsenal.

Yup. I said it.

Yup. I said it.

Now you've gone too far sir. But I still love ya.

Yup. I said it.
I'll bite, why?
I haven't rolled that one, and the one issue I have with it is purely aesthetic. The gap they left on either side looks off to me. I'm assuming there was a reason for it, but just makes it look off to me.
Also I'm new to mallets so still trying to understand them.

I'll bite, why?
I haven't rolled that one, and the one issue I have with it is purely aesthetic. The gap they left on either side looks off to me. I'm assuming there was a reason for it, but just makes it look off to me.
Also I'm new to mallets so still trying to understand them.
Check out the review in the OP ;):p

Seriously though, when talking best in mallets for me aesthetics aren't part of it. Could I roll the BoP full time? No. Do I believe it is the most balanced, easiest to align, easiest to sole properly, and most forgiving/accurate mallet I have ever tested/reviewed? Yes.

I'm moving on from my #10. I like it but I simply roll my old faithful Toulon Memphis better.

Okay another question @Jman I read the article again, so ho do they determine the MOI of a putter? The BOP is about 200 higher than the Ten.

Okay another question @Jman I read the article again, so ho do they determine the MOI of a putter? The BOP is about 200 higher than the Ten.
Math. A lot of math.

In layman's terms, MOI is the resistance to twisting at impact, but the actual number is an, at least to me, complex mathematical equation.

Yup. I said it.

I totally agree with this statement. I love my BOP and I'm coming from a Toulon Madison blade so it's like a 100% different look.

My phone is ringing again, guys dying for me to play in their scrambles this spring and summer. :oops:

I tested the BoP on my home course’s putting green. I love my Ten however the BoP was more consistent. It must be the extra stability on off centre contact that made the difference. I am now in ponder mode about adding the BoP to my putter stable.

Check out the review in the OP ;):p

Seriously though, when talking best in mallets for me aesthetics aren't part of it. Could I roll the BoP full time? No. Do I believe it is the most balanced, easiest to align, easiest to sole properly, and most forgiving/accurate mallet I have ever tested/reviewed? Yes.

James you have a call on the other line from your Cleveland Elevado Frontline:devilish:

Seriously - which of these two would you prefer? BOP or Elevado? Both sound great to me.

Math. A lot of math.

In layman's terms, MOI is the resistance to twisting at impact, but the actual number is an, at least to me, complex mathematical equation.
Yeah it gets complicated Snickerdog. The basic equation is MOI = The sum of all the:(mass)x(distance squared). So if you imagine breaking the putter into tiny little points with equal mass, and then measuring how far away from the axis of rotation (essentially the centerline) each point is, and add everything up (thank God for computers), that give the MOI.

The point being, pushing more mass farther away jacks up the MOI much more than just adding mass, or adding it close the center. It's not a linear effect.

Yeah it gets complicated Snickerdog. The basic equation is MOI = The sum of all the:(mass)x(distance squared). So if you imagine breaking the putter into tiny little points with equal mass, and then measuring how far away from the axis of rotation (essentially the centerline) each point is, and add everything up (thank God for computers), that give the MOI.

The point being, pushing more mass farther away jacks up the MOI much more than just adding mass, or adding it close the center. It's not a linear effect.

James you have a call on the other line from your Cleveland Elevado Frontline:devilish:

Seriously - which of these two would you prefer? BOP or Elevado? Both sound great to me.
I prefer the Elevado, but I think the BoP is a better mallet putter. Visually its not my cup of tea, but I do still think it’s the best I’ve worked with.

Back