Odyssey White Hot OG Putters

Okay. Well. Where to begin.
FANTASTIC write up @Jman!
Hi, I’m xThor and I’m an Odyssey putter addict. :LOL:
I am so thrilled to have the OG white hot insert back! Combine that with the new updated Stroke Lab shaft, and this is going to be a winner. Lots of buzz words can be thrown around with this line: flex modulus and powerline impact modifier, come to mind. But what will stand out is the white hot insert coming back. Well, as stated, it never truly left, but wasn’t available to us mere mortals and internet golfers.

I believe that the white hot insert is going to overshadow the shaft here, unfortunately. The stroke lab shaft was something I really fell in love with in 2020; loved the weight, feel, and stability. The stroke lab shaft in the White Hot OG isn’t just a superficial color change, it has seen an update to be better balanced, and more stable. It’s new, and it’s beautiful.

The DFX grip is one of my favorites that Odyssey has offered, and currently have one on a couple different Odyssey putters, so I am VERY excited to have that back as a standard offering, and in a grey color that is going to complement the red quite well.

They’ll sell extremely well. I’d place a large wager on that.
I agree. The white hot is in legendary status.

The new stroke lab shaft is more than just a new paint job as well. There is a shorter stepless steel section, it's 7 grams lighter, and it's stiffer and more stable. The feedback they got on the original is that it felt soft due to the light weight so they've looked to address that. In testing versus the original stroke lab shaft are seeing 6% more consistent time to impact, 9% more consistent impact location, and 6% more consistent swing arc. They are excited about the improvements to what was already a great shaft!
That’s in the article too! ;)

That #7 looks great! Also that #9 is a tried and true putter shape for me!

Okay. Well. Where to begin.
FANTASTIC write up @Jman!
Hi, I’m xThor and I’m an Odyssey putter addict. :LOL:
I am so thrilled to have the OG white hot insert back! Combine that with the new updated Stroke Lab shaft, and this is going to be a winner. Lots of buzz words can be thrown around with this line: flex modulus and powerline impact modifier, come to mind. But what will stand out is the white hot insert coming back. Well, as stated, it never truly left, but wasn’t available to us mere mortals and internet golfers.

I believe that the white hot insert is going to overshadow the shaft here, unfortunately. The stroke lab shaft was something I really fell in love with in 2020; loved the weight, feel, and stability. The stroke lab shaft in the White Hot OG isn’t just a superficial color change, it has seen an update to be better balanced, and more stable. It’s new, and it’s beautiful.

The DFX grip is one of my favorites that Odyssey has offered, and currently have one on a couple different Odyssey putters, so I am VERY excited to have that back as a standard offering, and in a grey color that is going to complement the red quite well.

I can almost see you giggling with excitement while you typed this 😆

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I wish they would go away from the 3 dots on top of the 7 and go back to the line instead. It's one reason I didn't go with O-works red 7 but instead went with the black because it had that top line.

That #7 looks great! Also that #9 is a tried and true putter shape for me!
There’s not a 9 in this release, which is honestly a bit surprising.

There’s not a 9 in this release, which is honestly a bit surprising.
yeah sad to see the omission in the pictures... kept searching online.. thanks for clarifying

Well this is exciting. I probably made the most putts of my life with the White Hot Rossie. I'm definitely a #7 guy now, but with this insert........its tempting...

I must roll these. Need covid to settle down and then I’m going to live in a pro shop while I roll putters. I’m in serious withdrawal.

Still have my White Hot XG Marxman

I’m sure @Tevenor @Muchmore18 @93civiccpe @JB and the Callaway guys on the zoom session when we talked about this, all saw the giant goofy grin I had on my face the whole time. I went from this -> o_O to this -> :love: And back and forth many times.

I am pretty sure you had a couple of seizures as well. Especially when we talked about that other thing. <redacted> :D

A slant neck #7 with the OG white hot insert is in my future!!

Haha.. quoting LL Cool jay in a golf article is an absolute first. These are legendary..I think people will really really like these.

I remember not being a fan at the time. But, tastes change over time and I for sure will roll some to see if that is the case.

These look amazing, I love seeing the OG models and OG insert back, that #5 with a stroke lab might be calling my name!

My thoughts exactly! Maybe the Rossie S. But first I need to figure out if I can exist without triple track! I fear it may have ruined me!

The feedback they got on the original is that it felt soft due to the light weight
It’s cool that they touched on that. It was actually a “feel” thing in the original SL since it was actually stiffer than their standard steel shaft. The fact that they were able to address that feel concern for people while still improving on everything was pretty cool to hear!

The new stroke lab shaft is more than just a new paint job as well. There is a shorter stepless steel section, it's 7 grams lighter, and it's stiffer and more stable. The feedback they got on the original is that it felt soft due to the light weight so they've looked to address that. In testing versus the original stroke lab shaft are seeing 6% more consistent time to impact, 9% more consistent impact location, and 6% more consistent swing arc. They are excited about the improvements to what was already a great shaft!
Thanks for this, getting information straight from the source is always fun and easier to help share with the community. I know you probably were swimming with information when you sat through the presentation, do you recall how long they have been working on this new version?

I’m so glad slant necks have become a true option over the last few years. All the 7 heads (versas, tanks, Las Vegas) that I have owned have been double bend / face balanced. I’m very excited at 7s with this insert.

just in case people were wondering (and these might be the same or similar to previous generations) but here are some pics of the headcover...at least from the Japan site. i couldnt' find them anywhere but there for some reason.

1610639777638.png
1610639820188.png

I love seeing this insert come back and with such classic shapes. At some point I'll be picking up a Rossie when they start hitting the used market. I may have to track down a 2 Ball for my daughter too.

I may have missed it in the article but do we know what the head weight is on these?

Looks like specs are listed on Callawaygolf.com (but can't find on Odyssey). Rossie looks to be 355g. #1 is 350g. #1WS 350g, 2-ball 355g, #5 355g, #7 355g

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I wish they would go away from the 3 dots on top of the 7 and go back to the line instead. It's one reason I didn't go with O-works red 7 but instead went with the black because it had that top line.
I don't like the 3 dots either. The line is so much easier to use in my opinion

I'm a #1 guy but....#7?? :unsure:

Looks like there's a lot to like here. A great classic look to the finish to go with the insert, and some classic shapes. I'm really interested to hear early feedback on the SL shaft now that they've updated it. Love the red. I also like that weights are an option here. I found that really let me dial in my O-Works #7. This one's gonna be a crowd pleaser for sure.

Doesn't look like they have the shape I'm looking for (1W double bend) in this release, but hopeful they'll either extend this line at some point or keep this insert going for multiple releases like they did with the microhinge star. I expect this insert paired with the new SL shaft is going to be something special.

Back