Odyssey's business plan

Shook

Shooktacular
Reaction score
Handicap
This is something I've been wondering lately. Why hasn't Odyssey branched out to make any other types of clubs? They have the name recognition and tour exposure, so if they decide to build a driver they'd have no problem selling it. Why do you think the owners of Odyssey have chosen not to expand?

This is something I've been wondering lately. Why hasn't Odyssey branched out to make any other types of clubs? They have the name recognition and tour exposure, so if they decide to build a driver they'd have no problem selling it. Why do you think the owners of Odyssey have chosen not to expand?

Callaway...

Because they are a part of Callaway Golf.

Odyssey is owned by Callaway, so there is no reason for that to happen.

Is Callaway afraid of competing with themselves? I don't necessarily want an Odyssey driver or iron, but I think it would be an instant seller. From a business standpoint.

Is Callaway afraid of competing with themselves? I don't necessarily want an Odyssey driver or iron, but I think it would be an instant seller. From a business standpoint.

I think its less about competing with themselves and more about diluting their own market.
You can call something a product leader. They have that with Odyssey. When companies have two producing similar, it tends to leave one out. See (cobra and titleist).

I think they are best keeping the brand name with putters. They do a great job with the putter line and there is no need to risk that by trying to expand into another area where, as you noted ,they would be basically competing againt themself.

There was an Odyssey wedge. Assuming it didn't work out all that well since they scrapped it.

dual_force_med.jpg

There was an Odyssey wedge. Assuming it didn't work out all that well since they scrapped it.

dual_force_med.jpg

Wow that brings me back. After Happy Gilmore came out I bought anything Odyssey I could get my hands on including this wedge.

I think its less about competing with themselves and more about diluting their own market.
You can call something a product leader. They have that with Odyssey. When companies have two producing similar, it tends to leave one out. See (cobra and titleist).

I figured as much...I wonder if Callaway will decide they want a boost in sales one year and make a "limited edition" Odyssey Driver.

I figured as much...I wonder if Callaway will decide they want a boost in sales one year and make a "limited edition" Odyssey Driver.

Would it have a soft face insert? Two-ball driver?

Can I ask why you think it would be an instant seller? Like others have mentioned, the wedge they attempted didn't do well. Why would they change what has worked so well for them? Odyssey was the most used putter on tour this year. They are good at making putters, I don't see them stepping into the Driver Market

I reckon the old saying is appropriate here "If it an't broke don't fix it", I think they would be at the top if not the top in the putter world, so just keep concentrating on that market share and let Callaway do the rest of the lines. that's just my opinion, but it could be wrong.

Even if they weren't a part of Callaway, they are so entrenched in the putter market IO think any attempt to branch out would be met with confusion.

Can I ask why you think it would be an instant seller? Like others have mentioned, the wedge they attempted didn't do well. Why would they change what has worked so well for them? Odyssey was the most used putter on tour this year. They are good at making putters, I don't see them stepping into the Driver Market

I guess it's just my assumption that it would sell well. Just because they are so recognized. But I didn't realize they had tried a wedge before lol.

Given the different engineering, design, marketing, research, and development processes between putters and everything else in the bag, I think it just makes sense to have putters be as separate as possible.

And if Odyssey branched out, wouldn't they just be borrowing from Callaway anyway? Why induce that kind of brand confusion?

And also because every other big-name manufacturer has a complete line. Odyssey is one of the few single-specialty lines left. Just made me curious.

And also because every other big-name manufacturer has a complete line. Odyssey is one of the few single-specialty lines left. Just made me curious.

Scotty Cameron? Bob Vokey? Roger Cleveland?

I actually think in the future we will see more specialty lines. Fewer and fewer full line club manufacturers.

Bettinardi, Vokey, Scotty Cameron to name a few.

EDIT: Blu beat me to it

But aren't Vokey and Cameron at least partially attached to Titleist? I always kinda figured Odyssey/Callaway and Vokey or Cameron/Titleist to be a similar relationship.

But aren't Vokey and Cameron at least partially attached to Titleist? I always kinda figured Odyssey/Callaway and Vokey or Cameron/Titleist to be a similar relationship.

I mean Cameron is as much a part of Titleist in my eyes as Odyssey is to Callaway. Once again, absolutely no reason for Odyssey to make other clubs. It will water down the market, and the technology will come from Callaway which is just going to make buyers confused.

I actually think in the future we will see more specialty lines. Fewer and fewer full line club manufacturers.

That'd be interesting to see. Do you think they'd be spinoffs of the big OEMs, or more from new, small startups?

I wouldn't go to a Chinese restaurant if I was looking for a steak.

That'd be interesting to see. Do you think they'd be spinoffs of the big OEMs, or more from new, small startups?

I would imagine that we see Adam's become Taylormade's hybrid line for example. Maybe some start ups. I don't know really.

Back