OEM Kevin Wedge Test Results

Kmac

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
So after day one of wedge testing heres a quick update on the wedges. We hit wedges along with some drivers and hybrids. And to finish off our day we went back to the range to beat some more balls with the wedges after eating too much dinner. Here's my thoughts on the wedges so far.

My favorites *so far. These felt great and looked great:

Callaway Jaws - I actually spun this one backwards about 7 feet. Ive never done that before nuff said.

Fourteen - Awesome feel and JB, I hit the stump, haha.

Taylor Made XFT - I didnt hit a bad shot all day with this club. This club just felt great every shot. Smooth and easy to hit well.

Tour Edge Exotic - This one also had great feel as well. Good high soft flight. This club looks amazing and has a changeable weight on the back.

Adams Puglielli - I need to hit this one some more but the swings with it were very good.

Cleveland CG15 - Awesome. I had a great sand save bird today and the CG15 was the wedge I hit.

The second Tier: These just didnt feel as good to me but are still solid wedges

Nike VR - Solid club, felt ok.

Mizuno MPT-10 - For some reason Im not a big fan of Mizzies but I know a lot of people love them.

Bridgestone J38 Black - Solid performer.

Infiniti - Real nice looking and felt good, probably the best of this bunch.

Last Tier- These disappointed for one reason or another.

Titleist Vokey 2010 - YAWN. With all the hype and love I expected more but found the club clicky and head heavy. Just didnt feel as good as the others.

Heavy Wedge - Terrible. One of the worst feeling wedges Ive hit.

Scratch 1018 Forged - I think they forgot something because it felt hollow and muted. I know people love these wedges but I didnt feel the love.

Wilsone Staff - Another one like Scratch that I wanted to like but just didnt like it. This club felt real light and weak.

Tomorrow were going to Sarasota National for more testing in the morning. They have a practice green you can chip onto so I can test spin.

*This list is subject to change and the sole opinions of OEM. No children or animals were hurt in this testing.

Yesterday I hit a few wedges before our round and then later in the day we went over to the range and hit full shots with all the wedges. You can see my thoughts above. A few of the wedges really stood out as fantastic wedges. A few stood out for poor performance. Today I hit both chips and full wedge shots and picked my top six based on spin, feel, sound and shot grouping. The top six wedges that all get a full OEM seal of approval are the Taylor Made XFT, Wilson Staff TW9, Callaway Jaws, Cleveland CG15, Tour Edge Exotics and the Fourteen.

1. Taylor Made XFT - This club was an absolute beast. The feel was amazing and the performance very good. Its a great looking wedge while at the same time you can buy a new face plate next year and have what is almost a new wedge. It didnt spin the most but everything combined propelled it to the top.

2. Wilson Staff - The surprise of the shootout. I really didnt like this club yesterday but today the results didnt lie. It spun better then any club in the group, felt great and has good looks. Really didnt expect this from the Wilson but in the end it just narrowly lost out to the TM.

3. Tour Edge Exotics - This club was also very good. It has a little bit bigger look to it that inspires confidence at address. It looks great and this one has a weight you can change out in the back of it. What hurt this club is it just didnt have the stopping power of the other two. Still a very good wedge.

4. Cleveland CG15 - When hit solid can stop on a dime. They have a very classic, clean look and those awesome laser milled face lines. The grouping just wasnt as tight as the top three.

5. Fourteen - Good feel, classic looks and solid performance. A wedge for the discerning golfer.

6. Callaway Jaws - This kind of surprised me as I has expected this club to blow the others away. I just put this club in my bag and played great with it today and yesterday. But the results just dont lie. Not quite as good at stopping and the sound was a bit off, kind of muted.

Im sure quite a few people want to know where the Vokeys are in this list. Two days in a row dead last. Marketing must be the key for these and their success. Scratch? Scratch them off. Not impressed at all. In the mid tier group of wedges the clubs were all pretty close. The Adams is a beautiful wedge and hit well. Nike was decent too. Bridgestone was good.

If you have any questions about specific wedges feel free to ask.

thank you kev... i was in the market for some wedges and was hesitant on pulling the trigger on some vokeys... i do like the callaways and the clevelands

Great review Kevin.. Reasserting my view that Taylormade makes one of the absolute best wedges in golf... Losing all concerns about the removable head too.

Thanks for the thorough review, OEM!

Great job Kev and much appreciated.

Great review Kevin.. Reasserting my view that Taylormade makes one of the absolute best wedges in golf... Losing all concerns about the removable head too.

Thanks. The XFT was a great wedge. And next year you can replace the face plate, thats huge. You cant tell at all that the face comes off.

Great stuff Kevin. Enjoyed hearing you go back at them again and confirm your thoughts.

Great info Kevin. Glad you have a good time and go to play and report about all these wedges.

Tonight for the final wedge testing was a blast! Just exactly what you want to do when youre buying wedges but cant! If I was buying a wedge right now, it would be the Taylor Made, easy!

Did you happen to try out the CG 15 with the Dynamic Sole Grind? I have been intrigued with carrying that with a 56*.

Did you happen to try out the CG 15 with the Dynamic Sole Grind? I have been intrigued with carrying that with a 56*.

No war we didnt have that one. Ive seen that same wedge at the store and have been curious about it myself. But I know the normal CG15 is a great wedge.

This was an awesome post. Some of the best info for sure. Thanks for your hard work:D

Re: OEM Kevin Wedge Test Results

I'll have to take a look at this collection tomorrow when I go to the shop. Thanks for the head-to-head comparison!

great stuff OEM! thanks for putting in all the time and effort this was a top notch review!

Did your feelings change at all about the MP-T10?

really solid review and write up OEM! it's hard to argue with results and it's intriguing to see what made you top 5 and what didn't. thanks for all the hard work and effort, although i'm sure you didn't mind at all!

For what little it's worth... I have a 58* CG15 with the DSG. I like it quite a bit. I transitioned from a 60* so I could keep my wedge gaps at 4* between each wedge. The DSG gives me a lot of confidence in opening it up to 60* (or much farther). The only warning I would have is that the DSG has essentially no bounce. If your 56* is your sand wedge, I'd make sure to test it in some bunkers before taking the plunge.

Great review with some surprising results. Cleveland I figured to be in the top, but based on the hype I was sure Scratch and Volkey would be there as well.

I know its not a 'wedge' in the traditional sense, but I wonder how a 56* Niblick would have fared in that group? That is the only club I have ever been able to roll back on a green. Glad to see the CG15 in the top group, the CG15 and CG14 are the only wedges I have been able to hit consistently well.

Not really. Just didn't feel that the mizuno stacked up to the top six at all. Average wedge when compared to the top dogs.

Did your feelings change at all about the MP-T10?

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

so... what happens to all these wedges after the testing?
get to keep any?

Thanks tc. It was very interesting to see how these wedges stacked up when used in real world testing. It was tough but I managed to get through. Lol.

really solid review and write up OEM! it's hard to argue with results and it's intriguing to see what made you top 5 and what didn't. thanks for all the hard work and effort, although i'm sure you didn't mind at all!

JB will have to answer that one for you but none of them made their way into my bag. But the Taylor made xft was more then welcome to hide in my bag.

so... what happens to all these wedges after the testing?
get to keep any?

you sure you didnt walk away with a "limp" using one of the wedges as a "splint" *wink wink*

Back