PODCAST Off Course: Episode 24: Golf is Up!

from a 'public' standpoint? I think those waters are pretty murky.

Does it even reach 100 dollars before it becomes out of reach for a large majority of golfers seeking out public play?

Again, resorts are a different animal in my opinion. Usually because there are packages that make it much easier to swallow/more affordable in relation to the overall cost of what you’re spending on a vacation.

but non resort/single round play courses that charge more than 75$ is a tough sell for so called “public courses” to meanyway. That’s about what all the courses charge here and it’s why I do a mini membership at one of them. I pay 55$ in peak season vs 90 to non residents and 80 for residents.....

ya Charleston resident rates suck btw. Can’t figure out how they don’t do it better like myrtle, Hilton, North Carolina places, etc.

Another excellent episode guys, thank you. As to the Gary Player interview, that whole thing was just seemed tragic. I used to read Dr Seuss's The Lorax to my kids when they were little. Thanks Gary, I never thought I'd actually see the RL Lorax. Besides the obvious contradictions with all the jet fuel he's burned, hime tieing that into how he would've won many more majors if he lived over here was just sad. Dude was wealthy enough to live here. Is he really that jealous of Jack and Tiger or is he just losing it now. 85 is up there, I know he's 85 because he must've said it 3 or 4 times during the broadcast, usually to point out Jack was younger. Strange for someone so accomplished.
lmao wow, RL Lorax is kinda nailing it.

Question for @Canadan and @HipCheck

What is the price point threshold where courses jump from being affordable to too expensive?

Oh man. I think it's different for everyone. The best public resort course near me is $125 on the weekends before noon, including cart. And the weekends include Friday (total BS). That's not personally a dealbreaker as I only do it a few times a year, but for others I can understand it may be. To their credit there are "rewards" memberships you can buy to get the round costs down if you play a lot.

I don't think I'd pay more than that, honestly. DEFINITELY not weekly.

Here in my county, you can get a (yearly) $50 county card, then play any one of 5 county courses for maybe. $50 max.

PS: I'm not sure this even answers the question.:p

The Corales Puntacana Resort & Club Championship does come with a 2021 Masters exemption (Berger) for the first time this year! If it was to draw a stronger field it didn’t work... Also I hope Rob didn’t jump on the Minshew Express and buy that Jags gear, yuck!

As for making golf more watchable, I have one word - DRONES. Or a Skycam. But really I’m not sure how watchable it is for non-golfers. I watch just about every sport out there and I can’t play them worth a damn, but I’ve heard people who don't watch baseball because it’s too boring say golf is even worse. As for me, I want more on-course content and less stuffy old guys with outdated takes.

First point: shocked. Absolutely shocked. That is borderline wrong? I don't know.
Second: I started Minshew in fantasy. Dammit!
Third: I'm not sure that the sound of drones everywhere would "fly" *rimshot!

Back