PODCAST Off Course Episode 6: Walking vs Riding

I agree Sunday bags are just silly. @Canadan i am calling you out on walkers vs riders. Let’s find a wide open course, you bring a buddy and you both walk, I will bring a buddy and we will ride we will beat you every time (everyone has to play at their normal pace)
I do agree that one person per cart is the best for pace. Also rider vs walker can be course dependent though.Courses that have long spaces between tee and green would destroy walkers time
Great episode, I really enjoyed it

I agree Sunday bags are just silly. @Canadan i am calling you out on walkers vs riders. Let’s find a wide open course, you bring a buddy and you both walk, I will bring a buddy and we will ride we will beat you every time (everyone has to play at their normal pace)
I do agree that one person per cart is the best for pace. Also rider vs walker can be course dependent though.Courses that have long spaces between tee and green would destroy walkers time
Great episode, I really enjoyed it
The critical element here is the reality that no matter how fast you are in a cart, unless the course is wide open, it makes no difference haha!

I promise you I'll keep up with the group in front of us, and we can play straight up for shots if you really need it.

The critical element here is the reality that no matter how fast you are in a cart, unless the course is wide open, it makes no difference haha!

I promise you I'll keep up with the group in front of us, and we can play straight up for shots if you really need it.
On a serious note the cart vs walking is very much course dependent. Example walking
Pinehurst number 2 is as fast as riding. Trying to walk Buffalo Ridge would take you 6 hours 😈

Saturday night listen...

On a serious note the cart vs walking is very much course dependent. Example walking
Pinehurst number 2 is as fast as riding. Trying to walk Buffalo Ridge would take you 6 hours 😈
yeah it's definitely course dependent. I love a good walk, but you'd be nuts to walk some of these courses.

Is it an accurate representation of your abilities when you leave clubs at home that could/would be useful when playing? Having fewer options to pull.

Most golfers don’t need 14 clubs. I once shot an 86 with a 5 iron and a putter when my HC was a 9. Every other club would be just fine for most skill levels. I’d be surprised if most of us used more than 10 in any one round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sunday bags are the top-knots of golf: the only reason you use one is so that other people notice you use one. There. I said it.

Sunday bags are the top-knots of golf: the only reason you use one is so that other people notice you use one. There. I said it.
I now know what a topknot is but not sure I get the analogy.

Also great podcast. This was awesome for the focus on golf and the likes. I love walking and agree single walking is pretty damn fast. I bet two walkers would play faster than two riders.

Any specific Sunday bags? I've seen them but never knew they were pricey.

You mention carry heavy bag are you anti-pushcart mafia?

I agree with @Canadan . Single rider ---> single walker (pusher didn't sound right) ---> 2 guys and a cart

Same. That's what I have experienced during the isolation period in golf so far. Every round has gone faster than usual.

I wonder if lack of golfers is part of it. Do you think with covid that the less than weekly golfers are staying away? The guys that want to chat and hangout with friends are just not playing?

Played today. Carried 14... played only 12 of them.

Local course upgraded the fleet

Screenshot_20200524-014607__01.jpg

So I have 2 Jones Carry Bags. One classic and one Rover. Both easily carry 14 clubs and I wouldnt use them if they couldn't. Yes, a stand would make them more functional, but they both do a good job.

Don't care about the negative comments I still really like them. Guess I'm just living up to that millennial stereotype of wanting to be unique.

4:45 round today.... Ughhhh ssssoooooo sloooowwww

4:45 round today.... Ughhhh ssssoooooo sloooowwww

Yeah, that's ridiculous. I'm not sure what makes people wanna play that slow.

We had 3 playing in my group today. There was a foursome ahead of us that held us up almost the whole round, some of the hold ups were lengthy, which in turn held up the 4 behind us in carts. The foursome ahead of us were all plus handicaps. Being good I guess really doesn't mean quick play.

We had 3 playing in my group today. There was a foursome ahead of us that held us up almost the whole round, some of the hold ups were lengthy, which in turn held up the 4 behind us in carts. The foursome ahead of us were all plus handicaps. Being good I guess really doesn't mean quick play.
It's a skill that is taught, imo.

We were a threesome today playing behind four kids walking. They played the front nine in just over 2 hours, letting us through on the 9th. We played the back in 1.5 hours basically taking our sweet time with no one in front. They were more than two holes behind when we finished.

We had a chat with a twosome that skipped ahead. Don't care what you shoot just keep pace and play fast. Although certain members in my group today we're slow. I like ready golf... Jump up and go

Our foursome walked 18 today (~6.5 miles) at a leisurely pace and finished in 3:40. We could easily hustle around the course in under 3:30. Our goal is to enjoy the game, conversation, and being outside. The course had a couple of open tee times today so demand was a little lighter than normal. That said; we typically finish in less than 4 hours on weekend mornings with four walkers. We play 6,500 yard tees with a 72.2 rating and 143 slope. It's not an easy track but all of us have played several hundred rounds on this course.

We had a threesome in front of us today and didn't see them after the 13th hole. They finished in under 3:30 with two walkers and one cart.

Back