Off Course: Ranking the Four Majors

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show. Hosted by Dan Edwards, each Friday he gives you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before. Today THP Staff Writer and friend of the show James Miles from joins the conversation to talk about the four majors.

It wouldn’t be Off Course without some tangents, but Dan and James discuss everything from the ranking the four majors to the criticisms of the great players in history. This show has a lot going on and is one you will not want to miss as James Miles goes Off Course.

Episode 118 is here and Dan and James discuss the following topics.

Ranking the Four Majors?
Criticisms from Some Golfing Greats
The Open Championship
Supporting the Feeder Tours
And so much more

You can listen to the show right here, Apple Podcasts or of anywhere you do your listening and downloading from. Search for the Hackers Paradise and make sure to subscribe so you never miss an episode. After listening, come back over and drop us a note below on what you agree and/or disagree with from the episode.

Untitled-3-1-1024x692.jpg

Continue reading...

1. Masters
2. US Open
3. Open
4. PGA

1. Masters
2. Open
3. US Open
4. PGA

1. Open Championship
2. The Masters
3. US Open
The Memorial
The Players
4. PGA

Masters
US open
Open
PGA

Well, I guess this title would definitely spur some skimming :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1a Open Championship
1b The Masters
1c US Open

4. PGA

Launch monitors are a great call. Had never thought about that

The US Open - This is the holy grail for a US Born Golfer. The hardest test year over year in all of golf. (there has been exceptions but not normally) Only a handful of golfers have a shot at this each year. Have to be big off the tee, lazy accurate with irons and wedges. It's the ulitmate test.
the Open - It's probably 3 on my list but out of respect of the birth of golf (or ~) I have to slide this one in their.
Masters - It's the Masters. The field is pretty weak like the Open which hurts it significantly but there is a lot of greatness that comes from it.
PGA - I'd like to see this become a global tourney. It would eventually surpass them all if they actually did that..... But as of now it's number 4. However the field can be brutal.

I was engaged in a conference call at 6am which is my normal listen to this on the way to work. I'll have to give this a listen this weekend.

Love the hello world

@Canadan and @Jman let's take care of the freaking caddies. Great listen guys! Great way to start my Friday.

Have worked in the medical services of Masters and an Open

My rank
1. Masters - if you asked pros on average = one they honestly most want to win I believe. - memorable runs Jack 86, Tiger's last win etc. Best championship dinner, best prize - green jacket, lifetime exemption etc.
2. US Open hardest course (usually) and deep field that pros have to qualify to get in each year.
3. PGA - most would put Open (British) here but this over the past decade or so has had great courses and great leaderboards and champions and now is in a better place on schedule.
4. The Open - no disrespect as it is still a great championship, but can get fluky winners and courses like Andrews rely on either win or tough pin positions to make sure the field does not go super low.

Will listen to it later this afternoon, but I just appreciated the appropriate censorship that’s happening haha

Masters and the Open, those are the only ones that are truly huge imo.

Cam Smith played the most amazing major 9 holes maybe ever. Tigers back 9 at Augusta in 1997 maybe the only competition.

distance.. here is my feeling. I don’t care. Do we need to protect par? Also, golf is better at all locations, courses, and levels, if the course is firmer. Greens need to hold shots but fairways should be firm and fast. It’s just better. We just have to stop caring about some arbitrary number like par..

Launch monitors are a great call. Had never thought about that
It’s one I’ve long thought doesn’t get the talk it should. Everyone wants to talk club tech, but what about electronic tech? What these young kids learn growing up in golf on monitors the whole time, and what it does for the elite players is not talked about enough.

Cam Smith played the most amazing major 9 holes maybe ever. Tigers back 9 at Augusta in 1997 maybe the only competition.

distance.. here is my feeling. I don’t care. Do we need to protect par? Also, golf is better at all locations, courses, and levels, if the course is firmer. Greens need to hold shots but fairways should be firm and fast. It’s just better. We just have to stop caring about some arbitrary number like par..
What about Henrik and Phil dueling it out?

It’s one I’ve long thought doesn’t get the talk it should. Everyone wants to talk club tech, but what about electronic tech? What these young kids learn growing up in golf on monitors the whole time, and what it does for the elite players is not talked about enough.
No tech in the world has sold more golf equipment than the Foresight GC2.

No tech in the world has sold more golf equipment than the Foresight GC2.
Isn’t that absolutely wild to really think about?

Back