Official 2020 MLB Thread

Wish I could have put into forum friendly words what I yelled. Holy cow that really happened

If Patrick Reed and Ian Poulter had a love child and that child was raised by Johnny Miller his name would be Dave ******* Roberts. I have never seen a guy mismanage a bullpen so regularly for so long and keep his job.

Such a fun and loose series has reeeeally tightened up tonight.

This game isn’t over by a long shot. But in the meantime Dodger fans everywhere thank Kevin Cash for doing his best Dave Roberts impersonation by horribly mismanaging his pitching staff.

Some interesting decisions by Tampa here in the last inning. Mookie is such a beast. He’s a great bowler too (y)

Dodgers!!!! Man, it’s been a long 32 years. Congrats to the Rays on a fabulous team and season.

Is Rob Manfred OK?

I asked the same thing. The wife thought he had a hearing device that was impacting his speech
Seems like he'd be used to that or PA feedback by now. He looked and sounded a little tipsy.

This game isn’t over by a long shot. But in the meantime Dodger fans everywhere thank Kevin Cash for doing his best Dave Roberts impersonation by horribly mismanaging his pitching staff.

Welcome to Baseball 2020. Analytics trump the eye test or what the pitchers feel. New school of managing.

It will be interesting to see the fallout from the Justin Turner situation. Here, MLB played its entire season with several COVID bumps in the road but ultimately finished the season and the WS was being played on schedule. Until last night, MLB had an uneventful COVID ride related ride through its post-season bubble. And then in the 8th inning of the final WS game, COVID makes an appearance. Justin Turner is removed from the game because of the confirmation of a positive test. But, he is not immediately quarantined or separated from the other players. He will join in the post-game celebration and, at times, will not have a mask on. The optics for the Dodgers and MLB are very bad here.

I suspect we will see fines to Turner and the Dodgers. And there should be some punishment, IMO.

I suspect we will see fines to Turner and the Dodgers. And there should be some punishment, IMO.

my boss and I were just talking about that.

Congrats to the Dodgers. They have been one of the best teams in baseball over the last 5 or so years so it is good they got a title. The cynic in me says they bought the title but they have a lot of homegrown talent on that team and some have gotten their big pay day. Taking nothing away from them. I hope the Padres can finally give them some competition in the NL West for the years to come.

It's going to be interesting because it can be argued MLB itself bears a degree of fault in this situation. And it could be that they are more at fault. Turner should have been immediately isolated from everyone or should have been forced to leave the stadium. I think MLB, the Dodgers and Turner are all at fault.

It's going to be interesting because it can be argued MLB itself bears a degree of fault in this situation. And it could be that they are more at fault. Turner should have been immediately isolated from everyone or should have been forced to leave the stadium. I think MLB, the Dodgers and Turner are all at fault.
I understand Turner wanting to get out there with his teammates for a once in a lifetime moment. I understand the teammates wanting him there. But someone has to be the adult in the room and say no. Heck, he sat next to Dave Roberts for the team picture; Roberts is a cancer survivor and therefore a high risk person. IMO you just can’t do that.

Congrats to the Dodgers. They have been one of the best teams in baseball over the last 5 or so years so it is good they got a title. The cynic in me says they bought the title but they have a lot of homegrown talent on that team and some have gotten their big pay day. Taking nothing away from them. I hope the Padres can finally give them some competition in the NL West for the years to come.

Other than Mookie Betts, the Dodgers were absolutely loaded with home grown talent. In fact, this series was a matchup of two teams that excel at developing talent. The Dodgers just keep their talented players longer than the Rays. As for the Padres they are a team on the rise. And as a Giants fans since the days of Willie Mays, I hope that the Padres do give the Dodgers competition in the upcoming years.

I understand Turner wanting to get out there with his teammates for a once in a lifetime moment. I understand the teammates wanting him there. But someone has to be the adult in the room and say no. Heck, he sat next to Dave Roberts for the team picture; Roberts is a cancer survivor and therefore a high risk person. IMO you just can’t do that.

I agree with you.

Other than Mookie Betts, the Dodgers were absolutely loaded with home grown talent. In fact, this series was a matchup of two teams that excel at developing talent. The Dodgers just keep their talented players longer than the Rays. As for the Padres they are a team on the rise. And as a Giants fans since the days of Willie Mays, I hope that the Padres do give the Dodgers competition in the upcoming years.
I agree with you.
I think most people would have done exactly what Turner did, get in the picture. It is a once-in-a-lifetime event I'm sure he was very careful, and don't blame him for it. If he had the flu symptoms people wouldn't think twice, but covid-19 been made into a monster by the media.

That's dumb, what do you gain by pulling him at that point. Another hour is not going to make much of a difference after being around everyone prior.
Also, Why was there a test that resulted in the middle of a game?

no 2021 thread yet so dont know if this goes here or in the future one.......

but what the hell are the white sox doing!!! I respect Tony LaRussa for what hes accomplished but he hasn't managed in 10 years. They had an opportunity to hire 2 managers who recently won World Series titles that shouldn't be available and neither can even get an interview due to Jerry Reinsdorf??? crazy

such a young talented core would thrive under either Hinch or Cora. What happened today is like saying (hypothetically) in early 2000's if LaRussa and Bobby Cox were available and yet you hired someone else

no 2021 thread yet so dont know if this goes here or in the future one.......

but what the hell are the white sox doing!!! I respect Tony LaRussa for what hes accomplished but he hasn't managed in 10 years. They had an opportunity to hire 2 managers who recently won World Series titles that shouldn't be available and neither can even get an interview due to Jerry Reinsdorf??? crazy

such a young talented core would thrive under either Hinch or Cora. What happened today is like saying (hypothetically) in early 2000's if LaRussa and Bobby Cox were available and yet you hired someone else

Two things: Didn't see the let's hire the 76 year old who has managed since 2011. And, it will be interesting to see if and when Hinch and Cora are going to be considered for any managerial openings.

Two things: Didn't see the let's hire the 76 year old who has managed since 2011. And, it will be interesting to see if and when Hinch and Cora are going to be considered for any managerial openings.
I think Hinch is gonna end up with the Tigers.... Cora I wouldn't be shocked if he somehow gets back to Boston

I know at the end of the day people will sa AJ Hinch could and should have done more to stop the cheating as the authoritative figure, but he did smash tvs and monitors and made it clear he was against it. I dont fault Hinch as much as I do the players although I understand as manager its his call

Cora really has had no info on what the Red Sox did..... To me, both managers served their required suspensions. Give them a job

If they really had wanted to punish Hinch and Cora, they would have made them manage the Pirates.

Back