Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume you are just talking about basketball and football there. Because golf, tennis, and baseball are HUGE at Miami and FSU.

UNC is not VERY dominate in baseball but they are ranked 13th in preseason. We recruited 2 of the top golfers in the country this year, as far as football, I dont think players go to programs anymore by the wins they get but by how well the position they play is coached. Hence the reason linebackers come from, Penn State, Notre Dame, and Miami. Carolina is known for certain positions(center, wr, de) which will make them strong in recruiting every year. UNC ranked 6th in recruiting last year. When Butch Davis first went to Miami he didnt start out well but after his first 3 year, his next five went 29-8. Basketball just speaks for itself. I am not arguing with any points made, I am just stating facts.

oh, and btw, I am a huge Va Tech Fan.....lets go hokies. I am not a Clemson fan but hey, they looked good this football season.

I don't consider Texas to be a basketball school. They didn't win it with Durant or AJ. They are nasty this year but I look at them as a football/baseball powerhouse. Carolina simply reloads in basketball and I think they are going to surprise A LOT of folks in football next year.....

That's true about Texas, I guess I'm probably more aware of them because of the Big XII coverage around here. It seems like their BB team gets more press than the UNC FB team.

Toby Gerhart brings the pain!! I hope he gets a chance in NFL and breaks the mold.

sure, those sports are huge at the florida schools but unc has dominated the past couple of years in baseball, then look at their soccer program, look at their mens and womens programs, across the board, they are far more dominant than Miami and FSU.

Your kidding right? UNC has a great basketball program. And probably the best soccer program. But calling them dominant in baseball over Miami and FSU is completely laughable. Those two teams along with Texas, LSU, Witchita, and a few others ARE college baseball each and every year and have been for two decades.

UNC is not VERY dominate in baseball but they are ranked 13th in preseason. We recruited 2 of the top golfers in the country this year, as far as football, I dont think players go to programs anymore by the wins they get but by how well the position they play is coached. Hence the reason linebackers come from, Penn State, Notre Dame, and Miami. Carolina is known for certain positions(center, wr, de) which will make them strong in recruiting every year. UNC ranked 6th in recruiting last year. When Butch Davis first went to Miami he didnt start out well but after his first 3 year, his next five went 29-8. Basketball just speaks for itself. I am not arguing with any points made, I am just stating facts.

oh, and btw, I am a huge Va Tech Fan.....lets go hokies. I am not a Clemson fan but hey, they looked good this football season.

More LBs in the NFL come from the southern schools such as FL, USC, TX, FSU, Miami and more because of speed. Keep in mind recruiting at Miami and South Beach is not the same as UNC. Miami is a private institution that is extremely expensive and on the beach. It is known for churning out NFL players more than just about any other school. Spurrier thought the same thing when he left UF and is now at South Carolina. Guess what, they have gotten better, but still border average. The same thing will happen with UNC.

Comparing UNC sports across the board year in and year out with Miami and FSU just cannot happen. They will have a few decent years, but in the end, schools from Florida get the recruits.

Your kidding right? UNC has a great basketball program. And probably the best soccer program. But calling them dominant in baseball over Miami and FSU is completely laughable. Those two teams along with Texas, LSU, Witchita, and a few others ARE college baseball each and every year and have been for two decades.

More LBs in the NFL come from the southern schools such as FL, USC, TX, FSU, Miami and more because of speed. Keep in mind recruiting at Miami and South Beach is not the same as UNC. Miami is a private institution that is extremely expensive and on the beach. It is known for churning out NFL players more than just about any other school. Spurrier thought the same thing when he left UF and is now at South Carolina. Guess what, they have gotten better, but still border average. The same thing will happen with UNC.

Comparing UNC sports across the board year in and year out with Miami and FSU just cannot happen. They will have a few decent years, but in the end, schools from Florida get the recruits.

I don't know. FSU has taken a downward turn in football along with Miami over the last few years. Basketball, like you said, speaks for itself. UNC's baseball team has come on the last 4 or 5 years. I guess it really depends on if you are talking about recent history or the 80s and 90s....

Comparing UNC baseball to FSU and Miami is NO COMPARISON. Sorry. I have nothing against UNC, but you are talking about 2 teams that are in the college world series almost every single year. As for Football lets not forget as bad as FSU has been this last couple of years, they still beat UNC this year.

I would like to see UNC do well overall, but you cannot compare them to schools that have been dominating forces in college game for 30 years now.

I guarantee UNC takes FSU next year in football and baseball, actually I will throw golf in there too(just trying to stir the pot). Here are the stats....We have picked up one of the best offensive lines in football for 2010 and are not losing much for the rest of the team. We will have our red shirt freshman as the starting qb, although yates may be better with a stronger O line. I think Bowden was a great coach and I hate he is leaving this way. But the last 10 years have been struggles for him and FSU. Miami wishes they had Butch Davis back because he finds a way to beat them every year. Lets go Hokies!!

The last few years have been struggles for FSU. No doubt about it. Yet we still beat UNC almost every one of those years. You can guarantee all you want, history shows exactly what will come of the UNC football program compared to that of FSU over the next 10 years and baseball I wont even bring up because we both know you are kidding yourself. You can argue away, I am done. I love your alum spirit, that is great.

You actually have a far better chance in golf than you do football or baseball long term.

One quick note, while FSU has been struggling in football, they are not in baseball and have not been. Their baseball program continues to get top recruits year after year.

The last few years have been struggles for FSU. No doubt about it. Yet we still beat UNC almost every one of those years. You can guarantee all you want, history shows exactly what will come of the UNC football program compared to that of FSU over the next 10 years and baseball I wont even bring up because we both know you are kidding yourself. You can argue away, I am done. I love your alum spirit, that is great.

I am not arguing at all with you on this one JB, I like your alum spirit too. I love college sports. I just like it when people throw out what they know or think about their team they root for. I dont want you to be mad, its all in good fun. I really am not kidding, I feel UNC will win ACC in baseball and def beat FSU in football.

I am not arguing at all with you on this one JB, I like your alum spirit too. I love college sports. I just like it when people throw out what they know or think about their team they root for. I dont want you to be mad, its all in good fun. I really am not kidding, I feel UNC will win ACC in baseball and def beat FSU in football.

Im not mad or arguing. They lost to FSU in football this year in one of FSU's worst years EVER. That says a lot!

As for baseball. UNC is good right now. Quite good. But year in and year out they have no chance against a national powerhouse that has been one for 30 years. Look at the baseball recruiting over the last 5 years.

One quick note, while FSU has been struggling in football, they are not in baseball and have not been. Their baseball program continues to get top recruits year after year.

that is true, they do get top recruits year after year, as they should its a great program. Carolinas baseball recruits for 2010. 5, 6, and 15. Florida State has one player in the top 25 and he is actually #25.

Im not mad or arguing. They lost to FSU in football this year in one of FSU's worst years EVER. That says a lot!

As for baseball. UNC is good right now. Quite good. But year in and year out they have no chance against a national powerhouse that has been one for 30 years. Look at the baseball recruiting over the last 5 years.

You are right, they did lose to FSU but FSU didnt have as bad of a team as you are saying, they have quite a few great players on their team this year, they just didnt gel with one another. I think every program has the opportunity to become a powerhouse, it just takes consistency and right now Carolina is showing it. Not that FSU isnt.

Please Note: My wife is an FSU fan.....haha

that is true, they do get top recruits year after year, as they should its a great program. Carolinas baseball recruits for 2010. 5, 6, and 15. Florida State has one player in the top 25 and he is actually #25.

You are looking at just 1 year. Look back over the last couple because that is who plays. When UNC wins a national title in baseball they will get the praise. Right now they are a good team trying to compete with iconic teams.

You are right, they did lose to FSU but FSU didnt have as bad of a team as you are saying, they have quite a few great players on their team this year, they just didnt gel with one another. I think every program has the opportunity to become a powerhouse, it just takes consistency and right now Carolina is showing it. Not that FSU isnt.

Please Note: My wife is an FSU fan.....haha

FSU had the worst year they have had in 2 decades this year. They did not have a horrible year by UNC standards because they are bowl bound. But for a national powerhouse, losing 5-6 games is train wreck.

Im still confused on where UNC is showing consistency in football? THis was said to be there year with FSU and Miami down. They went 8-5 and only 4-4 in a horribly weak conference. Losing to both VA and NC State and FSU along with the ranked Ga Tech and Pitt. How is that consistency? I guess it is consistency for that program, but that is not what brings in recruits to a school trying to step out to elite status. Sorry.

You are looking at just 1 year. Look back over the last couple because that is who plays. When UNC wins a national title in baseball they will get the praise. Right now they are a good team trying to compete with iconic teams.

FSU had the worst year they have had in 2 decades this year. They did not have a horrible year by UNC standards because they are bowl bound. But for a national powerhouse, losing 5-6 games is train wreck.

Im still confused on where UNC is showing consistency in football? THis was said to be there year with FSU and Miami down. They went 8-5 and only 4-4 in a horribly weak conference. Losing to both VA and NC State and FSU along with the ranked Ga Tech and Pitt. How is that consistency? I guess it is consistency for that program, but that is not what brings in recruits to a school trying to step out to elite status. Sorry.

As far as football goes, you are right, I just think we will be top in a few years. But that is an opinion. As far as baseball the past few years Carolina has made it to the CWS, not won it but FSU has not done any better. I was very disappointed in the football season, and I picked FSU to win their bowl cause I want Bowden to have his last game.

Toby Gerhart brings the pain!! I hope he gets a chance in NFL and breaks the mold.

That guy is awesome, I enjoyed watching him ALL year, I hope he does well in the NFL

Eh, both UNC and Florida State baseball teams are lucky they don't play against Oregon State.
naanaa.gif

Eh, both UNC and Florida State baseball teams are lucky they don't play against Oregon State.
naanaa.gif
[/QUOTE

haha, They do have a good program also

I've enjoyed watching all three in the College World Series over the past few years. Hopefully they'll get back this year. Last CWS in Rosenblatt.

Boomer Sooner
that was a good win for OU, best game I've seen Landry Jones play.

Hopefully he didn't get injured on that last play. Got up gimpy. With the playing time he got this year, they'll be in good shape next year.

Hopefully he didn't get injured on that last play. Got up gimpy. With the playing time he got this year, they'll be in good shape next year.

I saw that, he should have just taken a knee instead of backing up.:confused2:

Jones had me worried after Bradford got hurt, I really thought that OU could just plug anybody into their system and be successful but he really struggled. It looks like he's getting it figured out though, I thought they said he threw for 400+ today.

On a down note MU is getting the crap kicked out of them by Navy, yet another reason for me to hate on the Tigers.

I lost the OU game . . .

I picked my games scientifically.

First, I picked all of the favorites. Then for confidence I arranged the bar graphs to where it was almost all on one side as my high point games, and the ones that were 50-50 my low point games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back