Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I do know after this season is the SEC isn't that much better than any other conference anymore. College football is evolving for the better of the game and the sooner they split the money fairly among all schools the better off the game will be. Bill Hancock is a disgrace to our country.

Spoken like a true small school fan. I respect that. No conferences were stacked this year, but tell me another conference that had 2 of the best 3 teams in the country in it? There are not any.

That is crazy when you have FSU, Miami, and Va Tech in the conference. OUtside of Texas, who would make a run THIS year at those schools on normal years. Outside of texas and OK, the Big 12 is average the last few years. Those two programs are awesome and the conference overall is up there, but not to where the middle of the road could handle those 3 schools year in and year out.

No way is it because of overworked or anything else. The two small schools and Cincy to make a third got exposed this year. Some years they have it like when Boise made its run and other years they dont and this was one of those years. Both of those two teams would have been spanked by any major top 10 program this year and it showed. Your take throughout this thread that TCU was deserving of playing with Texas, UF, Alabama, and more was off for this year in my opinion.

I think you over rate how good those teams are. Miami has been good in the past but this year they were not great, Clemson won the ACC right? Big East ? WV got smoked in their bowl game by what you posted earlier was a bad FSU team. Cinci I never thought was as good as the rating they had. I didn't see anything there that impressed me. I don't think a playoff is the only answer. What I think should happen is schools should be required to schedule at least one game with a non-conference top 10 school the following year if they end the season in the top 10, this means that a Florida or a Texas cannot ignore a request from a Boise or a TCU to schedule a game. Right now these bigger programs will not schedule these schools out of fear that they will lose too much if they come in and beat them. This would eliminate some of the cake walk games scheduled early in the year against Northeast Southeast State and provide some real competition, you would see Florida having to either play Texas or USC in October or play Hawaii, Utah or Boise or whoever it is that previous year that made an impact.

I am not a fan of TCU or Texas or Florida or any school really I watch it all - I did watch TCU this year several times and I can tell you that game against Boise was the worst game they have played in several years and they were definitely flat and tight.

I think you over rate how good those teams are. Miami has been good in the past but this year they were not great,

You did not see this year. You said any year.

This is your quote

The truth is that I would expect a middle of the road Big 12 or SEC team to beat just about any Big East or ACC team in any given year with few exceptions

You did not see this year. You said any year.

This is your quote

The truth is that I would expect a middle of the road Big 12 or SEC team to beat just about any Big East or ACC team in any given year with few exceptions

With few exceptions over the years, Miami in the 80s, Pitt with Dorsett in the 70s, FSU when Bowden had them going in the 90s, I think that is true. Not too impressed by ACC or Big East football overall most years.

With few exceptions over the years, Miami in the 80s, Pitt with Dorsett in the 70s, FSU when Bowden had them going in the 90s, I think that is true. Not too impressed by ACC or Big East football overall most years.

Most years meaning the last few obviously. FSU was the MOST dominant team of a decade. Not too long ago. I mean they were in the top 4 for 15 straight years. How much more dominant can you be? That record will most likely never be broken.

But then again you were impressed by Brady Quinn, TCU, and said that the SEC would only have 1 pro QB out of this current crop not realizing that they have atleast 2 locks for 1st rounders, so I will take it for what it is worth.

Edit - In an ironic twist....

Ole Miss QB Jevan Snead to enter NFL draft - College Football - Rivals.com

Last edited:
Most years meaning the last few obviously. FSU was the MOST dominant team of a decade. Not too long ago. I mean they were in the top 4 for 15 straight years. How much more dominant can you be? That record will most likely never be broken.

But then again you were impressed by Brady Quinn, TCU, and said that the SEC would only have 1 pro QB out of this current crop not realizing that they have atleast 2 locks for 1st rounders, so I will take it for what it is worth.

Edit - In an ironic twist....

Ole Miss QB Jevan Snead to enter NFL draft - College Football - Rivals.com

I never said I was impressed with Brady Quinn, I just thought he was thrown out there too soon and that he could develop into a better QB if given the time. I don't think any QB in the league could win in Cleveland right now. Just as I wouldn't judge Florida by how bad they looked against Alabama or how bad Texas looked on an off day against Nebraska I am not going to say TCU is a terrible team or undeserving after one bad performance by an admittedly marginal QB in Dalton. Snead transferred from Texas because he couldn't beat out McCoy. Tebow will be taken in the first round but will never play QB in the NFL. Who am I missing?

I never said I was impressed with Brady Quinn, I just thought he was thrown out there too soon and that he could develop into a better QB if given the time. I don't think any QB in the league could win in Cleveland right now. Just as I wouldn't judge Florida by how bad they looked against Alabama or how bad Texas looked on an off day against Nebraska I am not going to say TCU is a terrible team or undeserving after one bad performance by an admittedly marginal QB in Dalton. Snead transferred from Texas because he couldn't beat out McCoy. Tebow will be taken in the first round but will never play QB in the NFL. Who am I missing?

Actually if you go back and read the thread, what you said about Brady Quinn was a little more than that. As for who you are missing you said "there was only 1 sec QB that would make it to the next level". How about Arkansas QB which is the one you pointed out. You never mentioned Snead. But your TCU posts in this very thread all season has been that they were as good as the big boys and they got their time to shine. They failed. Enough said. Could they be good....Maybe, but they had their shot at the top 5 and they lost.

In college football most years, teams get 1 shot. If they lose they are done. The big 12 and the SEC are kings right now and not a small school on the planet can have an argument against them. They won their conferences without losing and playing a harder schedule than most. TCU beat everybody that they SHOULD, and when faced with tough competition (even marginally so) they got beat and looked horrible. Everybody has bad days but in college football that is the end of the season. They did not belong in a BCS game this year and that was apparent by that game.

You being not impressed with this team or that team means nothing because it is clear you watch certain teams and miss others. My point earlier in this thread was that TCU would have lost atleast 4 games playing in the Big 12 or the SEC this year and there is NO QUESTION of that now. Sure we will never know all the records, but TCU ran the table and made all the moves to say that they were the best. But when push came to shove they were not. They got beat. Looked below average in doing so and did not in anyway belong in a BCS game.

Tebow will be taken in the first round?

Kevin

He shouldnt be, but someone will take him.

I don't see him as a QB at all. Maybe a nice H back kind of guy like Owens used to be with Dolphins, or the Badger kid with the Texans, but that's not worth a #1. Tough kid, big heart, but by no means an NFL arm.

Not from what I've seen of him, though I don't see a lot of SEC football.

Kevin

I don't see him as a QB at all. Maybe a nice H back kind of guy like Owens used to be with Dolphins, or the Badger kid with the Texans, but that's not worth a #1. Tough kid, big heart, but by no means an NFL arm.

Not from what I've seen of him, though I don't see a lot of SEC football.

Kevin

That is what people are projecting. Most experts say he wont make it past pick 30. That is the over under. I think H-Back or TE.

Though I'm not a College Football fanatic, I save most of my energy for Packers' games, I'm looking forward to this game tonight. I enjoyed the heck out of the AL/FL game and was really impressed with Ingram. I hope he has a great game and I'm going to imagine Ted Thompson could somehow finagle a way to line him up behind Rodgers next year in the Packers' backfield. I've watched Grant play pretty well down the stretch as a hammer in the cold, and this guy could be a beast near the end of the year in the Packers' offense. Does he catch the ball well?

While it seems far fetched, the Packers have a bunch of draft picks and a boat load of money. Most likely he drafts a corner or an OT, but a guy can dream.

Kevin

You gotta wait a little while on Ingram. He has time in school left. Im looking forward to this game as well. I dont have a horse in the race being as though my school was terrible this year.

But I am hoping for a good game.

You gotta wait a little while on Ingram. He has time in school left. Im looking forward to this game as well. I dont have a horse in the race being as though my school was terrible this year.

But I am hoping for a good game.

Whoa. Thought the battered Dell gave up the ghost there for a few minutes.

I thought Ingram was a Jr. Boy, two turnovers and only 6 points for TX. That could come back to haunt them.

Kevin

That first possession could be deadly for Texas depending on how the X-rays look. It didn't look good the way McCoy was holding his arm.

Ingram is a sophmore and this game is getting interesting. McCoy out, but the Texas D looks solid. But you are right, they need to capitalize.

With McCoy out, the Texas offense looks lost. Hopefully they can get things started, but it will be a bit disappointing if the NC is basically decided because of an injury.

With McCoy out, the Texas offense looks lost. Hopefully they can get things started, but it will be a bit disappointing if the NC is basically decided because of an injury.

I agree, but McCoy did not play defense for them. While field position plays a role in it, Alabama is dominating the lines right now.

What a way to give up a score!

Kevin

I agree, but McCoy did not play defense for them. While field position plays a role in it, Alabama is dominating the lines right now.

That's true but with the field position UT was getting I'm pretty confident that UT would have put more points on the board.

They weren't dominating until McCoy was knocked out which knocked all the air out of Texas. You got to figure Texas scores at least one TD instead of 2 FG in those first two possessions. The Texas receiver dropping that TD didn't help either.

I figured Alabama would easily win the game, but I at least wanted to watch a competitive game. This game is over at the half.

That weren't dominating until McCoy was knocked out which knocked all the air out of Texas. You got to figure Texas scores at least one TD instead of 2 FG in those first two possessions. The Texas receiver dropping that TD didn't help either.

I figured Alabama would easily win the game, but I at least wanted to watch a competitive game. This game is over at the half.

I too wanted to see a good game. But I look at it this way. He got knocked out very early. It wasn't McCoy that dropped the pass and it wasn't McCoy that didnt tackle Ingram.

The game surely would be closer, but injuries are part of the game. I hope they make it closer.

And one more thing. That was a horrible play call by Mack Brown at the end of the half with a backup QB in the game. Flat OUT HORRIBLE!!! He said it "was the same as running a draw"...Then run a draw and cut your losses.

And one more thing. That was a horrible play call by Mack Brown at the end of the half with a backup QB in the game. Flat OUT HORRIBLE!!! He said it "was the same as running a draw"...Then run a draw and cut your losses.

Yeah, flipping a ball into the middle of the O and D lines is as safe as a hand off. LOL

Kevin

I too wanted to see a good game. But I look at it this way. He got knocked out very early. It wasn't McCoy that dropped the pass and it wasn't McCoy that didnt tackle Ingram.

The game surely would be closer, but injuries are part of the game. I hope they make it closer.

I agree. But the loss of your star player, let alone QB, is deflating to the whole team. So I put some of the defensive let down on that, but I agree that injuries shouldn't change the way you play, but that tends to happen when its your star guy.

I also agree with your thoughts on that play call. Terrible. They should have never called that timeout before that play in the first place. Get into the half down 17 - 6 and try to rally the troops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back