Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it probably will not happen. The bowl system is set up to generate revenue, but the wild card no one thinks about is the leagues that now have a championship game. Those are HUGE revenue generators for those leagues and they would be cut from the mix for sure. At my age I will be shocked if a true National Champion is crowned in the BCS division during my lifetime.

you could still generate the revenue. I think there are 35 bowl games. each game in a playoff could still be sponsored by the same sponsors, just like if it were the bowl games and of course the championship game would be sponsored by Tostitos, no one would lose money, its a win win

that's the whole point of OEM's arguement...take the subjectivity out of the equation and get a system in place

that sounds good in theory but what happens when one of those schools is really bad one year? The name doesn't make the team. Just ask Notre Dame. College football scheduling is done years in advance between AD's and they have no way of knowing who is going to be good one year to the next. Look at the Alambama v Penn St. matchup this year. That game/series was scheduled a few years ago when PSU was thought to be 'back' and look at how bad PSU was this year when the 2 teams played?

I think there is far too much emphasis placed on having a perfect season. Yes TCU and Auburn both went indefeated, but who did they play to get there? Looking at their scheduls Auburn played alot better competition than TCU, but they also played Arkansas St. and Louisinan-Monroe. I am not a big follower of college footbal but I think an arguement can be made there are teams out there who finished with 1 or 2 losses who are "better" than TCU but did not remain perfect and suffered for it. I would like to see more of these powehouse schools play each other during the season making it easir to sort things out. I know the schools will never do it, they always want one or two "cupcakes" on their schdule in the beginning of the season to pad their numbers and schedule. Maybe get rid of the cupcake games, get some games like Florida vs USC and Oklahoma vs Alabama during the season and really see who are the best teams.

that's the whole point of OEM's arguement...take the subjectivity out of the equation and get a system in place

that sounds good in theory but what happens when one of those schools is really bad one year? The name doesn't make the team. Just ask Notre Dame. College football scheduling is done years in advance between AD's and they have no way of knowing who is going to be good one year to the next. Look at the Alambama v Penn St. matchup this year. That game/series was scheduled a few years ago when PSU was thought to be 'back' and look at how bad PSU was this year when the 2 teams played?

With a ranking system being the judge, the subjectivity NEVER is out of the equation.

exactly the need for a playoff system
With a ranking system being the judge, the subjectivity NEVER is out of the equation.

exactly the need for a playoff system

How though? The top three from each and every conference get in? Top 2 in each conference? Only Conference winners? How do you make it an object system that does not subjectively eliminate a Boise St or TCU.

what would be the harm with using the existing BCS structure and taking say the top 8 teams and structure a playoff format from there using the existing bowl structure?
How though? The top three from each and every conference get in? Top 2 in each conference? Only Conference winners? How do you make it an object system that does not subjectively eliminate a Boise St or TCU.

what would be the harm with using the existing BCS structure and taking say the top 8 teams and structure a playoff format from there using the existing bowl structure?

What about the gripe then from the 9th ranked team? Or what if South Carolina beat Auburn in the SEC Championship game and won the SEC. Auburn would still be ranked higher and mostly likely still in the top 8. South Carolina won the conference, so why are they not in the playoffs?

Because then teams 9-15 say the same thing as teams 3-7 say now.

How many conferences are there now?

you'll always have that no matter what limit you set. you have that now with 64 teams for the basketball tourney. like #65 is really going to matter in the grand scheme of things? so we should have all the FBS eligible teams fight it out in a massive free for al playoff system so no one feels left out? Look at how D-II does it, why can't that be put into play for D-1?

What about the gripe then from the 9th ranked team? Or what if South Carolina beat Auburn in the SEC Championship game and won the SEC. Auburn would still be ranked higher and mostly likely still in the top 8. South Carolina won the conference, so why are they not in the playoffs?

Because then teams 9-15 say the same thing as teams 3-7 say now.

you'll always have that no matter what limit you set. you have that now with 64 teams for the basketball tourney. like #65 is really going to matter in the grand scheme of things? so we should have all the FBS eligible teams fight it out in a massive free for al playoff system so no one feels left out? Look at how D-II does it, why can't that be put into play for D-1?

Because in D-II when a team is left out it is not national news. Leaving a team out of a tournament is no different than it is now in terms of "feelings".

The truth is that as long as subjective voters are in charge of who wins the championship, a playoff system, bowl system, or anything else is irrelevant.

true. but whether it's national news or not someone is still going to be jaded over being left out if you worry about 'what about team 13 in a 12 team playoff system.' I think a playoff system will help mitigate some of the subjectivity and may actually even generate more $$$ than the current bowl system.

Because in D-II when a team is left out it is not national news. Leaving a team out of a tournament is no different than it is now in terms of "feelings".

The truth is that as long as subjective voters are in charge of who wins the championship, a playoff system, bowl system, or anything else is irrelevant.

You take the top the two from each conference, ok maybe just one from the Big-East :bulgy-eyes: plus the highest non-AQ, set it up using the existing bowl games. Rose Fiesta Sugar and Orange would still be utilized so the money is still pouring in and then wrap it all up in a winner take all NC game that truly means something.

To those who that whine about being left out, well you weren't good enough to be in your conference championship so better luck next year. There is so much freaking money to be made using a playoff system it's rediculous and the season would not be any longer than it already is. The last conference games were Thanksgiving weekend and we just finished up last night, that's over a month which is plenty of time for a 12 team playoff.

Last edited:
You take the top the two from each conference, ok maybe just one from the Big-East :bulgy-eyes: plus the highest non-AQ, set it up using the existing bowl games. Rose Fiesta Sugar and Orange would still be utilized so the money is still pouring in and then wrap it all up in a winner take all NC game that truly means something.

To those who that whine about being left out, well you weren't good enough to be in your conference championship so better luck next year. There is so much freaking money to be made using a playoff system it's rediculous and the season would not be any longer than it already is. The last conference games were Thanksgiving weekend and we just finished up last night, that's over a month which is plenty of time for a 12 team playoff.

What about the Big Ten this year? Three way tie for the conference title. What if both Boise and TCU were undefeated? Because South Carolina Qualified for the SEC Champ game, does that mean that Arkansas, who was a better team than SoCar, would be left out?

Does the Big East or ACC deserve to have two teams make it?

What about the Big 10, top two.

What if Boise and TCU were undefeated, take the higher ranked one.

Yes, to the ACC and Big-East, even though they are down as a whole there are some teams on the rise in those conferences. Arkansas was the most over-rated SEC team this year. So to answer your question yes, they didn't make it the conference championship therefore they should not be eligible for the NC.

What about the Big Ten this year? Three way tie for the conference title. What if both Boise and TCU were undefeated? Because South Carolina Qualified for the SEC Champ game, does that mean that Arkansas, who was a better team than SoCar, would be left out?

Does the Big East or ACC deserve to have two teams make it?

What about the Big 10, top two.

Wisconsin, OSU, and MSU all finished the season with the same exact record. How do you pick two? By the BCS rankings? How do we factor in if Notre Dame goes 11-1. The playoff system will not work any better than the BCS. Do we take away games from the regular season? Or do we play the games in December?

Wisconsin, OSU, and MSU all finished the season with the same exact record. How do you pick two? By the BCS rankings? How do we factor in if Notre Dame goes 11-1. The playoff system will not work any better than the BCS. Do we take away games from the regular season? Or do we play the games in December?

You take the top AQ schools and keep the BCS rankings. Fill all the other spots from the top down until you hit 12 or 16. There is your field.

Tapatalk- doesn't cure a slice...

Bottom line is it could work. Someone makes a lot of money back at the NCAA offices to figure out the details. But the bottomer line is it will never happen. We can argue and discuss it all we want but money is what talks and what controls the BCS. Everything else is BS.

Common opponet record, higher poll rankings, prettiest cheerleaders. ND would be counted under the 1 nonAQ I mentioned in the earlier post. No need to take games away from the regular season as like I mentioned before there has been over a month since the regular season ended, which is plenty of time to fit games in. The claim that a playoff will not work better than the BCS is outlandish, I guess every other sport that has a playoff and we don't here complaints about who was the champion was doesn't work either. Heck even NASCAR and the NHRA have a "playoff" I think if racing can figure it out surely the NCAA can.

I think there is far too much emphasis placed on having a perfect season. Yes TCU and Auburn both went indefeated, but who did they play to get there? Looking at their scheduls Auburn played alot better competition than TCU, but they also played Arkansas St. and Louisinan-Monroe. I am not a big follower of college footbal but I think an arguement can be made there are teams out there who finished with 1 or 2 losses who are "better" than TCU but did not remain perfect and suffered for it. I would like to see more of these powehouse schools play each other during the season making it easir to sort things out. I know the schools will never do it, they always want one or two "cupcakes" on their schdule in the beginning of the season to pad their numbers and schedule. Maybe get rid of the cupcake games, get some games like Florida vs USC and Oklahoma vs Alabama during the season and really see who are the best teams.

For the record, over the past 10 years Alabama has played (in the regular season) UCLA, Oklahoma (ranked #8 and #3), Florida State, Clemson (#9), Virginia Tech (#7), and Penn State. Next year we have Penn State again and Michigan after that. Like someone else said, we schedule games years in advance so we can't control how good they are when it comes time to play them. And sure, we play a couple cupcake games, but with an SEC schedule I'm not sure what else you want. We've been scheduling the big boys.

What Boise and TCU need to do is take the Florida State approach when they were trying to gain recognition - anyone, anywhere. See it's kind of a pickle. Teams like Alabama have nothing to gain from going to play Boise. Yet Boise has to play someone to get respect. It might not be good for business, but Boise has to go play anyone, anywhere. If not, the argument will remain that anyone can get up for one game a year.

And is it unfair that an undefeated Boise or TCU doesn't get in the National Championship game? Maybe so. Would it be unfair if they did get in? Absolutely. Since this is a golf forum, lets put things in perspective.

Me and JB are playing each other in the Golf National Championship game! JB beat Anthony Kim, Dustin Johnson, and Tiger Woods to get to the big game. I beat GG, TC, and Hanks! Oh and by the way, One-T beat Robert Garrigus and Zach Johnson, but he lost to Phil Mickelson. Rats, that means I'm undefeated so I make the title game. Phew. Good thing I shot that 95 to win all my games.

So Cam Newton declares. JB I would like your thoughts on this. Where will he be drafted and will he be under center in the NFL?

So Cam Newton declares. JB I would like your thoughts on this. Where will he be drafted and will he be under center in the NFL?

Fairley will be declaring tomorrow too. AU will not repeat as SEC West champs much less SEC and National Champs. I think Fairley will go in the top 4 picks and Cam late 1st round.

I'd look for Cam to actually be in the shotgun more than under center! Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back