Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This one is needed with so many fans on THP.

Oklahoma losing yesterday was a big one. This could be an interesting season. As much as it pains me to admit it, UF will be simply AWESOME!

We will find out how awesome UF is when they get past there cupcake of NON Conference teams they play. I don't think they will rebeat because this year they are missing Percy Harvin who Teabow the past few years has relied on so much in big games to make a play. Texas is going to be the team to watch out for this year. They feel they got ripped off last year and Colt McCoy is going to show this year he is the best QB in college football. The other team you got to watch out for this year on running the table is ND. They really only have 1 big game and thats to USC and if they happen to somehow win that game, with the media hype they get theres no way they wouldn't make it in the NC game. USC and OSU is a huge game this weekend for college football because the winner of that game has a great chance of going all the way. With the SEC and the love they get for being the best conference in america you got to bet that there will be a bunch of teams bying for that #1 shot. Alabama proved last night they can beat a good team now can they keep that up. I think the team to watch out for in the SEC this year is Tennessee I dont know why though. I can just see something special happening with them. Then Ole Miss with Snead at QB and the only team to beat Flordia last year if they can play a season like that they will put a hurting on teams.
This is why i love college football any team on any given Saturday can go out and beat ANYONE.

But when its all said in done I can see a Texas VS USC matchup for the NC.

• Admin
USC with a true freshman QB will not run the table. ND playing in a hard conference would love a minimum of 3 games. So they will stumble somewhere. The NC will be UF or any other SEC winner vs Texas.

While Harvin was a major talent, you will see that their coach, like Spurrier before him, knows that it is the system that wins, and always injured Percy made little difference.

If you got back last year and watch the SEC Title game and the NC game Harvin was the main difference maker in those games.

Barkley isn't the key to that team its there RB. If they can go to OSU this week then to South Bend and win those 2 games the only team that should beat them is CAL but USC loses to teams that should never lose to EVERY year.

ND plays USC thats just about it this year everybody else on there schedule arn't that good. I'm not saying that they would deserve to go but they could easily win all there games and surprise people. Weis is a great coach if he doesnt over think things and just has his players going back to play football.

Flordia will lose TWO games this year one to a SEC team and the other to either FSU or Miami.

OU losing was a big shocker. It is always amazing to me that a team in the top tier of programs, only has one guy that can play QB. I'm not saying that a backup should come in and win a Heisman, but they should at least be able to score against a weaker opponent. Then again, early in the season the only thing we have to go on is potential (for the rankings), so maybe BYU is just a better team.

I agree with some coaches and media who have said we shouldn't have rankings until after 5-6 weeks of the season. You just don't know who is good and who isn't. It would never happen though. There will always be some blogger or website who will do a ranking so that is what people will consider to be the rankings.

Just my $.02 on a couple of things. Neither Notre Dame, Ohio St., or Southern Cal will go undefeated and play for a NC. I am not saying I know who will, but it won't be either of those three. I kind of like Southern Cal and hope that they do, but they are too young and have too many questions. They other two just aren't that good and will lose a game or two somewhere along the line.

• Admin
I agree, and many experts are picking BYU to run the table. They have a very hard out of conference schedule and should they win those games, they will be a BCS buster team for sure. OU was not dominating with their Heisman winner up only 3 points I believe, so I put the "blame" on BYU winning and not OU losing "because of injury"

I was one of the unfortunate few who roots for a big conference school and had to watch them lose yesterday. UGA's defense was stellar. They really only gave up points on horrible field position and held one of last years best offenses in the nation to substandard numbers. Too bad the offense was anemic. Defense doesn't win championships, complete teams do. Oh well, the SEC could still be won if UGA can play well from here out and pull of the monster upset against Florida... yeah right!

The Bama/Va Tech game was a good one as well as the BYU/OU game. I love college football even when my team loses!

I know this is "supposed" to be for NCAA Division I. But it does say "College Football" so I am including MY school in this thread! (Pittsburg State, NCAA D-II)

http://www.pittstategorillas.com/home/detail.dot?id=124033

McCoy Sparks No. 5 Pitt State to 41-13 Win Over No. 7 Chadron

PITTSBURG, KS -- John McCoy accounted for 324 total yards and five touchdowns to spark fifth-ranked Pittsburg State University to a decisive 41-13 win over No. 7 Chadron State College Saturday afternoon (Sept. 5) at Brandenburg Field/Carnie Smith Stadium.

The Eagles (1-1) scored first in the game on Travis Atter's 52-yard field goal two-and-a half minutes into the game, but the Gorillas rattled off 41 of game's next 48 points to take a commanding advantage.

McCoy scored on a three-yard run late in the first quarter to give Pitt State a 6-3 edge, before the Gorillas exploded for 28 second-quarter points.

McCoy fired a 28-yard TD pass to quarterback/wide receiver Zac Dickey as well as a pair of scoring tosses to Kendall Fisher -- from 42 and 26 yards -- in the period, the last coming with 0.6 seconds remaining in the first half.

McCoy finished the game 13 of 20 passing for 212 yards and three touchdowns. He also was the top ground gainer in the contest, rushing 15 times for 112 yards. He added a 17-yard TD jaunt in the third quarter.

Pitt State, which piled up 590 yards of total offense in a 42-13 win Central Oklahoma on Aug. 29, piled up 426 yards against Chadron.

Fisher finished the game with five catches for a game-high 97 yards and two scores for Pitt State.

The Gorilla defense forced four turnovers -- two interceptions and two fumbles -- and blocked a field goal in the game, while limiting the Eagles to 33 rushing yards in the contest.

Alex Kuhlman led the way for the Pitt State defense with eight tackles a fumble recovery and an interception.

Garrett Treffer completed 28 of 52 passes for 254 yards and a touchdown for Chadron, with Isaac Stockton snaring seven catches for a team-leading 63 yards.

The Gorillas will travel to Kansas City, Mo., to face defending MIAA champion Northwest Missouri State University in the conference opener in The Fall Classic at Arrowhead VIII on Sept. 12. The eighth-ranked Bearcats will bring a 1-1 game into the contest.

resize_image

While the first half was not impressive, I did like the 2nd half that Alabama played....
I am a lot less worried with McElroy than I was with last years Wilson....

Regardless, football season is here and I will enjoy every minute..

Roll Tide!!

I agree, and many experts are picking BYU to run the table. They have a very hard out of conference schedule and should they win those games, they will be a BCS buster team for sure. OU was not dominating with their Heisman winner up only 3 points I believe, so I put the "blame" on BYU winning and not OU losing "because of injury"

OU lost because their offensive line is awful. Bradford had all day to throw last year except for a couple of games when some heat was put on him and they lost those 2 games. OU is gonna be in for a long year if something doesn't happen with their ol.

This is why I hate College Football...

Top teams playing middle schools.

/rant

Bradford was hugely overrated last year and never should have won the Heisman. Tebow or McCoy should have taken it home.

The LSU - Washington game was MUCH closer than the score indicates. LSU almost got taken out by a team that hasn't won since 2007.

Although Texas thumped ULM, the pass defense showed some weakness (from what I could tell from GameTracker - game wasn't televised here). That was what killed us last year. I hope the Longhorns get that leak sealed before the conference schedule begins.

You are right Harry. Tebow (I hate saying this) should have won it again last year. The voters did not want to have a repeat winner to preserve history. Especially knowing that he could win it this year too.

Bradford was hugely overrated last year and never should have won the Heisman. Tebow or McCoy should have taken it home.

The LSU - Washington game was MUCH closer than the score indicates. LSU almost got taken out by a team that hasn't won since 2007.

Although Texas thumped ULM, the pass defense showed some weakness (from what I could tell from GameTracker - game wasn't televised here). That was what killed us last year. I hope the Longhorns get that leak sealed before the conference schedule begins.

I saw the game. Texas blew a coverage which resulted in a 75 yard td. That happens occasionally. Overall the defense played very good.

Why do you think Bradford is overrated? He has had a great college career and I bet he gets drafted higher than Tebow or McCoy.

Last edited:

I didn't read past your first sentence, because the ony way anyone says something like that is if 1, they never watched the games or 2. they are a rabid fan of some other team and can't be objective. Sorry I didn't read the rest of it.

I didn't read past your first sentence, because the ony way anyone says something like that is if 1, they never watched the games or 2. they are a rabid fan of some other team and can't be objective. Sorry I didn't read the rest of it.

Actually just about every one of the media experts felt the same way. I have no horse in the race, and feel the same way as well.

This is why I hate College Football...

Top teams playing middle schools.

/rant
The non-conference games these days are like pre-season games in the NFL, completely meaningless. Scheduling patsies early on to avoid a loss is a joke. Give Oklahoma credit for playing a real team this weekend, in my opinion they are all still even.

The non-conference games these days are like pre-season games in the NFL, completely meaningless. Scheduling patsies early on to avoid a loss is a joke. Give Oklahoma credit for playing a real team this weekend, in my opinion they are all still even.

So does that mean that tougher conferences should get all the credit? I mean the SEC (again not my favorite conference) teams play a harder schedule than anybody else, should they be allowed some patsies because of it? My school plays a very hard non-conference schedule every year, and I wish they would schedule a few weaker opponents. Including scheduling that very same school you guys just lost to. However, keep in mind that the schedules are made years in advance and I am not sure you can always bash a school for it everytime.

But why is it that when any big school loses early, its always the same song that comes out? GA, Va Tech, and others all say the exact same thing. All the schools still lost. Truly great schools can win regardless of losing early. While I do not think OK is one of those schools this year due to interior line issues on both sides, if they are truly great, they can win out and still be there.

Actually just about every one of the media experts felt the same way. I have no horse in the race, and feel the same way as well.

It is no secret that the national media is biased toward certain teams and programs, that plays a part in this. If Bradford were playing at Notre Dame or USC then he would have won two Heisman's already.

It is no secret that the national media is biased toward certain teams and programs, that plays a part in this. If Bradford were playing at Notre Dame or USC then he would have won two Heisman's already.

Really? The media is biased against a huge program like OK? They seemed to be working for them last year. I am guessing that you may be a little biased as well right? I hate U of Florida with a passion. Yet, it is hard for ANYBODY to not say that Tebow has deserved the Heisman when he won and that he or McCoy deserved it last year.

I'm being a homer here, but you're correct about the media bias. Vince Young should have won the Heisman instead of Reggie Bush. USC was being touted as the best college football team ever, blah, blah.

I don't know how anyone can say that Bradford is overrated. He has had a great college career and in some NFL mock drafts is the number one pick. At the worst a top five.

So does that mean that tougher conferences should get all the credit? I mean the SEC (again not my favorite conference) teams play a harder schedule than anybody else, should they be allowed some patsies because of it? My school plays a very hard non-conference schedule every year, and I wish they would schedule a few weaker opponents. Including scheduling that very same school you guys just lost to. However, keep in mind that the schedules are made years in advance and I am not sure you can always bash a school for it everytime.

But why is it that when any big school loses early, its always the same song that comes out? GA, Va Tech, and others all say the exact same thing. All the schools still lost. Truly great schools can win regardless of losing early. While I do not think OK is one of those schools this year due to interior line issues on both sides, if they are truly great, they can win out and still be there.

I think that the teams Texas and Florida scheduled this past weekend will never be nor have they ever been powerhouse programs. Regardless of when they were scheduled, last year or ten years ago, they were weak then and will still be weak ten years from now. I agree with you that the best team will win regardless of injuries or anything else that goes on, that is why they are the best team. I don't think that a team with two losses out of the SEC should be left out of a playoff, but then neither should a team like Utah last year that was undefeated. The problem is the BCS, until there is a playoff no one will ever know which team is the best.

I'm being a homer here, but you're correct about the media bias. Vince Young should have won the Heisman instead of Reggie Bush. USC was being touted as the best college football team ever, blah, blah.

I don't know how anyone can say that Bradford is overrated. He has had a great college career and in some NFL mock drafts is the number one pick. At the worst a top five.
Bradford would have been the first pick last years draft. Bet he wishes now he had come out.

I think that the teams Texas and Florida scheduled this past weekend will never be nor have they ever been powerhouse programs. Regardless of when they were scheduled, last year or ten years ago, they were weak then and will still be weak ten years from now. I agree with you that the best team will win regardless of injuries or anything else that goes on, that is why they are the best team. I don't think that a team with two losses out of the SEC should be left out of a playoff, but then neither should a team like Utah last year that was undefeated. The problem is the BCS, until there is a playoff no one will ever know which team is the best.

So regardless of any teams anybody plays, you believe OK plays a harder schedule than FL? Not a chance.

And regardless of NFL status, that does not always make a great college football player. Tebow most likely will not even get drafted. Yet there is not a player in the country or maybe EVER with his resume.

To think that OK or TX has a media biased against them is absurd. They get the same attention as any other top school.

Tebow most likely will not even get drafted.

I would have said that 2 years ago, and maybe even early last year. But after last season, I think he will go early. Maybe even first round. He may not be the prototypical NFL QB, but he's a proven winner. Some team will take a chance that he can convert that to success on a professional level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back