Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a new 3W, the v series is great off the tee but not so much off the deck. Do I go old school with rocketballz or new tech.

As far as off the deck, i love my rbz 3 wood. That's part of the reason it's still in my bag

After my latest lesson and seeing my numbers on Trackman, there will be a couple changes to the bag once this new swing is ingrained! My pro mentioned that a new driver will probably be in the works by summer, just based on gains seen recently and anticipating continued improvement. He said it with a sly smile, so now I'm stoked!!! No idea which driver, or just changing shafts/head weight in mine, but it's fun to think I could reward myself after the work is put in!!!

Need a new 3W, the v series is great off the tee but not so much off the deck. Do I go old school with rocketballz or new tech.
Go hit the g30, and go hit the Vapor Flex.

If you want a really easy 3w to hit off the turf its hard to top the Cleveland 588. It's also very good from the tee and you have two lofts (14° and 15.5°) to choose from.

They are also very reasonably priced now.

Back to my MD2 TG's...or go RTX CB 2.0 54 (3-dot) and 58 (1-dot)...

You prefer smaller bounce on the high lofted wedges?

You prefer smaller bounce on the high lofted wedges?

Very much so, those are the wedges I open up a lot, and with the CB 2.0's the 1-dot in the 58 would get me the heel relief I want. More bounce on my 54 always because I use longer swings on it and get steeper with it.

Very much so, those are the wedges I open up a lot, and with the CB 2.0's the 1-dot in the 58 would get me the heel relief I want. More bounce on my 54 always because I use longer swings on it and get steeper with it.

I rarely ever open the face and play the flop... I tried a SM5 with 04 bounce and literally looked like I had never chipped/pitched or hit a 60 in my life. 60* is my favorite club in my bag... so is the really low bounce best for just opening the face?

Mizzy's not satisfying you??

Love the wedges, but their customer service with one of the members on their (Mizuno's) paint issues has just hacked me off royally.

C/S is a big thing for me personally, and the way they've handled that is a major turn off, don't hit the ball higher on the face isn't a good answer.

Makes sense. I currently have the opposite (low bounce 55, high bounce 60), but I don't open them up...ever. I also pick my wedge for any particular shot based on the lie (hard, soft, packed sand, fluffy sand), but I also have no idea what I'm doing, so I like to hear other's input as well.

I rarely ever open the face and play the flop... I tried a SM5 with 04 bounce and literally looked like I had never chipped/pitched or hit a 60 in my life. 60* is my favorite club in my bag... so is the really low bounce best for just opening the face?

I don't go for full flops hardly ever, but I will manipulate the face around the green as needed. With these, the lower bounce gives me more heel relief, also its worth noting I play on a LOT of hardpan throughout the year here so high bounce in a lob wedge is not bueno for me.

The 1-do 58 in the CB is 8* bounce not what I call super low for that club, IIRC the MD2 TG is 9* and my current 58 is 8* too.

Makes sense. I currently have the opposite (low bounce 55, high bounce 60), but I don't open them up...ever. I also pick my wedge for any particular shot based on the lie (hard, soft, packed sand, fluffy sand), but I also have no idea what I'm doing, so I like to hear other's input as well.

I'm a classic overthinker with the wedges hahaha

But the hardpan in this part of the US in the summer always dictates my wedge setup.

I don't go for full flops hardly ever, but I will manipulate the face around the green as needed. With these, the lower bounce gives me more heel relief, also its worth noting I play on a LOT of hardpan throughout the year here so high bounce in a lob wedge is not bueno for me.

The 1-do 58 in the CB is 8* bounce not what I call super low for that club, IIRC the MD2 TG is 9* and my current 58 is 8* too.

Ahhh... makes total sense. 8* is about where I am comfortable at. That SM5 was 4* and it felt impossible hitting it out of the rough.

I'm a classic overthinker with the wedges hahaha

But the hardpan in this part of the US in the summer always dictates my wedge setup.
I overthink everything. Haha. It's why I'm contemplating dropping a wedge. Less decisions = less thinking.

And then I will BLOW UP this thread contemplating adding a wedge when that doesn't work.

All this snow and crap weather has me inside and researching irons still. I'm still thinking that Amp or Bio Cells or D100/200s are right up my alley. Still close to SGI but should give me a bit more forgiveness than my Diablo Edges, and all within the price range I can get once I move my Bertha and the DEs. I've hit the Cells and like them a lot, haven't hit the D100s since I can't find them anywhere unfortunately but I've read they're definitely a step up from the Di11s.

I really want to like Altitudes and A12OS sets since they're targeted to my game (anywhere from 93-105 over 18 holes), but I just can't get past the looks. It's purely in my head, I know that, but when I had my Di11s I really enjoyed playing the 4i off the tee and for punch shots and I'd like to have that with a new set.

With as much snow we have on the ground I'm thinking of picking up at least one high bounce wedge. It's going to be wet for a while...

All this snow and crap weather has me inside and researching irons still. I'm still thinking that Amp or Bio Cells or D100/200s are right up my alley. Still close to SGI but should give me a bit more forgiveness than my Diablo Edges, and all within the price range I can get once I move my Bertha and the DEs. I've hit the Cells and like them a lot, haven't hit the D100s since I can't find them anywhere unfortunately but I've read they're definitely a step up from the Di11s.

I really want to like Altitudes and A12OS sets since they're targeted to my game (anywhere from 93-105 over 18 holes), but I just can't get past the looks. It's purely in my head, I know that, but when I had my Di11s I really enjoyed playing the 4i off the tee and for punch shots and I'd like to have that with a new set.

Cleveland MT are a good option in line with those that can be had for cheap these days.

Here ya go buddy. This is in the Deal of the Day thread
Thanks bud, but I'll hold off till I can actually try them out.

Official Equipment Pondering Thread

My limited experience with both wedges say RTX all the way.

Cleveland MT are a good option in line with those that can be had for cheap these days.
I agree. I'm in the same range as you Russ, and I think we have similar swing speeds as well ... I have been loving the MT 588's (5-DW) and while the 5i is a bit of a stretch to swing for me (these club shafts do run a bit longer than what I was gaming) the rest have been great. These can get the ball up, and the feel off the face is - to me - very crisp. I can from the XCG6's which were a very heavy and non-feedback sort of iron. These are the exact opposite.

As far as off the deck, i love my rbz 3 wood. That's part of the reason it's still in my bag
I was reminded how well I hit the club. That coupled with the lack of launch I am seeing with the vseries, means another 3w is being pondered

TomTom Golfer Watch. G30 LS Tec.

I am looking for a back up iron set that could possibly slide in to my bag for the long term if I end up hitting them well, but also a set I could put in play with ease and comfort at any point. I've seen some pretty good deals out there on the 588 MT's and Amp Cells. Anyone hit both and can let me know your thoughts? I will probably put them in my Nippon 950 GH's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back