Official Matthew Wolff Thread

Grins

AMDG
Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
With his win at the 3M Open Sunday, Matt Wolff becomes only the 3rd person to win an NCAA individual title and a PGA event in the same year (after Ben Crenshaw & Tiger Woods).

I love the unique quality of his swing, but mainly how much he wins & his self-confidence. I think we're looking at a future number 1 in the world.

He has a ton of talent, plus: he currently has the 2nd highest clubhead speed on tour (after Cameron Champ) - so he's got the power to keep up with anyone on tour right now.

Another interesting list:

Wolff became one of the members of a short list of the youngest players to win a PGA tour event:
1) 18 y, 6 m: Charles Kocsis (amateur, 1931)
2) 19y, 4d: Harry Cooper (1923)
3) 19y, 8m: Ralph Guldahl: (1931) (also won at 20y, 2m, 9d) - 3 majors
4) 19y, 10m: Johnny McDermott (1911) - 2 majors
5) 19y, 11m: Jordan Spieth (2013) - 3 majors
6) 20y, 5d: Gene Sarazen (1922) - 7 majors
7) 20y, 1m: Chick Evans Jr (amateur, 1910) – 1 major
8) 20y, 2m: Matthew Wolff (2019)
9) 20y, 4m: Francis Ouimet (amateur, 1913) - 1 major
10) 20y, 6m: Raymond Floyd (1963) - 4 majors
11) 20y, 6m: Phil Mickelson (1991) - 5 majors
12) 20y, 9m: Tiger Woods (1996) – 15 majors
also:
22y, 3m: Seve Ballesteros (who won at age 16 on the European tour) – 5 majors

I would have expected to see a few no-names on this list, just because in other major sports you see these lists of amazing rookie accomplishments and then their careers were cut short for whatever reason. Here, apart from Cooper (who is a hall of famer) and the amateurs, they are all multiple major winners. McDermott comes closest to the "rookie flameout" as he ended up in an asylum for most of his adult life after a mental breakdown.

Based on the track record, Matt Wolff looks like someone to bet on in majors (eventually).

That's a crazy list for him to be on, his future is looking really good!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

With his win at the 3M Open Sunday, Matt Wolff becomes only the 3rd person to win an NCAA individual title and a PGA event in the same year (after Ben Crenshaw & Tiger Woods).

I love the unique quality of his swing, but mainly how much he wins & his self-confidence. I think we're looking at a future number 1 in the world.

He has a ton of talent, plus: he currently has the 2nd highest clubhead speed on tour (after Cameron Champ) - so he's got the power to keep up with anyone on tour right now.

I know that stat is being used a lot, but didn't Phil win the NCAA and win on the PGA Tour as an am in the same year?

I know that stat is being used a lot, but didn't Phil win the NCAA and win on the PGA Tour as an am in the same year?

I bet they’re using the caveat that he was an amateur and not a pro yet. Garbage, cause wasn’t he one of the last am’s to do it on the PGA Tour? I think someone like Verplank did it after but I’m just going on memory with that.

I bet they’re using the caveat that he was an amateur and not a pro yet. Garbage, cause wasn’t he one of the last am’s to do it on the PGA Tour? I think someone like Verplank did it after but I’m just going on memory with that.

Yeah that must be it. I mean he won the NCAA and won a PGA Tour event, right?

I just checked: Phil won NCAA titles in 1989, 1990, and 1992.
He won his first PGA tournament in 1991 while still an amateur, so technically he’s not on this list. But Phil’s feat was still more impressive imho.

Yeah that must be it. I mean he won the NCAA and won a PGA Tour event, right?

Yeah, I guess he wound up having a pretty mediocre career after that. You know. Real journeyman :alien:

Yeah, I guess he wound up having a pretty mediocre career after that. You know. Real journeyman :alien:

If Wolff has half that career I imagine he’d be satisfied

As an amateur Verplank won the 1985 Western Open. As an amateur Mickelson won the 1991 Phoenix Open. Aside from actually winning a Tour event while playing as an amateur, I think the really cool thing both of these guys did was return to school and earn a degree (before turning pro).

As an amateur Verplank won the 1985 Western Open. As an amateur Mickelson won the 1991 Phoenix Open. Aside from actually winning a Tour event while playing as an amateur, I think the really cool thing both of these guys did was return to school and earn a degree (before turning pro).

Which was more necessary then, than now. With the prize and sponsorship money now available there’s no need if you’re legit like these kids coming out now.

Wolff will be an interesting player to watch for sure. I wonder how he will fare at the Open in two weeks? I think it's going to be a heck of a show !!

Wolff will be an interesting player to watch for sure. I wonder how he will fare at the Open in two weeks? I think it's going to be a heck of a show !!

He's not qualified for The Open.

Yup. It’s a bummer. Would have to win this week, correct?
That or finish in the Top 5 and be the only person not already qualified for The Open.

So how does Wolff fit into the FedEx picture? Can he now accrue pts towards the Cup?

He's not qualified for The Open.

Shoot! I didn't realize that. I figured this tournament was a qualifier (actually I thought any PGA event was).

Also pretty cool that Collin Morikawa gets to play the rest of the year on the tour. Hope he can pick up enough points to earn his card too. He looks like a player too.

It’s funny. For all the focus on Bryson’s distance, and rightfully so, he was second on driver distance this week.

To Wolffy.

This kid is crazy long. Shame he didn’t play all that well this week.

It’s funny. For all the focus on Bryson’s distance, and rightfully so, he was second on driver distance this week.

To Wolffy.

This kid is crazy long. Shame he didn’t play all that well this week.
And MW’s swing looks so much more fluid and sustainable

Which is crazy to say, right? Haha
Only is you pay attention to the backswing - I envy all of his swing positions and power. Just a natural athlete

Back