Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rays know how to stock a minor league system. Nice trade for both sides, but not sure how far this takes the Cubs in the central.

Nice pick up by the Cubs. I know the Rays have good tv ratings but when you have a team that makes the playoffs be 22nd in attendance average, you cant be too shocked when they sell off or dont re sign people.

They simply cannot compete in payroll on a grand scale so they lock up young guys to long term deals. This was to be a downward year with the major losses they have already suffered, so trading off a guy like Garza makes all the sense in the world long term. They traded a problem player for him and he did well for a few years. But they had no shot at re-signing him long term. They simply dont have the revenue and it is not just from attendance as we all know.

exactly why he won't get in
I'm still waiting for Frank White to get in. Five time all-star, eight Gold Gloves over 11 seasons (including six consecutive) and once went 62 straight games at second base without an error. His .255 lifetime Batting Average hurts. I guess he's going to have to get in as an old-timer. If and when that happens, that will be one time it's good they have that.

FWIW, Mazeroski also won 8 Gold Gloves and batted .260 lifetime. White should be a no-brainer.

exactly why he won't get in

That's the only knock against him. But Mazeroski only batted 5 points higher, not exactly a slugger either. White also hit 22 more home runs (playing in pitcher-friendly Royals Stadium) and had 33 more rbi's. I think if the one got in, the other makes as strong a case.

I doubt he will ever get in, just a gripe of mine.

Harmom Killerbrew is in with a .256

KILLEBREW
But he had just under 600 homeruns. ( I think around 570). Frank White had 150 or so I believe.

Harmom Killerbrew is in with a .256

I don't have his exact numbers in front of me but he's a 500 career homer guy. That alone is almost an automatic ticket into the HOF regardless of avg. (unless you're on the juice of course). Completely different animal than someone who has 'nice numbers and a good glove like F White.

They simply cannot compete in payroll on a grand scale so they lock up young guys to long term deals. This was to be a downward year with the major losses they have already suffered, so trading off a guy like Garza makes all the sense in the world long term. They traded a problem player for him and he did well for a few years. But they had no shot at re-signing him long term. They simply dont have the revenue and it is not just from attendance as we all know.
I agree that they are good at replenishing, this Lee kid while at single A is being compared to a Jose Reyes type, the arms they got for Bartlett are serviceable as well. We know that attendance isnt everything but it sure does help. I think that when a team competes all year, makes the playoffs and still comes in the bottom 3rd in attendance, it might be time to move on. It just seems to me like baseball isnt working in Tampa and im not too sure a new stadium wouild help.

I agree that they are good at replenishing, this Lee kid while at single A is being compared to a Jose Reyes type, the arms they got for Bartlett are serviceable as well. We know that attendance isnt everything but it sure does help. I think that when a team competes all year, makes the playoffs and still comes in the bottom 3rd in attendance, it might be time to move on. It just seems to me like baseball isnt working in Tampa and im not too sure a new stadium wouild help.

I wonder how attendance would change if they get their new stadium

Baseball is not in Tampa. Baseball is in St Pete. Therein lies one of the biggest issues. They can call it Tampa, but its 30-45 minutes away from most in Tampa. However with that being said, attendance has never ruled wins in MLB. Never. Revenue based on attendance is peanuts in comparison to TV. The bottom 3rd of MLB gets no attendance year after year and many have storied franchises. SHould they all move on? Maybe they should just eliminate 12 teams. That would actually be better for the watered down talent pool and pay scale differentials.

KILLEBREW
But he had just under 600 homeruns. ( I think around 570). Frank White had 150 or so I believe.

573 home runs got him in (fifth best when he retired).

I don't have his exact numbers in front of me but he's a 500 career homer guy. That alone is almost an automatic ticket into the HOF regardless of avg. (unless you're on the juice of course). Completely different animal than someone who has 'nice numbers and a good glove like F White.

Yea kinda realized that as I was typing his name ( the HRs) so what about Ozzie? .262 avg mostly a glove guy.

Yea kinda realized that as I was typing his name ( the HRs) so what about Ozzie? .262 avg mostly a glove guy.

He was/is considered the best fielding infielder of all time. A little different story.

Ozzie was amazing in the field. Even if he hit .200 his field play gets him in on its own. One of the best I ever saw with a glove.

+1000 I think contraction could really help Baseball. and Basketball. and Hockey.
Baseball is not in Tampa. Baseball is in St Pete. Therein lies one of the biggest issues. They can call it Tampa, but its 30-45 minutes away from most in Tampa. However with that being said, attendance has never ruled wins in MLB. Never. Revenue based on attendance is peanuts in comparison to TV. The bottom 3rd of MLB gets no attendance year after year and many have storied franchises. SHould they all move on? Maybe they should just eliminate 12 teams. That would actually be better for the watered down talent pool and pay scale differentials.

+1000 I think contraction could really help Baseball. and Basketball. and Hockey.

See but there is one thing constant with those other two sports. That MLB does not have.

See but there is one thing constant with those other two sports. That MLB does not have.

Revenue sharing.

So which teams do we kill?

He was/is considered the best fielding infielder of all time. A little different story.

Ozzie was amazing in the field. Even if he hit .200 his field play gets him in on its own. One of the best I ever saw with a glove.

Again I agree with both of you. Ozzie is the best that every played the position, fielding wise and deserves to be in the HOF because of it.

Revenue sharing.

So which teams do we kill?

No, MLB has revenue sharing. They just dont have a ceiling and they dont have a floor. Bad ownership, better tv revenue, larger markets, can always take chances that others cannot. it is the reason NFL is king. It is the reason that every other sport has adopted a similar policy.

But MLB could just hack off the bottom 12 teams and few would notice in the grand scheme of things. They are usually the same 12 that are at the bottom in attendance every year. They make a quick jump up for a few years in terms of winning and then drop again when salaries get too high. Everybody knows which 12 could go and nobody would blink.

what are your thoughts of Bill Mazeriski in the HOF? He has one of the most memorable home runs ever, but other than that he had a career avg of .260, 2016 hits, 138 HR, 853 RBI's, 8 gold gloves, and a 7 time all star

But those teams at the bottom are mostly poor run teams who have losing season after losing season. Im not a contraction type of guy, I think the watered down talent pool hurts pitching the most and leads to more high scoring games, which seems to be what the casual fan enjoys. I get the St Pete thing although I would kill for a 30 to 45 minute drive to the stadium.

what are your thoughts of Bill Mazeriski in the HOF? He has one of the most memorable home runs ever, but other than that he had a career avg of .260, 2016 hits, 138 HR, 853 RBI's, 8 gold gloves, and a 7 time all star

You are forgetting a couple of things. Going into the early 80s, Maz was considered arguably the best fielding 2nd baseman of all time by many. He made the double play famous and was the first to turn it the way modern day players turn it now. He changed the position. While most remember his "shot" they forget that he was Ozzie Smith before Ozzie was Ozzie Smith.

He is one that gets argued all the time, but when you "change" a position, I think you belong.

But those teams at the bottom are mostly poor run teams who have losing season after losing season. Im not a contraction type of guy, I think the watered down talent pool hurts pitching the most and leads to more high scoring games, which seems to be what the casual fan enjoys. I get the St Pete thing although I would kill for a 30 to 45 minute drive to the stadium.

You could also argue that they have losing after losing season because they cannot compete financially and when they finally get talent, the minute a contract comes up they leave in free agency. it is a catch 22 and MLB is the ONLY major domestic team sport that is run that way. Call it bad management, call it bad teams, call it many things, it almost is always related to money in the end. Poorly run teams in every single other sport still get attendance. Why? because they know they are on a level playing field and might be one draft or player away from being there. In MLB, they know that even the youngsters wont be there long term if they are in one of those bottom 12 teams. You will have sparks of good winning seasons, but longevity kills all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back