Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might be good as the #5 starter if a 7 game series were to go a little long.
5 game series: Lee Hamels Blanton Happ Lee

7 game series: Lee Hamels Blanton Happ Pedro Lee Hamels

Agreed. That is better than what we were getting from Moyer as a starter prior to the Martinez signing. As JB astutely pointed out, Pedro's change-up makes him still very effective and he's a big game pitcher. He definitely could get a spot start in the post season.

I wasn't saying he was bad, if that's what was implied in my post...I just think it's unrealistic for people to think he's going to keep pitching 7 innings and striking out 9.

He might be good as the #5 starter if a 7 game series were to go a little long.
5 game series: Lee Hamels Blanton Happ Lee

7 game series: Lee Hamels Blanton Happ Pedro Lee Hamels

It seems like a good problem for Charlie to have. I bet Happ gets put in the pen.

K.C. Royals update:

Now we have to go 12-17 (.414) the rest of the way to avoid 100 losses. Currently they are 51-82 (.383) so they have to play 31 points better than they have the entire season. Good luck with that!

K.C. Royals update:

Now we have to go 12-17 (.414) the rest of the way to avoid 100 losses. Currently they are 51-82 (.383) so they have to play 31 points better than they have the entire season. Good luck with that!

Smalls, why are you torturing yourself with the Royals????? haha There's always next year.

Smalls, why are you torturing yourself with the Royals????? haha There's always next year.

Or, the year after that. Or the year after that. Or, the year after THAT. Ad nauseum.

Adam Wainwright gets his 17th win. The Cards are rolling.

Adam Wainwright gets his 17th win. The Cards are rolling.
He has Albert to thank or it would have been a no-decision or loss.

Not too many pay attention to home field in baseball, but the race for home field in the NL has got quite interesting. Based on percentage points, the Cards and Dodgers are tied and the Phillies are only a few points behind. Mostly due to that the Phillies have played fewer games to this point. It should get real interesting the rest of the month. I would rather have 3 games at home in the DS and 4 in the LCS.

He has Albert to thank or it would have been a no-decision or loss.

Not too many pay attention to home field in baseball, but the race for home field in the NL has got quite interesting. Based on percentage points, the Cards and Dodgers are tied and the Phillies are only a few points behind. Mostly due to that the Phillies have played fewer games to this point. It should get real interesting the rest of the month. I would rather have 3 games at home in the DS and 4 in the LCS.

Ill take those first two at home anytime in the playoffs. I just hope the Dodgers can start scoring some runs again or home field means nothing and it will be a short post season.

Has anyone been watching this Twins/Tigers battle for the division? They open up a 4 game set on Monday and the Twins are only 3 back, it should be good.

If anyone has a closer that the Phillies could borrow for the post season, please let them know. thank you :angry:

Didn't even notice it, but three games ago the Royals won their 63rd game this season. No 100 losses for them! Woo Hoo! In fact, they moved past three more teams and now have only the fifth worst record in baseball instead of the second worst. What a successful season for Kansas City!

Last edited:
Well the Texas Strangers did a little better this year but folded again at crunch time. Nolan Ryan has had a big impact on this young team and they should be better next year. Not sure they can beat the Angels but they should be able to make the playoffs for the first time in about 10 years. At least he stopped them from trading away their best young pitchers every year for home run hitters. Believe me it is hard to be a Ranger's fan, I have tried.

It is hard in the AL to make the playoffs without winning the division. With the Yanks and the Sox both on pace to be at or near the best records in the game, it makes the Wild Card VERY hard.

Well the Texas Strangers did a little better this year but folded again at crunch time. Nolan Ryan has had a big impact on this young team and they should be better next year. Not sure they can beat the Angels but they should be able to make the playoffs for the first time in about 10 years. At least he stopped them from trading away their best young pitchers every year for home run hitters. Believe me it is hard to be a Ranger's fan, I have tried.

Man, Feldman didnt look too good yesterday, but that kid had one hell of a year. You guys gave the Sox a run but it seems like they kind of tanked after all of those rain outs.

If anyone has a closer that the Phillies could borrow for the post season, please let them know. thank you :angry:

I feel your pain. Our Ace cant even throw strikes right now. He looked good the other night but that was against the Nats. Billingsley might be suffering from Barry Zitoitus.

It is hard in the AL to make the playoffs without winning the division. With the Yanks and the Sox both on pace to be at or near the best records in the game, it makes the Wild Card VERY hard.

The Rangers have had two things have a major impact on their success or lack of it over the past 20 years, and they are not what most people would think of.
The Rangers made a huge mistake when they spent big money on that new stadium years ago and didn't put a dome over it. The summer heat is excruciating on the field in August and even well into September usually, it is too hot to sit in the stands for a day or afternoon game let alone play and it isn't much cooler at night. The other has to do with ownership and cable TV coverage of the games. 20 years ago the Rangers were for sale and the Gaylord Broadcasting empire wanted to buy them and the deal was killed by the other ML owners, what Gaylord wanted to do was set up a superstation to broadcast Ranger games all over the world, the Rangers are very popular in Mexico, Central America and in the Caribbean. They have very large followings in these areas. This system would have established the kind of network for the Rangers that the Yankees and the Braves have and it is no coincidence that those two teams have had huge success over the past 20 years or so. Basically these two factors, no dome and killing the deal with Gaylord, doomed the Rangers to small market type payroll mediocrity along with Pittsburgh, Kansas City and other small market teams.

Agreed, however similar to Atlanta, they are not a true baseball city it seems. Braves payroll has done nothing but go down and they have no money to spend.

Man, Feldman didnt look too good yesterday, but that kid had one hell of a year. You guys gave the Sox a run but it seems like they kind of tanked after all of those rain outs.

I have tried to be a Ranger fan and failed at it, 'you guys' doesn't really apply to me. You are right Feldman is a decent young pitcher, had a chance to win 20 games this year in fact, don't be surprised if they trade him for this years version of Pete Incaviglia or for Milton Bradley or some other dunce who can hit a few home runs when it doesn't count. I am a baseball fan, not a fan of any one team, so I have to get my baseball fix where I can. The Rangers are just too hard to follow closely.

Agreed, however similar to Atlanta, they are not a true baseball city it seems. Braves payroll has done nothing but go down and they have no money to spend.

I am not talking about today, you have to look at the long term. Recently yes they are down, but 10 years ago? 15? Over the past 20+ years they have arguably been the best team in baseball, year in and year out, on a consistent basis. A Braves fan can be proud of what maybe 10-15 pennants in the last 25 years? Compare that to the Rangers who have only made the playoffs once or twice in the past 20 years. During most of that time Boston was not a factor so all they had to worry about then was losing to the Yankees who beat them and went on to win the WS both times.

I'm just hoping things keep going like they are for the post season. 2 teams I want to see make it are looking good for the playoffs - but only if the Tigers can hold off the Twins.

St. Louis, as I've been a Cardinals fans since I was about 3.

Detroit, because they picked up Jarrod Washburn for the stretch. Gotta root for old friends from HS.

I wonder what will happen if the Phills are up on the Cards in the 9th with a couple on and Pujols coming up. Will Lidge crap down both legs and crawl off the mound or will he just serve up another hanging slider so Pujols can see how far he can hit it (again)?

I wonder what will happen if the Phills are up on the Cards in the 9th with a couple on and Pujols coming up. Will Lidge crap down both legs and crawl off the mound or will he just serve up another hanging slider so Pujols can see how far he can hit it (again)?

Haha, that had to be one of the better NLCS in recent years. Im hoping we dont see you guys in the first round. The Phils need to drop a few in a row.

Haha, that had to be one of the better NLCS in recent years. Im hoping we dont see you guys in the first round. The Phils need to drop a few in a row.

I too hope the Phillies drop a few so we finish ahead of them. I wouldn't mind so much playing a NLCS in LA. We have shown this year that we can beat you at our place or yours. Will that translate into the postseason? Who knows. I know I don't want to be the road team for a 5 or 7 game series with Philly.

I too hope the Phillies drop a few so we finish ahead of them. I wouldn't mind so much playing a NLCS in LA. We have shown this year that we can beat you at our place or yours. Will that translate into the postseason? Who knows. I know I don't want to be the road team for a 5 or 7 game series with Philly.

To be honest, I hope the Rockies take you out in the first round.:act-up:
I hate when the Dodgers play the Cards, but I would rather see them in a 7 game series than a short one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back