Official Politics Thread

Is that allowed? I mean they aren't old enough to vote. I'm surprised they were allowed behind the curtain with you.

Spoiler
Someone had to start something in here. Right? :banana:

The election folks said they could come in the booth with me, so long as I made sure they didn't push stray buttons. My kids have been very excited about the election, and I figured it was a good civics lesson.

If you want to stir up something a little different, we could always discuss religion. :bicker:

I took the kids with me, and they liked being in the booth and pushing the button to record my vote.

Claire's vote doesn't count! :wink:

Mine doesn't either though...I always think with those electronic things that it's just going to disappear and never be counted. What do we have in Texas? The electronic things. Sure enough.

The election folks said they could come in the booth with me, so long as I made sure they didn't push stray buttons. My kids have been very excited about the election, and I figured it was a good civics lesson.

If you want to stir up something a little different, we could always discuss religion. :bicker:

I guess if you had permission.

Let's not get into religion. :bicker: We might not talk ever again if we did. :banana:

Claire's vote doesn't count! :wink:

Mine doesn't either though...I always think with those electronic things that it's just going to disappear and never be counted. What do we have in Texas? The electronic things. Sure enough.

My vote is irrelevant for the presidential election, but I lived in D.C. long enough that I'm grateful to have any voice in Congress.

I trust electronic voting more than I trust humans counting paper ballots.

Let's not get into religion. :bicker: We might not talk ever again if we did. :banana:

Oh, so I guess this isn't the time to say that I'm a radical, militant Islamist? :female-fighter: In fact, the slogan under my name is because it's impossible to take a full swing with that burka on. :D

My vote is irrelevant for the presidential election, but I lived in D.C. long enough that I'm grateful to have any voice in Congress.

I trust electronic voting more than I trust humans counting paper ballots.

I was teasing, you know. :smile:

But seriously, I don't mind what we had in MN and Chicago, which was an electronic reader thing. It read it immediately, but the paper ballot was there should they need to count it if the machine crashes or whatever.

Today I had basically a hand held device with buttons - what if that thing breaks? Everything is just lost.

I was teasing, you know. :smile:

Oh of course I know. I've just been reading (okay, listening to at the gym, I'm such a nerd :glasses-nerdy:) the latest book on the Supreme Court, and recently went through 2000 in Florida again. After all those butterfly ballots and hanging chads, I prefer to rely on electronics.

pretty much apolitical here, was undecided until the very end and ended up voting for the candidate who plays golf cuz figured it would be best for the game

and obama girl influenced me just a tad

[youtube]wKsoXHYICqU&feature=channel[/youtube]

If I was a yank I'd vote for Obama too....what am I saying...I am a yankee.

My sister in law works in politics and now works for a state senator. What goes on behind the scenes is twisted. I get to hear the real scoop regularly. These guys (non gender specific) are typically egomaniacs who seek to be the center of attention and have power.
I don't think you could pay me enough to be the president.

So who got your guy's presidential vote?!?!?!

Kidding :banana:

Harry hates when things are ruined for him cause he tivos everything, so I'll put this in spoilers.

Spoiler
Obama won. :wink: :love: you Harry.

I hope he does the country well. He was not my choice, but let's give him a chance. He's got an uphill battle.
402.gif

I think we have yet to see the worse in the financial market... right now, corporate leaders are cringing during his speech

Harry hates when things are ruined for him cause he tivos everything, so I'll put this in spoilers.

Spoiler
Obama won. :wink: :love: you Harry.

It was a tap in eagle wasn't it rather than a 12 foot birdie.

I think we have yet to see the worse in the financial market... right now, corporate leaders are cringing during his speech

How do you think the market will open tomorrow? Im assuming it will tank, but im no expert.

I feel sorry for anyone that works for themselves right now. We are about to get destroyed.

I hope he does the country well. He was not my choice, but let's give him a chance. He's got an uphill battle.
402.gif

I liked how in his "victory" speech he said that change might not happen in the first year or the first term. How can you base your whole platform on change and then say well it might not happen. :confused2: I told my wife I'll give him a year before I start b*tching about him. After that he's fair game. :bicker:

How do you think the market will open tomorrow? Im assuming it will tank, but im no expert.

as of this morning, my funds have an average of 345,000 loss on their futures accounts

I'll be the first to say Bush wasn't the greatest of presidents, I'll also say that the conditions we are in are not entirely his fault. The media, and people in general, perceive the president as having magical economic powers. There are market forces that go well beyond government.

Anyways, I feel that we just passed the torch onto to the exact the same politician... just on the other side of the spectrum. I'm curious how he'll translate the very little he did in senate to his new executive position.

It's like sending an 8 year old against an MLB hitter, realizing he can't do it then sending out another 8 year old.

Buy on the rumor, sell on the news. In the short term, the markets overreact wildly. In the long term, they eventually get it right. Sadly, no one knows when that will be. I still think anyone who can gut it out now will have serious bragging rights in 3-5 years.

Buy on the rumor, sell on the news. In the short term, the markets overreact wildly. In the long term, they eventually get it right. Sadly, no one knows when that will be. I still think anyone who can gut it out now will have serious bragging rights in 3-5 years.

Just like everyone who believed Clinton was a marvelous economist... haha

DD,
You are right. He rode the Dotcommers perfectly.

I'll be the first to say Bush wasn't the greatest of presidents, I'll also say that the conditions we are in are not entirely his fault. The media, and people in general, perceive the president as having magical economic powers. There are market forces that go well beyond government.

I agree with what your saying, I was thinking more from a short term speculating end of it. I dont remember how the market reacted to past elections, but it would seem as though it rallies on election day, then comes back to earth the next. Kind of like earnings season.

Just like everyone who believed Clinton was a marvelous economist... haha

Bob Rubin didn't do so badly, but he's hardly distinguished himself in the private sector. So my guess is he ain't going back to D.C.

I agree with what your saying, I was thinking more from a short term speculating end of it. I dont remember how the market reacted to past elections, but it would seem as though it rallies on election day, then comes back to earth the next. Kind of like earnings season.

The markets like it best when there's gridlock. Specifically, they really like it when we've got a Democratic president and a Republican congress. With Democrats across the board, I'm not so optimistic about short-term market reaction.

Still, Obama's a really really smart guy and he's spent a lot of his career hanging around with fiscal conservatives. I don't think we're looking at the Weimar Republic.

Still, Obama's a really really smart guy and he's spent a lot of his career hanging around with fiscal conservatives. I don't think we're looking at the Weimar Republic.

See thats where I get nervous, while campaigning
the guy couldnt seem to differentiate some of the simple things on a finnancial statement. Between all the Revenues and Net Income mix ups, I never really got where he stood on his tax plans for small businesses.

I've heard a lot of interesting things this morning, in the media and from friends and colleagues.

Prior to the election they talked about Obama and change, and a new direction... I've heard a GREAT deal of "well, I hope he can change things"

Now that is over I think people are starting to realize the glitz and glamour of Obama is over and now he has to get to work

Back