Official Politics Thread

Newt Gingrich may have stood a good chance of winning in this election, if he had chosen to participate. He's as close to the second coming of Ronald Reagan as there is out there. He'll be 69 in 2012. I hope he runs then.

The democrats had their end in the Fannie Mae / Freddie Mac fiasco. It was under the Clinton administration that they stressed increasing the lending pools into segments of the population that were previously avoided. Along with low rates, they wanted to increase lending practices in urban and poor areas. This is a financial crisis that goes beyond any party.

People who blame Bush often view the situation in simple terms. There is plenty of blame but the doom and gloom outlook on conservatives, ideas that won Obama an election, are just typical partisanship that fills the media.

Granted this may have been building for decades.... and people are responsible for their actions... but governments are there for the people not the other way around. It appears that the government financial regulators and watchdogs let everybody including their president down.

You are correct, but you are forgetting that both democrats and republicans have been in office. Just because the president is part of one party, does not mean that party rules everything. In fact there are many interviews floating around when a certain democratic politician said "that fannie mae / freddie mac looked solid" and "to buy them". He got called out on it recently and of course placed the blame elsewhere. When they showed him the tape of his own interview he walked off the show and started screaming.

After having a day to swallow everything that just happened, I think im going to wait and see what Obama does until I start complaining. The way I look at it is that I already run a business in the ridiculously regulated state of California, how much worse could Obama be, except for when he increases our taxes. But other than that, I will survive. After all, I dont think he will start taking our children and putting them in Olympic training camps(like other communist countries do) until at least his second term.

It may be Arnie you will have to keep an eye on regarding tax increases. He will will want to beat Obama to the bikkies. It may be that Obama may have to decrease federal taxes in CA to offset Arnie's.

Actually met Arnie and Franco Columbo in 1971 at Surfer's Paradise during the Mr Olympia competition. Lot of fun in this bloke, a real character and smart as a whip.

people use that word much to often... we are not in a recession my friend, the word has an actual definition. Two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth. We may have a slowing economy, a bad quarter followed by a standard quarter but we are not in a recession.

that is only one definition of what is a recession. it is generally defined as a period of reduced economic activity and we are clearly in this now.

"generally a period"... economic definitions have concrete parameters because it is important to be able to break down conditions using mathematical equations.

Two months of economic slow down does not equate to a recession... the recession of post 9/11 - 2001 was a true recession

is anyone else curious why national security really wasnt a massive issue. it appeared iraq was the only issue being discussed

It may be Arnie you will have to keep an eye on regarding tax increases. He will will want to beat Obama to the bikkies. It may be that Obama may have to decrease federal taxes in CA to offset Arnie's.

Actually met Arnie and Franco Columbo in 1971 at Surfer's Paradise during the Mr Olympia competition. Lot of fun in this bloke, a real character and smart as a whip.

Funny you mention this as Arnold announced today that he wants to increase the state sales tax by 1.5% which would bring the sales tax in Los Angeles to 10.75%. How crazy is that? Next thing you know they are going to take over our newspapers too.

10.75!!!! man, oh man... I knew it was high but not that bad

we're still at 5 here in Taxachusetts

We are at 7 and have been for a while, but we still have no state income tax thank God.

i'm feeling so patriotic with obama's victory, i'm going to start paying extra taxes

Very well said DD. No matter what candidate ran against the Democrats this election, they would have lost. Because the liberal party ran against Bush. They spoke CHANGE. And change is good, but it was never outlined what they were going to change other than to raise the crap out of taxes to small business (Joe the Plumber).

Then in the first speech our new President gives, he says no change is coming anytime soon.

That was exactly my feeling through this whole campaign, McCain had no chance of winning. Sadly the Republican party has moved away from being conservative and more towards "moderates". It looks like people will still vote conservative when they know that is an option, i.e. California voting on the gay marriage issue.

BTW Ganga, whether you feel patriotic or not you will be paying extra taxes next year, despite what Obama says.
(Mike beat me to it.)

"generally a period"... economic definitions have concrete parameters because it is important to be able to break down conditions using mathematical equations.

Two months of economic slow down does not equate to a recession... the recession of post 9/11 - 2001 was a true recession

we are seeing massive lay-offs and drops in consumer spending, bank failures,... on and on the list goes, if we wait to meet the technical definition, we will be long gone over the cliff and crashed

the signs are all there for a recession or worse

1 quarter of down time is not a recession. It was mistakes by lenders and consumers spending more than they should.

Were at 8.25% right now, but they just passed a proposition on Tuesday that will bring it up another .50%. Arnold is just proposing an increase, but knowing California they will let it slide.

*EDIT* I just read the article, it woul bring it to 10.25%

I assure you it has nothing to do with how much you earn.

Were at 8.25% right now, but they just passed a proposition on Tuesday that will bring it up another .50%. Arnold is just proposing an increase, but knowing California they will let it slide.

*EDIT* I just read the article, it woul bring it to 10.25%

arnold is just a tax and spend republican

arnold is just a tax and spend republican

I wouldnt say that, he was ready to make cuts when the crazies in Sacramento wouldnt work with the budget. Then the second he doesnt get his way he threatens to raise taxes. Its not the spending it just that our budget is so ridiculous.

It's too bad we can't clone this man and keep voting him in

It's too bad we can't clone this man and keep voting him in

A few things I found that were funny and/or interesting.
The last one(from, I believe, 1964) is a must see:

[YOUTUBE]RRUbwnkEPqc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]p5D6RnMbfHI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]xpJJa1y1ihk&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

We will miss him!

We will miss him!

[YOUTUBE]BMfAAKnAFwo[/YOUTUBE]

Does anybody watch Fox News channel? I was so glad that Obama won the White House in light of Fox's undisguised bias towards the Republican vote. Watching Fox's personallities after the election trying to convince viewers that their reporting was balanced was pitiful.

I do. ....

Does anybody watch Fox News channel? I was so glad that Obama won the White House in light of Fox's undisguised bias towards the Republican vote. Watching Fox's personallities after the election trying to convince viewers that their reporting was balanced was pitiful.

It's on in this house sometimes...I actually have no problem with biased news, and flip between channels anyway. (There are sources that are unbiased, usually print.) I figure there's so much liberal media, why not have some conservative media? Just don't call it unbiased. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck...

Back