Status
Not open for further replies.

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
Okay, let's make this official.

A few years ago, we decided to do a low key home sound/television system. Not too fancy, but speakers throughout the first floor and all the equipment wired in together.

The not too fancy part was the problem. At least a couple of years ago, find an outfit that would do something smallish for a homeowner. We got referred around until we found someone who would do it.

Which was probably our first mistake. It's done, but something is always going wrong. Getting the guy to come out and deal with it is impossible. Doesn't return phone calls (I swear he sees my number on his cell and runs), doesn't return emails. When I finally get ahold of him, he promises to come and never does. It can take a couple of months to get him to show.

So last night we were unable to get any video. I hate having a big, hi-def flat screen television and telling the kids they have to go to the basement to watch television.

We should probably start from scratch, but in this economy? Well, maybe we'd get a better outfit to figure it all out.

Grrrr. Don't know when I'm going to have a working television in my family room again. Never mind all the other little glitches we've been working with.

Sorry to hear that. I have never really had a problem with any of the stuff I have had equipment wise. In my last house, we had an 8 person theater setup complete with 12 ft screen and seats. And not once had a problem. I think your installer might have made some mistakes. Call someone and get them to come out to give you a free estimate on what it would cost to fix it for good.

This is now a sticky and will be here for everyones rants each day. Thanks Claire

It sounds like you got a half-assed install. I've done a couple of home theaters, lots of big huge churches, a few schools, and never once had a call back.

I wish I knew a way to help you out, but not being able to look at it in person, along with the manuals, it's hard to tell.

http://www.clarkpromedia.com/site/index.html

Try calling these guys, explain that you have a home theater, and see who they recommend. I've done a couple of big jobs with them, and they're SUPER sharp, and may be able to help you find a contractor in your area that's going to be able to fix the mess. If you strike out, let me know, I'll see what else I can do to get you going down the right path.

Oh great--now I'm sticky.

Thanks, guys. I went to the equipment maker's web site, but clearly I need to figure out which model I have. I figure I'll torture them. Maybe they have someone else around her who deals with this stuff. At a minimum, they need to know they have a lousy distributer.

Someone should give a rat's *ss about this, right?

Rant mode on. So I am not a big myspace user, but I do keep up with some old friends there that have relocated to different parts of the country(hung out with a friend in St. Pete's last weekend I haven't seen in 10+ years thanks to myspace). However, the one thing that annoys me to no end is the ads with the super hot chick acting like she is talking to you on her webcam that are everywhere on that site. Rant mode off

ESPN.com

ESPN.com

Why is it that the only videos that work on ESPN.com are only the ones that I don't want to see and start automatically with extra loud volume?

[RANT]

Ever since I got back from Oregon, I can't swing a club for sh*t. I don't know what it is, in Oregon I was hitting the ball amazingly, and now I can't hit an 8 iron 100 yards! It feels like I'm swinging the same, which I'm obviously not, but I cannot hit the ball. Seriously I hit tops, fats, shanks, thins, you name it, I've hit it in the last 1 1/2 weeks (as long as it is a bad shot)

And to add to this, I'm the kind of guy who misses one day of swinging and my swing goes to hell for 2 or 3 days, and just recently I jammed my finger hard, and wasn't able to swing for a week.

So I hate when I can't hit a ball like I know I can :at-wits-end:

[/RANT]

Today's rant: I have an inexpensive alarm clock with an out-of-date microchip. Darn thing set itself back overnight, and I can't change it!! So for the next week (or two? I forget), I have to set my alarm back an hour.

I have a rant!

Does anyone stop to get gas and feel like they're taking a quiz? I want to insert card, pick up lever, and have gas come out like I used to, but first (and only since recently,) there's that wonderful series of questions.

This was my day today:

For starters, there are three different buttons for "yes," "ok," and "enter," which to me all mean the same thing in computerspeak.

1. Swipe card. (Done.)
2. Is this a debit card? ("No." The computer pauses. "No"..."enter?" Oh wait, it's going again.)
3. Enter zip code. (This is a trick, since I have an out of state card for a local account. And as a conspiracy, you always have to roll your finger over the 5 a few times, and my old zip code has two fives in a row. OK, done..."yes." No! "Enter!")
4. Re-enter zip code for confirmation. (Pulling my hair out! I suspect it's an out-of-stater hater thing.)
5. Car wash? (JERKS! It could be -5 deg F and they'll ask this!)
6. Select fuel. (Scan keypad for button. It's not on the keypad. It's by the handle.)
7. Begin fueling. (OK. Handle in. Button locked. And...no fuel. "OK?" Wait, there's a little lever to lift on this machine. Wait, the computer paused. Did I lose everything? "Enter?" "Yes?" Oh wait, it's going again.)
8. Proceed with 30 second fueling.

Last edited:
I have a rant!

Does anyone stop to get gas and feel like they're taking a quiz? I want to insert card, pick up lever, and have gas come out like I used to, but first (and only since recently,) there's that wonderful series of questions.

It may have been so subtle to have missed it. The machines have taken over. :skeleton:

I have a rant!

This was my day today:

For starters, there are three different buttons for "yes," "ok," and "enter," which to me all mean the same thing in computerspeak.

1. Swipe card. (Done.)
2. Is this a debit card? ("No." The computer pauses. "No"..."enter?" Oh wait, it's going again.)
3. Enter zip code. (This is a trick, since I have an out of state card for a local account. And as a conspiracy, you always have to roll your finger over the 5 a few times, and my old zip code has two fives in a row. OK, done..."yes." No! "Enter!")
4. Re-enter zip code for confirmation. (Pulling my hair out! I suspect it's an out-of-stater hater thing.)
5. Car wash? (JERKS! It could be -5 deg F and they'll ask this!)
6. Select fuel. (Scan keypad for button. It's not on the keypad. It's by the handle.)
7. Begin fueling. (OK. Handle in. Button locked. And...no fuel. "OK?" Wait, there's a little lever to lift on this machine. Wait, the computer paused. Did I lose everything? "Enter?" "Yes?" Oh wait, it's going again.)
8. Proceed with 30 second fueling.

And while we're at it--why can't ATMs ask the same questions in the same order? I get so used to pushing a series of buttons that sometimes I don't look. Then I'm truly screwed.

here's my rant!

sand_trap_logo.gif

Here's one:

IT goes in overnight, and proceeds to block damn near everything on the 'net.

This is up (for now), we'll see how long it lasts. Crap like this is never a good thing in a job, when they need to police the employees (especially those of us working 60-80 hour weeks)

This crap pisses me off.

Here's one:

IT goes in overnight, and proceeds to block damn near everything on the 'net.

This is up (for now), we'll see how long it lasts. Crap like this is never a good thing in a job, when they need to police the employees (especially those of us working 60-80 hour weeks)

This crap pisses me off.

You have room in that boat? I've got the same problem. They came in the other day and cleaned up my computer. Got rid of a couple of things and they reinstalled the filter so now a lot of clean sites can't be viewed. :angry:

Luckily I still have THP. :banana:

And we are lucky to have you Bogey

official rant... we have a very close family friend who is a member at Isleworth (Tiger's home club) and has invited my younger brother several times. He has played Doral, Lake Nona, Isleworth, and Bay Hill... he is 17 and I'm going to guess a 28 handicap.

I am officially jealous, he is going AGAIN during his winter break

and me? no invite

Watching the Champion's Tour on TGC, I've never seen so many commercials during one broadcast. One golf shot, then 3 or 4 commercials all for geriatric crap, WTF! I don't need a MediCare supplement! Besides, what old person's up at this hour, we all know they go to bed at dark (yes, that was a loaded comment, I know)

It was almost as nauseating as watching a TNT broadcast of a golf event.

Why is it that the person you need to sign something disappears? You see him 5 minutes before you need him to sign it and then you can't find him again until hours later, when it's now too late to get it taken care of today?

Why is it that the person you need to sign something disappears? You see him 5 minutes before you need him to sign it and then you can't find him again until hours later, when it's now too late to get it taken care of today?

Does Australia distinguish between notarized and guaranteed signatures? Anyone can be a notary (practically), but only asset custodians (broker/dealers and banks) can guarantee signatures. Getting a signature guaranteed is such a pain in the rear.

[My proudest moment was forging a client's signature and then notarizing my own forgery--all with the client's consent, of course.]

Does Australia distinguish between notarized and guaranteed signatures? ...

Sorry Claire, that sounds like a banking & finance question. I'm an employment lawyer. Although, I'm trying to work my way towards being a golfing lawyer.

My proudest moment was forging a client's signature and then notarizing my own forgery--all with the client's consent, of course.]

I suppose you're expecting a visit from the Secret Service because of the printing press in the basement??

I suppose you're expecting a visit from the Secret Service because of the printing press in the basement??

Nah--the statute of limitations has run. Or I wouldn't have said that.

A girlfriend who's an employment lawyer always described her job as, "helping big corporations screw their employees legally."

Nah--the statute of limitations has run. Or I wouldn't have said that.

A girlfriend who's an employment lawyer always described her job as, "helping big corporations screw their employees slowly & painfully."

Fixed it for ya.
684.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back